Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

After a long evening of digging through other parish registers, and finding a marriage and another child for this couple, I can confirm the surname is definitely Leonard.

Due to it being incorrectly transcribed as "Lyon" for many years in some online records, I have had an incorrect name (and line) in my family tree for my GGreat grandmother. Confirming and connecting this dot has opened up a whole new line for me, so thanks for the help!

I can easily see why past transcribers were confused, particularly when the sponsor is Lyons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not from the NLI collection but rather than start a new thread can anyone tell me what's the word before November?
    It's a 1909 baptism from Bangor Erris in Mayo.

V2wJHH7.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

looks like L.tt.l. to me - do you have any other entries for letter and context comparison ?

I'm thinking maybe a placename...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Hermy wrote: »
    Not from the NLI collection but rather than start a new thread can anyone tell me what's the word before November?
    It's a 1909 baptism from Bangor Erris in Mayo.

V2wJHH7.png

Looks like [font=arial, sans-serif]'settled[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]'[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] to me. I have came across it once or twice in my own parish. I think it was when the parents of the baby or the couple getting married didn[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]'t pay the fee to the priest straight away but payed it at a later date. In this case November 22nd 1909.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I guess Alan is right, at first I thought it was little, but could not explain the d. Therefore, settling the ten shilling bill seems to be the answer.

This raises another issue that has long angered me, ten bob was probably more than many labourers earned per week in Erris in 1909.
    Where my paternal line ancestors were having baptisms in the 1840s, pre famine, the standard "offering" seemed to be two shillings or 2/2. At the time 8d per day was the full rate paid to farm labourers, or four shillings for a full week's pay, if lucky enough to have a full week. Labourers were expected to pay at least half a week's pay for a baptism, a case of extortion, in my view.

• Advertisement

That's settled - thanks for the replies. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Hi All,

What are your thoughts on this piece from Clonrush in Co. Clare? It's a tough one, quite faded.

I'm looking for someone specific and think this might be related but wanted to see what you guys think first. Basically any names or words on the paper would be helpful.

ypliTZf.jpg?1

Large

Cheers

Here's Ancestry's copy of that image if it helps.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I can make out John & Honor Hogan and Ned Ryan on different lines.
    Above Honor looks like W Brien
    Below Honor the same word Brien and then further over ....Ryan B Cleary

Genealogy Forum Mod

About two thirds down on the left hand page I'm wondering if anyone can make out the date for the baptism of Ellen Duffy among the scribbles?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Perhaps May 10th ?

I think it's May 19th but that second digit could be a 4 or a 9 so I can't decide.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The one before it is the 13th, and I'm guessing the one after Ellen is possibly the 14th. It looks to me that Ellen's date is the 14th but I could be wrong.

Her husband's baptism which gives details of their marriage in New York says she was baptised May 19th 1887 (?) and other records give her date of birth as May 15th or 20th.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Looks like 19th to me

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I came across this Ryan/Quin marriage dated 30 December (3rd entry on left hand page). I am doubtful about the name of the townland. It looks like Ashgrove or similar but the only townland with an O'Brien (weaver) was in Ashfield (not even a real townland).

Any other idea? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Looks like Ashgrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Got the free 14 day sub to FindMyPast (saw that it has all the parish records transcribed) and was able to find my grandfather's birth in 1877 (both him and my father had children at a late age).

Here's what looks the entry;

yzWw9ws.png

Can anyone make out information not in the transcript? Is the line below godparents? (Looks like Thomas & Margaret Moloney?)

EDIT: Actually RootsIreland does list the godparents, while FindMyPast doesn't. Strange they omitted it, lack of time I guess.
    First name(s) Paul
    Last name Molony
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1877
    Baptism date 11 Apr 1877
    Residence Clare
    Parish Murroe, Boher and Abington
    Alternative parish names Abington, Boher, Murroe, Murroe and Boher
    Diocese Cashel and Emly
    County Limerick, Tipperary
    Country Ireland
    Father's first name(s) Paul
    Father's last name Molony
    Mother's first name(s) Joanna
    Mother's last name Wixted

Yes, Sponsors Thomas & Margaret Moloney.

Mod note: thread merged. Please post these requests into this thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Any guesses on the first name of the father of the groom here? Marriage #239. Groom is Jacobus [James] Healy and bride is Bridget Sullivan. It's been a total puzzlement on another forum I'm on. Thanks.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634297#page/22/mode/1up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Not sure, but the cert would solve it:

SR District/Reg Area - Caherciveen

Marriage of JAMES HEALY
    in 1877

SR District/Reg Area Caherciveen
    Returns Year 1877
    Returns Quarter 1
    Returns Volume No 10
    Returns Page No 26

Marriage of BRIDGET SULLIVAN
    in 1877

SR District/Reg Area Caherciveen
    Returns Year 1877
    Returns Quarter 1
    Returns Volume No 10
    Returns Page No 26

Do marriage certs of that time period have parents' names? It's a good idea if they do. Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They should have the father's names anyway.

VirginiaB: marriage certs always have fathers names, unless someone is illegitimate. Mothers names added in the 1960s.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Looks like Magistri to me, latin for Master. His father wasn't the school master by any chance?

It does look like Magistri but that seems odd. No idea about the schoolmaster possibility.

Pinkypinky, thank you for the info about parents' names on marriage certs. Wonder why mothers' names were so late to the party. Tho I looked at my own--church and state in NY--and parents' names on neither. NY state had them on marriage certs in the 19c and that has led to some major discoveries. Useful info for siblings who stayed in Ireland as it would bring you a generation further back via a sibling who emigrated.

I don't want to derail this thread too much but it's just a simple old fashioned patriarchy issue. Never occurred to them that putting mothers' names would be relevant. They took off fathers' occupation at the same time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

KildareFan wrote: »
    Looks like Magistri to me, latin for Master. His father wasn't the school master by any chance?

Or was he (even less common) a magistrate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hi there,

Would love help with this:
    http://i.imgur.com/bsvb4Wo.png

Date looks like 16 January 1868. For place of birth; is that word "Ballandra?" Google search throws up nothing Wexford related. (I assume other word is "Kilrush".)

For maiden name, is it "Crineen"?

For informant, "Margaret Bacon"?

Advertisement