Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Thanks mickmackey1!

(I couldn't even come up with Chronic or Eyes, thanks for taking a look!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Something has been overwritten with something else, which makes it difficult. I don't know enough about eye conditions to suggest anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

Looking to find out the location if anyone could help. My great-grand parents were married in Castlemartyr church in the district of Midleton. I cant make out the second area. I'm guessing its an townland near there, I know my great-grandmother was from cork but no Idea where. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ballindinis

There's 3 places called that though: civil parish is the 6th column and they're all in Middleton PLU.

Ballindinis 110 Cork, E.R. Imokilly Mogeely Middleton Munster
    Ballindinis 37 Cork, E.R. Imokilly Ightermurragh Middleton Munster
    Ballindinis 2 Cork, E.R. Imokilly Killeagh Middleton Munster

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Three Ballindinis townlands according to seanruad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

spurious wrote: »
    Three Ballindinis townlands according to seanruad:

Thanks for the quick reply and info, that should help me a good bit now to hopefully find out some more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I'd love some help with entry #12 on this marriages file from Athy Parish register - marriage of John Curry (or Currey) and Bridget Brennan in May 1864.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633306#page/47

The ink is very faded, and I can barely make out a thing. Maybe a more practiced eye could discern some more detail. Lowering the brightness and inverting the colour seemed to give the clearest view for me.

It looks to be the same as the marriage recorded at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZ3-WV8 - though the dates are a few days apart.

He was a coachman. They lived in Higginsons Lane, Athy according to their daughter's birth record in 1872.
    They later moved to Galway, where he died (a widower) in 1900. Their granddaughter Maire Lally was married to renowned Galway athlete Thomas Hynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

that page is very bad... not seeing much for that entry so far...

there is a matching partial extract of the civil record on FamilySearch which adds a few details - see John Curry & Bridget Brennan married 3rd May 1864 at "St Michael, Kild, Ireland". A reference to page 350 is mentioned which matches this index record confirming Athy district as the location. The extract includes father's names as John Curry & James Brennan, but does not include residences for the bride & groom, occupations or names of witnesses - a civil cert would show these. The church record looks like it includes mother's name .. possibly first name only.

cleaned up the image a little... there's a lot of noise so not that much more showing up

432743.jpg

RootsIreland has a transcript which gives John's residence as 'Plewmans Row' and his father as John Curry and Bridget's residence as Rockfield and her father James Brennan. Witnesses are Patt. Gaffney and Eliza Flynn.

I would grateful for anyone's attempt to guess the birth month listed on the last line of this damaged document? The surname for Mary was also cutoff, so am doing a bit of creative searching for an infant birth and death not listed elsewhere. Thanks much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can you provide a link to the source of the image?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'd guess June.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks! :)

:o I am not entirely sure how to provide a link from an ancestry subscription.

Well even a description of the source would suffice.

Being able to see the full image is often a great help when trying to decipher hard-to-read script.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Looking for more eyes on the middle case please - there's a couple of words I can't make out.

Defendent .... not allow his ...... to wander (?) the 20th day of April 1863 on the public road at Mountrath

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Defendant did allow his one ass to wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Would appreciate help with this:

https://imgur.com/Rwc7Xd7

Trying to figure out the bride's father's first name and confirm the bride's address which I think is 8 Lurgan Street?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I see Lurgan St too and firstname of father is William.

I see Lurgan St too and firstname of father is William.

For what it's worth I'd second that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Sigh.... I had thought it was only doctors and parish priests who didn't care whether their records were legible or not. Did the registrars making records of births/marriages/deaths not realise that their scribbles would render some records useless where it wasn't possible to make out for sure what the names and addresses were? I've come across countless GRO images which have been transcribed incorrectly because the transcriber wasn't familiar with the name or address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

What's the story with 'Unknown' <Surname> birth certs? I notice these crop up quite a lot with children born in hospitals. Was it just the case a registrar would immediately record the birth without asking the family what the intended forename was? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 AreWeAlone

KildareFan wrote: »
    Sigh.... I had thought it was only doctors and parish priests who didn't care whether their records were legible or not. Did the registrars making records of births/marriages/deaths not realise that their scribbles would render some records useless where it wasn't possible to make out for sure what the names and addresses were? I've come across countless GRO images which have been transcribed incorrectly because the transcriber wasn't familiar with the name or address.
    Not directly related but... when you see the bride and groom's signature on a marriage cert, is that their actual signature or merely that of whoever transcribed the copy? Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken the certs we view for research purposes are transcripts of the original registers so the signatures are not the handwriting of the parties to the marriage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 AreWeAlone

Hermy wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken the certs we view for research purposes are transcripts of the original registers so the signatures are not the handwriting of the parties to the marriage.
    Thanks. I thought the same, it's just I've seen one or two where the handwriting looks different from the rest of the entry.

oceanclub wrote: »
    What's the story with 'Unknown' <Surname> birth certs? I notice these crop up quite a lot with children born in hospitals. Was it just the case a registrar would immediately record the birth without asking the family what the intended forename was? :)

Basically, yes. Very common problem in the Rotunda in particular.

Genealogy Forum Mod

often seem to have been registered in bulk by someone from the Hospital - sometimes see the same name as informant for a page of Hospital birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

KildareFan wrote: »
    Sigh.... I had thought it was only doctors and parish priests who didn't care whether their records were legible or not. Did the registrars

Originally the registrars were the doctors. Later assisted by lay assistant registrars.

A lay person only became registrar if the dispensary doctor did not want the job.
    In the first year, 1864, only one non-medical registrar was recorded in Thom's Directory for 1865. He was my great grandfather.

My g-g-grandfather - the doctor in Eyrecourt - was also a registrar.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

AreWeAlone wrote: »
    Not directly related but... when you see the bride and groom's signature on a marriage cert, is that their actual signature or merely that of whoever transcribed the copy? Thanks.

The GRO books were copies transcribed by the local registrar at the end of each quarter, then sent to Dublin.
    It would not be possible to have the couple's signatures or those of the witnesses, on these copies. I doubt if their signatures were on the original local book either, as the priest / clergyman was responsible for registering the event, his signature would be the only real signature, and that only on the local copy.

The registrar's signature is usually genuine, you can compare signatures on the GRO certs with their signatures on the census forms. This is easy in small towns, but still possible in the city.

However it sometimes happens that the original registration was by the registrar, and the copy by the assistant registrar, or indeed by the deputy registrar, so then the signature would be non authentic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Could some one cast their eye over this death record for the cause of death? Any ideas?

Advertisement