Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price difference between 2 similar houses

Options
  • 16-08-2019 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Were sale agreed recently but it eventually fell through, no fault of our own.
    Back looking on the market and 2 houses in the same estate, in the same row are up for sale. Both 3 bed semi d.
    Similar condition inside.
    Only 2 differences of note from what I can see from viewing both.
    House 1 has an additional utility room built on (kitchen/ dining room in both is L shaped but in house 1, the extension is built across to have a utility room).
    House 1 also has a larger side entrance to the house, can fit a car and there is a decent sized concrete shed out the back (maybe 4×5m).

House 1 is €20k higher asking price.
    Are the utility room and shed worth €20k extra?

Is it worth going the extra €20k now rather than worrying about extending in the future.

Both utility room and will be used and are a nice addition. But I just don't know how to value it myself.
    Any thoughts are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ignore the asking price and figure yourself what the houses are worth to you. The value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It sounds like the plot of house 1 is bigger, whether it's worth 20k will probably depend on the price of the houses, but larger side garden would add about 5-10% to the value of a house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

astrofool wrote: »
    It sounds like the plot of house 1 is bigger, whether it's worth 20k will probably depend on the price of the houses, but larger side garden would add about 5-10% to the value of a house.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What is the ballpark for both houses?

I would reckon 20K sounds justified for difference as outlined.

Would you use the concrete shed or would it just be sitting there full of rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

When we were buying our house, another house 4 doors up had just sold for 27k more than ours.. exact same size and layout, but had wider side entrance area so could've extended at the side with PP.. that's what estate agent told us (same one sold that house)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

What is the ballpark for both houses?

I would reckon 20K sounds justified for difference as outlined.

Would you use the concrete shed or would it just be sitting there full of rubbish?

250 and 270 are the asking.
    Mrs Ontheditch isn't bothered by the shed but I'll get great use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

250 and 270 are the asking.
    Mrs Ontheditch isn't bothered by the shed but I'll get great use out of it.

You might say she's on the ditch about it. Haw haw haw.

I'd definitely be going with that one then personally. Not just because you're going to use it but it seems to be a bigger plot, work on extension is already done, plus the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Utility room and being able to get a car around the back are good advantages. Every man needs a shed to escape to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Utility room and being able to get a car around the back are good advantages. Every man needs a shed to escape to.
    And it will be handy when taking in Spanish students! Is regular down in the Gaeltacht. The kids give up their rooms for the Summer and sleep in tents or huts out the back.

Advertisement