Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

• 09-11-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Time for a new thread for stage 4! I just got the email for the open day in Templemore where they'll walk through all the different tasks with us.

This thread is specifically for those of us from the 2018 recruitment campaign. Stage 4 involves the medical, physical competency test, vetting and meeting with the local super.

Feel free to share any advice on what your are doing to get in shape for it.

This is a link to the general stage 4 thread, there's plenty of information in there on the specifics of the various tasks.

This is the info on the medical and physical from the Garda information booklet:
    9. Physical Competence Test (PCT)

Applicants are expected to be aerobically fit in order to safely undergo training and to subsequently carry out the duties assigned to them. There is strictly no deviation from the format of the test. Failure to maintain the levels of fitness required during all phases of training will be a breach of their contract and constitute a termination of contract.
    Applicants will be required to undergo a Physical Competence Test. A demonstration video and detailed information regarding the Physical Competence Test are available on the Garda website https://www.garda.ie/en/Careers/Why-should-I-join-An-Garda-Siochana-/What-are-the-physical-requirements-.html.
    An Garda Sh has a derogation under Part 5 of the Disability Act 2005.

10. Medical Examination
    Subject to undergoing a comprehensive screening process by the Public Appointments Service to establish their general suitability and successfully completing the Physical Competence Test (PCT), applicants shall also be required to undergo a detailed medical examination by a Registered Medical Practitioner nominated by the Commissioner of An Garda Sh.
    Where candidates are aware of suffering from any current or pre-existing health condition(s), it would be NECESSARY to have available relevant clinical reports from your treating doctor(s) on the day. This shall expedite the medical assessment process and hence the progress of your application. Candidates shall be required to provide contact details for their doctors on the day to facilitate communications as necessary.
    General medical requirements are as follows:

 A good standard of general mental and physical health (full disclosure of medical history is necessary and shall be reviewed as part of the medical examination).
     Weight within normal (non-underweight and non-obese) limits (ideal BMI is 18.5 to less than 25). Underweight (BMI <18.5) and overweight (BMI >25 and <30) shall be considered with other measures to exclude significant weight abnormalities.
     Eyesight - good levels of vision (minimum distance vision of 6/18 on both eyes that can be corrected to 6/9 and 6/12 with glasses or contact lenses if necessary).
     Hearing - good level of hearing without a hearing aid.
    The following tests shall also be carried out on the day:
     Eyesight test – An unaided eyesight test will be carried out on the day (glasses/lenses to be removed one hour prior to testing)
     Hearing test – air conduction audiogram (unaided i.e. testing without hearing aid)
     Urine testing for routine clinical screen
     Manual peak flow reading
     Blood pressure and pulse check

No blood tests will be taken on the day.

Current, pre-existing and previous medical and mental health conditions may be a bar to meeting the required medical fitness standards but this shall be assessed on a case-by-case basis by the examining doctor; this may require provision of additional reports or clarifications from the applicant‟s treating doctors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Really hoping myself that the physical at least is done by December. Wouldn't mind being able to enjoy the Christmas season properly!

Anyone else going to this open day on the 24th? Will more than likely head down myself so I know what to do for the actual test, although the drive down (from Galway) is a pain! Hopefully there will be other information provided, very curious to see what the eyesight test is also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vital Work

Hey, I'm also heading to the open day on the 24th!
    I met with my local sergeant and Super this week and the Sergeant thinks we'll have the medical and physical done by Christmas.
    Hopefully we will and we can enjoy the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

I was told down in PAS that the fitness test would be after Christmas January time.
    I’m no where near ready so I honestly hope that it is. They could have one group in before Christmas but I honestly don’t see it.
    In regards to meeting your local sergeant I’m based in the north so I wonder what happens there with me not having a local station so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

Out of interest is the meeting with the local Sup a test? As in can you fail at that stage somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Out of interest is the meeting with the local Sup a test? As in can you fail at that stage somehow

It's not a test per se, it's part of the vetting process and they can recommend that you are not admitted to AGS, so yeah you can 'fail' or fall at this stage, too.

Edit: Last time I read up on it, which was so long ago now, there'd only been 10 generally unsuitable letters issued so you are probably grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mrfender

Hello. I was just wondering is anyone going down from Galway on the day? Looking to carpool or maybe even organize a mini van if there's a big enough group.

mrfender wrote: »
    Hello. I was just wondering is anyone going down from Galway on the day? Looking to carpool or maybe even organize a mini van if there's a big enough group.
    Will be driving myself but I'm out the country so probably no good to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stuky69

Hi lads, waiting on interview results.

Quick question, is this an open day for all or is it invite only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Stuky69 wrote: »

As far as I know, invite only. If/when you are successful at interview, you'll presumably get an email in a few weeks. It's been over a month for us, between results to now.

Stuky69 wrote: »

Looks like it's an invite only for the first, 2nd and possibly 3rd batch of those interviewed.
    For security reasons you will be required to sign in at the Guard Room in the Garda College on arrival. Photographic ID and your invitation to the Information Day must also be produced on the day.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else unsure about going? I'd love to get a go at it all, but I'm coming from Donegal. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

mrfender wrote: »

I'm interested! Heading from Galway and was going to hire a car because public transit takes 4 hours lol

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Yeah I wouldn't recommend if it's anyway of a trek ,it's a straight forward enough phase .look online for the run through it will save the effort

Just looking at the directions from Galway, it's actually only an extra 10 mins going via Limerick (M18/M7). There's a €2 toll but I think it might be worth it to avoid all the towns and country roads. Have always gone via Portumna (on the way to thurles) and its a brutal drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Yeah I wouldn't recommend if it's anyway of a trek ,it's a straight forward enough phase .look online for the run through it will save the effort

I also wouldn't recommend it if you have far to travel. 5 hours for me, price of a hotel, waste of time. There's a YouTube video on the exact test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    I also wouldn't recommend it if you have far to travel. 5 hours for me, price of a hotel, waste of time. There's a YouTube video on the exact test.

It's a waste of time, if people are thinking it gives them some advantage over other who don't go, it doesn't. They don't even record you went. The video explains the entire thing. Plus on the physical day it's conducted completely different.

I wouldn't mind having a go at the push and pull etc, but it's hard to justify a 9 hour round trip for that like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They won't let you try the push pull or obstacle course anyway bar 3/4 levels of the beep and demonstrating a few push ups etc.

I wouldn't mind having a go at the push and pull etc, but it's hard to justify a 9 hour round trip for that like!

No one in my open day got to try the push/pull. And that's the reason I went too. We got to WALK around the obstacle. So again the video will show you all that.

Strider wrote: »
    They won't let you try the push pull or obstacle course anyway bar 3/4 levels of the beep and demonstrating a few push ups etc.

That seals the deal for me so!

• Advertisement

Just reread the email and it does indeed say that a staff member will demonstrate the push and pull machine.

That's what I get for skimming the email in the first place! Grand saves me at least 50 yoyos in diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hannah73

Hi, i found out last week that I passed the interveiw but have not heard anything since. Should I have heard about this open day I wonder? How long between you guys passing stage 3 and hearing about stage 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Think they heard about 3 weeks before us, I only heard last week too and from what I gather some have had a call to meet their local super and some invited to the open day

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vital Work

Hannah73 wrote: »
    Hi, i found out last week that I passed the interveiw but have not heard anything since. Should I have heard about this open day I wonder? How long between you guys passing stage 3 and hearing about stage 4?

Hi, I heard about passing the interview over a month ago so I'd say the open day is just for everyone who passed that day!

You'll probably hear in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Hey all :) just have 2 questions as I know everyone on this thread will have passed interview! I have my interview in 2 weeks and I want to get cracking on preparing my examples for interview but haven’t received the competency’s yet from PAS! Would someone mind private messaging me them if possible?

Also, I don’t currently volunteer as I work full time and am in college in the evenings so would be very hard to fit it in at the moment. Will this go against me in the interview or can anyone on this thread confirm that they’ve passed interview stage without volunteering? Big congrats to everyone who has passed so far, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

User2206 wrote: »
    Hey all :) just have 2 questions as I know everyone on this thread will have passed interview! I have my interview in 2 weeks and I want to get cracking on preparing my examples for interview but haven’t received the competency’s yet from PAS! Would someone mind private messaging me them if possible?

Also, I don’t currently volunteer as I work full time and am in college in the evenings so would be very hard to fit it in at the moment. Will this go against me in the interview or can anyone on this thread confirm that they’ve passed interview stage without volunteering? Big congrats to everyone who has passed so far, thanks :)

It might not go against you, but it would be a plus to have volunteering, you know? I mean its common sense really, that it would be a benefit. I work & study and I can fit some time in for volunteering, you don't need to spend 10 hours a week you know, for example you could help out the local ISPCA, help out a few hours one day a week taking care of the animals, cleaning their cages, etc.

Or join a local order of malta, they usually meet one day a week for an hour or two for training/offering opportunities to do duties, and you don't have to do every duty.

bottar1 wrote: »
    It might not go against you, but it would be a plus to have volunteering, you know? I mean its common sense really, that it would be a benefit. I work & study and I can fit some time in for volunteering, you don't need to spend 10 hours a week you know, for example you could help out the local ISPCA, help out a few hours one day a week taking care of the animals, cleaning their cages, etc.

Or join a local order of malta, they usually meet one day a week for an hour or two for training/offering opportunities to do duties, and you don't have to do every duty.

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve enquired the civil service and have had no response as of yet!

I have done volunteering with the DSPCA in the past but not in the last 2 years or so.. I understand that it’s a bonus! I also play football for the local woman’s team. I’m just wondering is there anyone on this thread that has advanced through to the next stage without currently volunteering.

User2206 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!

I’ve enquired the civil service and have had no response as of yet!

I have done volunteering with the DSPCA in the past but not in the last 2 years or so.. I understand that it’s a bonus! I also play football for the local woman’s team. I’m just wondering is there anyone on this thread that has advanced through to the next stage without currently volunteering.

I know plenty that passed the interview with no volunteer work. Just make sure your examples are solid, you will be fine.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    I know plenty that passed the interview with no volunteer work. Just make sure your examples are solid, you will be fine.

Perfect, thanks a mill for the reply! :)

• Advertisement

Not too sure so if I'll bother with the open day so. Was primarily hoping we'd get a chance at the push-pull machine but if it's literally only a walk through there doesn't seem much point with the online videos. I'll probably decide on the day myself.

Advertisement