Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord obligation to paint house?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I'm thinking of renting out a house [as a landlord]. What I'm wondering about is, what are the requirements [in simplistic terms] with regards the upkeep of the house? For example, if a tenant stays for 6 months the house obviously wouldn't need to be repainted or decorated, but what is the minimum that a tenant can rent for before the house needs to be redone? Is there a legal limit or length of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nothing legally required...and then it depends on the tenants and the turnover.

We painted before we let our house out - and have only repainted once since and that was 7 years ago. That was with long term tenants though and to be honest it didn't really even need painting between both sets of tenants but we did it anyway.

My current neighbours are renting, only there a few months and already the place is in need of a repaint, certainly the hall and sitting room anyway (was done at Christmas before they moved in).

In general I would say every 3 years for the bulk of the house but maybe more often for heavily used rooms/spaces like the hall and kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 f1shfingers

athtrasna wrote: »
    Nothing legally required...and then it depends on the tenants and the turnover.

We painted before we let our house out - and have only repainted once since and that was 7 years ago. That was with long term tenants though and to be honest it didn't really even need painting between both sets of tenants but we did it anyway.

My current neighbours are renting, only there a few months and already the place is in need of a repaint, certainly the hall and sitting room anyway (was done at Christmas before they moved in).

In general I would say every 3 years for the bulk of the house but maybe more often for heavily used rooms/spaces like the hall and kitchen.
    Thanks for that. Good to know. I suppose after each tenancy ends, its the responsibility of the landlord to restore the property to its original state? I mean, the deposit can be retained for painting [happened a nephew of mine, even though the invoice gave a total for painting for whole house] so how can 'above normal wear and tear' be defined??

Generally the deposit can't be retained for painting. There are exceptions in extreme cases of destructive behaviour by tenants but in general, marks on the paintwork are normal wear and tear. Don't forget painting expenses are tax deductible.

You should put a clause in the lease that your tenants can't repaint or alter the colour scheme without your consent. In that case if they did change a room from magnolia to bright pink you probably would be entitled to retain some money for restoration to the house's normal state if the tenant had failed to do so before moving out.

What would 'extreme' cases be? Considering my nephews current battle with getting his deposit back, I'm just wary of ending up in a similar battle, with the shoe on the other foot of course!!

I figured tenants would never dream of painting themselves, but you are right, it is best to put a clause in the lease, just in case.

Thanking you for your help.

Extreme I would consider things like kids drawing on the walls, walls damaged in such a way that parts would need to be re-plastered and therefore repainted, or if the tenants were smokers.

• Advertisement

Answers my question. Thanks. So many things to think of!! Dont know if I can do with the hassle! Could get landed with awkward tenants.

Being a landlord is very difficult. We had no choice but to rent our house and it's been a hell of a learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

If you want good tenants, be a good landlord. I rented a house for 4 years off the landlord, whenever we wanted to re paint, we told him, he said send the bill for paint and add a bit for your time and deducted it off the rent. Short term, paint on condition of the house. As a renter, I would not go into a house unless it was in good order, or given a deduction to paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

My current landlord didnt paint it fresh before we moved in-id say its been a few years since it was done, I doubt he will deduct it off the deposit though because it is just general wear and tear, most of it caused by previous tenants. not ourselves. We will find out next week but Id be suprised.

The place Im moving into looked fairly fresh, but the letting agent rang yesterday apologising that it wont be freshly painted by the time we move in becasue of builders holidays (doesnt even need it imo). But that they will do touch ups the week after once thats cool with us. It really depends on the landlord, but I dont think there would be too many issues with paint jobs and that kind of thing, once you stipulate everything in thr lease you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have to say I insist on being allowed to paint a house before I agree to a lease, only second house Im renting now but with young kids I would at least touch up paint in heavy use areas every 6 months, dirty hands and feet aginst walls etc... I also bear the cost of the decorating as it is my choice to do so.

Re-painting shouldnt be charged for in my opinion, I have heard friends who are landlords complain about having to repaint a house after 2 or 3 years yet they would repaint their own more often. I would say even after a year most rooms would need a touch up at least!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. It is very helpful. Yes I always agree about being a good landlord - I spent enough years renting myself from shoddy landlords & I know what it is like! One house I was in with 2 others and we scrubbed the place clean in the June. Technically our contract was until the end of August but we were all moving out at the end of June and had okayed this with the agent - more fool us!! Landlord didn't give us our deposit back, and foolish naive us didn't bother attempting to get it back, even though we had left the house possibly cleaner than the start! And left him a bottle of wine!!

So I'm very wary now about different implications of different situations. Everything has to be so PC. Everythingh as to be so paperwork driven. It's mad.

Advertisement