Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling to the council

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I can understand a degree of upset if houses in the area you wish to purchase are being bought by the local authority. On the other hand, there are many people who can't afford the high rents currently being charged and don't have any hope for saving up for a deposit to buy a house given those same rents. Where are those people going to live if councils don't make basic accommodation available to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Council bidding against itself lol,all you need to is wait for a little while after refusing the first bid, or get somebody to make a fake bid and then they come in again with another bid.

Couldn't make this stuff up, the sheer incompetence and waste of public funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And why would people bother trying to buy a house when the council will just do it for them?

Traditionally, those who were of modest means would have availed themselves of humble council accommodation at an affordable rent, while the better off would have bought privately in order to live in a larger house, among other better off people.

Now, hard working people bust their nuts to buy a house, struggle to pay for it among rising interest rates and they live next door to freeloading council tenants whose maintenance, property tax and housing costs are covered by taxation.

• Advertisement

But these sky high rents and prices in the private market also mean a greater need for council accommodation for lower paid workers. Would you not agree that, for example, a childcare assistant living and working in Dublin should have at the very minimum an own-door studio apartment at a rent they can afford? Yet looking at prices on Daft, their take home pay would not cover it even if all their money was given over to rent with nothing left over for food etc. This is why council accommodation is needed now more than ever.

The rents and prices are being driven up by a few factors, one of which is the amount of meddling the government are doing in the market. When the biggest spender of money in the country is flexing its muscles in the first time property market and competing with first time buyers the result is the increase in demand without supply and resulting increase in prices.

The problem is and always was supply, and the governments solution to a supply problem is to make the demand greater instead of making the supply greater. The councils could build two houses or three houses (they own the land) for every one that they are buying. Or they could renovate 4 or 5 derelict houses for every one that they are buying.

The governments short term goal is to reduce the ridiculous and (inaccurate) homeless figures in the short term and buying houses is faster than building them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I see a tweet from a TD this morning saying they Govt have bought over 1500 homes this year for people in private rents when a landlord was selling.

This is obscene. All you have to do is get a landlord to rent you a house and it is yours forever ?

I would agree partly that government, through purchasing on the private market, push up prices to a certain extent. I would not have thought that the numbers purchased are sufficiently large to make much of a difference.

Also I doubt that the council building their own council housing makes much of a difference compared to buying from developers. The same resources that are needed for councils to build council housing: land, labour, materials etc, are diverted away from the private market pushing up prices for private buyers in just the same way as if the councils bought directly from developers.

Like I said earlier, however, I do understand the frustration first time buyers experience when they hear a property they might have been going for has been bought up. But I also think this frustration is misplaced.

You can see however that the number 1,500 is not really sufficient to have a major upward effect on prices.

I'm also of the view that large numbers of small private landlords are not good in terms of building a long-term secure rental sector. So this purchase scheme is a way of helping them out of the market.

• Advertisement

The council ( the government / government departments like the HSE and agencies own massive amounts of land that they can build on). They also have the power to rezone land as needed if needed.

Removing the purchase cost of land from construction and having council streamlined planning for themselves, removing developers profits, removing many legal fees, auctioneer fees makes the cost construction a lot lower.

OK you say that land banks held by government authorities should be used to build housing. Yes, but would not the same objections occur here if that land is used exclusively for social housing? What about the FTB, it might be argued, should the government not sell that land to the private sector so that FTBs get a chance to buy housing on it? And then what happens when those land banks are used up?

On the other point, yes, possibly some administrative fees could be saved though I don't think planning would be eased significantly. The same process would have to be gone through.

When we talk about councils building homes, I think it is unlikely that we will return to the days when councils employed directly brickies and the like to build houses. But if they did, there would be upward pressure on wages which would affect costs in the private sector too.

More likely it will be private companies contracted to build estates employing subcontractors and the like. While possibly more cost-effective, profits would have to be made by those companies just like if they are operating in the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Imagine how many houses the government could build out on that site for the prison thats been idle for the last 20 years.

Imagine how many houses the government could build out on that site for the prison that's been idle for the last 20 years.

But then, of course, you have the FTB crowd whinging (understandably in fairness) that that land should be sold so that private developers can build on it and sell to them.

Ultimately every council house built is at the expense of a potential FTB purchase, just like if the council buys directly off the open market.

While this may have some upward effect on house prices, it is needed in order that low paid workers are also housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Nobody will be complaining if the councils build cheaper houses on sites the government already own and then give them to council tenants and let the let normal buyers who have to pay for houses actually buy houses in the cities where they work without having to compete with their own tax money being used against them.

I think what you are forgetting is opportunity cost.

All building of council homes, however, means diverting resources away from the private sector and ultimately properties being available to FTBs and other private purchasers.

Let us say a council owns a site worth 20 million on the open market near the centre of a city. They could sell this land to developers and use the money to buy properties elsewhere, perhaps further out from the city centre. This might be better value all around than the council building directly on that land. The same number of units end up getting built but FTBs get to purchase closer in to the city centre in the new privately built units.

I agree that councils should not be sitting on land banks but directly building on them for council houses may not be the best use of that land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CLIO5555

H All I know this thread is from October last year but just want to check anyones in experience selling to Dubin City Council.

I have been made an offer which I have accepted. My apartment may have to pay further levies for roof issues in the other block (my block is fine), do council still buy these? I purchased through the affordable housing scheme back in 2008 so assuming council probably own apartments already in this development.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wedger

We were looking to sell to Limerick CC a while back - when surveyor came out he noticed issues with water ingress. They haven't come back to me yet I'm assuming that they aren't interested!!!

Should I contact them - It's been over a month now? Same question as above - do people have any record of Councils buying properties with the issues? I'm willing to drop price if needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

If they surveyed it to possibly purchase they must be interested or have someone in mind - I would follow up.

Advertisement