Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road Bike Advice needed.

Options
  • 03-07-2020 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice on a Road Bike

• Budget is €1300 (But if the right bike came up I could strech to 1400)
    • Roads & Cycle Tracks
    • Height 6'2 (my last bike was aLapierre audacio 400 was 58cm Frame)
    • I hope to build up to decent milage over the next few months and would like to take the bike up the mountains the odd time for a cycle.

I have been recommended these bikes and was wondering what you thought of them and which one I should choose to get the best bang for my buck.

Cannondale Synapse Alloy Tiagra Road Bike 2020

Cannondale CAAD13 (Can't remember which one!!)

Cube Attain SL Road Bike 2021

Giant Contend AR 2 Road Bike 2020

All these bikes are in around the 1300-1400 mark

I am leaning towards the Cube as the guy said that hey would be the 2021 version coming in with shimano 105 groupset and 50/34 11 speed.

Just wondering what your thoguhts are on this and if you have any other recommendations.

My corperate rate and Cycle2Work scheme only allows me to use Cyclesuperstore so stock is low at the minute but will wait for the right bike. But the sooner I can get it and on the road the better.

Any help is greatly appreciated

BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

• Roads & Cycle Tracks
    • I hope to build up to decent milage over the next few months and would like to take the bike up the mountains the odd time for a cycle.

I have been recommended these bikes and was wondering what you thought of them and which one I should choose to get the best bang for my buck.

I am leaning towards the Cube as the guy said that hey would be the 2021 version coming in with shimano 105 groupset and 50/34 11 speed.

Just wondering what your thoguhts are on this and if you have any other recommendations.

My corperate rate and Cycle2Work scheme only allows me to use Cyclesuperstore so stock is low at the minute but will wait for the right bike. But the sooner I can get it and on the road the better.

BobbyT28

Cubes are good bikes. I changed from tiagra up to a 105 bike and to me the difference is night and day. Tiagra felt like it had a gear missing between 6 and 7 where it was either too hard or too easy to cycle which affected my pace. The 105 has a better spread of gears and is more than enough for any cyclist as long as they are not competing. It's a very sturdy groupset too and is known as the workhorse of the big 3.

I'd go with the cube if the others are tiagra. I was going to get it myself but I sold my motorbike which bumped up my budget an extra G so I went carbon.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Cubes are good bikes. I changed from tiagra up to a 105 bike and to me the difference is night and day. Tiagra felt like it had a gear missing between 6 and 7 where it was either too hard or too easy to cycle which affected my pace. The 105 has a better spread of gears and is more than enough for any cyclist as long as they are not competing. It's a very sturdy groupset too and is known as the workhorse of the big 3.

I'd go with the cube if the others are tiagra. I was going to get it myself but I sold my motorbike which bumped up my budget an extra G so I went carbon.

And stay clear of cannodales. A guy in my gym bought one and he had issues with the bottom bracket. He brought it back and the shop said it's a common problem on the cannodales.

Just Google cannodale bb30 or cannodale bb issues. Also Google cannodale frame warranty issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The 105 has a better spread of gears and is more than enough for any cyclist as long as they are not competing. It's a very sturdy groupset too and is known as the workhorse of the big 3.

105 is perfectly capable of racing, I'd even say tiagra is, in fact theres no difference in performance between ultegra and 105

The spread of gears is not limited to a groupset I.e you could buy a 50 34 ultegra crank and ultegra 11 34 cassette same thing with 105 even tiagra would offer that just the jump between gears a bigger and shifting isnt as crisp

Hi,

• Roads & Cycle Tracks

BobbyT28

Are you sure you can only go to cyclesuperstore that limits your options?

Are you looking to race or do you want a more comfortable bike?
    If your looking to race look for something lighter with rim brakes where as something heavier with disc brakes would probably provide a more gentle ride.

And stay clear of cannodales. A guy in my gym bought one and he had issues with the bottom bracket. He brought it back and the shop said it's a common problem on the cannodales.

Just Google cannodale bb30 or cannodale bb issues. Also Google cannodale frame warranty issues.

Yeh same with boardman aswell maybe buy cannondale aluminium but that's it.

Engineer on youtube called hambini tests frames and has found cannondale bb shells to be consistently uneven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Tony04 wrote: »
    Are you sure you can only go to cyclesuperstore that limits your options?

Are you looking to race or do you want a more comfortable bike?
    If your looking to race look for something lighter with rim brakes where as something heavier with disc brakes would probably provide a more gentle ride.

Yeah it's the only plac we can go.

No tlooking to race. I will be using it for commute to work (10km), weekends rides and some zwift

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=139785

This is the one i'm looking atbut the 2021 version , I think it will be pretty much the same setup just different colours.

Shimano 105

I get it for 1,136 on corprate rate.

I'm heading down to store tomorrow morning at 10am and would like to put the order in as the wait is long so the quicker I get an order in the quicker i'll have it.

Is the one i'm looking at a decent fit for what I want and a decent price for what I'm getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

This is the one i'm looking atbut the 2021 version , I think it will be pretty much the same setup just different colours.

Shimano 105

I’d go with that if I were you!

I’ve owned a Synapse and they’re pretty heavy, although comfortable. I’ve currently got a Supersix which is very similar in geometry to the CAAD and it’s probably a bit too racy, although I do like it!

105 groupset with hydraulic discs, yeah you're looking at a decent price there.

• Advertisement

Shimano 105

Preorder it, it has really good spec for the price but is a bit on the heavy side but wont be a problem for you needs if you're not racing

Cheers guy's appreciate the feedback. I think I'll go for that.

Any suggestions on pedals in the supercyclestore.I haven't got a clue on which ones to pick. Something good but not huge money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cheers guy's appreciate the feedback. I think I'll go for that.

Any suggestions on pedals in the supercyclestore.I haven't got a clue on which ones to pick. Something good but not huge money.

These are perfect for you https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-pd-rs500-spd-sl-road-pedals/rp-prod189183

For pedals seeing as you are buying the bike from a shop get them to show you what they have and if possible try out a few to see what suits you. For commuting I'd assume you 'll have to walk from where ever you lock your bike and SPD shoes are a lot easier to walk in with a recessed cleat.

For pedals seeing as you are buying the bike from a shop get them to show you what they have and if possible try out a few to see what suits you. For commuting I'd assume you 'll have to walk from where ever you lock your bike and SPD shoes are a lot easier to walk in with a recessed cleat.

Exactly. I commute on my bike and do long rides on weekends. Spd double sided pedals are the way to go. One side has click in and the other side is a normal pedal. Peddles will cost about €50/60 and the shoes about the same. There are a lovely pair of Shimano velcro straps in black that I wear and are very comfortable. I can walk anywhere in them and leave them on all day if I wanted to.

Exactly. I commute on my bike and do long rides on weekends. Spd double sided pedals are the way to go. One side has click in and the other side is a normal pedal. Peddles will cost about €50/60 and the shoes about the same. There are a lovely pair of Shimano velcro straps in black that I wear and are very comfortable. I can walk anywhere in them and leave them on all day if I wanted to.

Would you have link to those?

That's the pair I have. I got mine in penny farthing for cheaper than that so I don't know why online is dearer.

When buying cycling shoes, I would buy from a shop and get fitted for them rather than get them online. Cycling shoes are not your normal size so it's tricky getting the right size.

I bought the peddles and shoes from penny farthing so they fitted the peddles for free of charge which was a nice gesture. Plus I was going to buy a size 10 (online before calling the shop) but the manager said they wouldn't go near me. I'd need an 11, he was bang on the money.

That's the pair I have. I got mine in penny farthing for cheaper than that so I don't know why online is dearer.

When buying cycling shoes, I would buy from a shop and get fitted for them rather than get them online. Cycling shoes are not your normal size so it's tricky getting the right size.

I bought the peddles and shoes from penny farthing so they fitted the peddles for free of charge which was a nice gesture. Plus I was going to buy a size 10 (online before calling the shop) but the manager said they wouldn't go near me. I'd need an 11, he was bang on the money.

Here

Peddles

• Advertisement

Attain sl might not be in until this Oct offering sensing 300 for €1,400 full carbon

Ignore the last message. I'm just gonna wait for this bike to come in. The manager said that they could have them in 1st week of August but just can't promise anything.

I actually had a test ride on the 2020 version in store. lovely Matte Black. Very nice to ride.

Advertisement