Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Twitter removing "master", "slave", and "blacklist" to be more inclusi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I'm very niggardly. I only spend money when necessary.

Edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think don't overthink it. If they want to do that then that's fine but the fact we're hearing about it means its just for show.

Yeah twitter is a massive platform for bigots but they use inclusive terms behind the scenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭MFPM

What part are you asking for evidence for?

There are more slaves now that ever before, and they are mostly owned by their own race.

Asians growing weed in farms in the UK are owned by Asian gangs. Eastern European prostitutes in the US are owned by Eastern European gangs. African slaves in the Congo are owned by Africans. Asians catching shrimp off Thailand are owned by Asians.

If you think this is hysteria, I can tell you it's not. The last few years have just been token efforts picking at low-hanging fruit just to look good, be it companies, or individuals on social media. There is almost no actual effort made to combat slavery even though it's the hot topic of the year. Most people seem to think it disappeared when the US ended it. I think it's terrible that people are being convinced of this.
    There are more slaves now that ever before, and they are mostly owned by their own race.

Have you evidence for this?
    Asians growing weed in farms in the UK are owned by Asian gangs. Eastern European prostitutes in the US are owned by Eastern European gangs. African slaves in the Congo are owned by Africans. Asians catching shrimp off Thailand are owned by Asians.

This is nonsense, this is criminal activity, slavery and the subjugation of primarily Black people was legally and systematically organised and overseen by legal institutions.

I'd like evidence that this is going to cost a few million. As opposed to an email asking people not to use the terms, which is what actually happens.

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/07/george-floyd-twitter-abandons-master-slave-and-blacklist.html

Replacing the terms could cost millions and take months, experts say.

Loads of sites say it will cost millions.

Hopefully my external preamps will still work..

But I'm sure no one would have an issue if it was just this..

It's more the encroaching totalitarianism that people find objectionable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/07/george-floyd-twitter-abandons-master-slave-and-blacklist.html

Cheers, was just curious, as in my experience, there's almost zero references in code to these terms, and it's just an architectural terminology change. It's a people problem rather than a code problem.

I still doubt that it will cost them much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

MFPM wrote: »
    Why is it 'stupid', you've used the term twice but haven't explained why?

It's stupid to change these terms as they are commonly used in I.T and most engineers will be accustomed to them, if they are forbidden (I dont know that they are forbidden from use in Twitter but just randomly guessing here) then that will be a big change for those engineers who have used them throughout all their careers and will cause them to be less productive as a result as they will need to come up with new terminology to describe whatever master/slave described in Twitter's infrastructure and what happens if someone is building code and forgets that the terms are banned, they will have to rebuild their code without the terms.

An analogy would be in a professional kitchen where a team of chefs is working, one of them was a stabbing victim and the term "knife" upsets them so the chefs can no longer say "knife", can you imagine the confusion this would cause. The term itself has been used forever in the kitchen and in this context the word "knife" isn't related to stabbing or violence apart from the tangential link.

Thats my take anyway, I should have said "In my opinion its stupid", maybe others feel differently.

Language evolves constantly as does culture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

KiKi III wrote: »
    Master and slave are racially loaded terms in the US, where Twitter is headquartered.

Nobody said that’s the only kind of slavery that’s ever existed or exists today.

It’s weird that an attempt to be more inclusive would bother you so much.

As for statues, we’ve got plenty of threads discussing that already.

It seems like you’re just opposed to any attempt to make POC feel more welcome/ included.

Master tapes. Remastered releases. People should stop loading a phrase and start looking at the context in which it is used. Doublegood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In a parallel universe back in about 2006 Twitter reflected on terms like master, slave and blacklist and deemed them inappropriate to today's world and were widely praised for being ahead of the curve. In ours they did so in 2020 so as not to garner bad PR. Cynicism is the only word I have here. I guess the MBR is next! Indifferent to the terms personally, except for their commonly understood meaning and I hope there is an appropriately descriptive replacement. I really do wonder whether we're heading for a Newspeak world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doesn't say much for their software engineering practices if such a simple change costs millions to implement.

I wonder does Boards use the same terminology....?

I would say so, most sites which run database replication would have a master-slave infrastructure to ensure the integrity of data.

MFPM wrote: »
    Have you evidence for this?

This is nonsense, this is criminal activity, slavery and the subjugation of primarily Black people was legally and systematically organised and overseen by legal institutions.

https://theconversation.com/fact-check-how-many-people-are-enslaved-in-the-world-today-107078

Estimates of over 40 million slaves today. If you think forced prostitution isn't real slavery because it's outside the law, I don't care much for your opinion on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FWIW, AWS replaced the terms master and slave with terms like "primary" and "replica" quite some time ago.

No-one got upset from what I recall.

Stark wrote: »
    FWIW, AWS replaced the terms master and slave with terms like "primary" and "replica" quite some time ago.

And the world didn’t crumble?

Do you think I'm upset?

Not a fan of this whole "Oh are you upset?" "Are you triggered?" trend these days if someone looks at a story like this and thinks it's stupid. I'm allowed to have opinions on what is going on in the world and it does not mean I'm upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Master and slave are pretty sh*t terms really.

It's hard to Google troubleshooting stuff.

Server and Client work better.

Did AWS not start with those terms rather than replace them? If you are starting your infrastructure from scratch with a new team then you can call anything anything really as people will adapt to those terms and you wont have a problem.

Do you think I'm upset?

Not a fan of this whole "Oh are you upset?" "Are you triggered?" trend these days if someone looks at a story like this and thinks it's stupid. I'm allowed to have opinions on what is going on in the world and it does not mean I'm upset.

Well, the way you phrased your OP including calling the guy who spearheaded the idea a “worthless cùnt” made it seem like you were indeed quite upset and more so than the situation really warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Not everything has that relationship. Primary and secondary or variations on them are better terms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cheers, was just curious, as in my experience, there's almost zero references in code to these terms, and it's just an architectural terminology change. It's a people problem rather than a code problem.

I still doubt that it will cost them much at all.

Lots of people would use it in their coding (particularly with master as a prefix or suffix). I don't personally, but it's definitely not uncommon.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Well, the way you phrased your OP including calling the guy who spearheaded the idea a “worthless cùnt” made it seem like you were indeed quite upset and more so than the situation really warranted.

No KiKi. I can think someone is a worthless cúnt without being upset.

There are always a few people who see something they think is on the right and then try to make the opening poster out to be big triggered baby. It's just ubiquitous all over the internet by people who think they're being clever.

Master and Slave should not be racially loaded terms. Modern slavery isn't racial. These sorts of changes fool people into thinking slavery is over and it was only ever black people who were enslaved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

The terms are also used in database infrastructure where the master is the "live" database that is being written to and read from and the slaves are copies of that database that are generally for backup/fail-over purposes or can be used as read only to display data to the user in some instances.

"Replicas"

Some of the newer techs, now that you have highlighted it, seem to have avoided "slave"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Twitter engineers replacing racially loaded tech terms like 'master,' 'slave'

No.. Not from their site's content or tweets.. From its codebase.

Since when does a programming language need to be more inclusive? Last year apparently. Some worthless cúnt who works there took issue with it and decided to save the world from racism and slavery.

But more importantly, how on Earth are "master" or "slave" racially loaded terms when there are more slaves now than ever before, and they're not all black, and the majority of slaves are owned by people of their own race? Why is America trying to force this idea on us that only black people have ever been slaves and only white people have ever been slave owners?

If they cared about black slavery, they should campaign for black people to stop selling black people to black people in Africa. But I guess it's easier to spend a few mill changing a programming language.

A lot of code bases from many large software houses are going through this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Amirani wrote: »
    Lots of people would use it in their coding (particularly with master as a prefix or suffix). I don't personally, but it's definitely not uncommon.

default branch in GitHub is 'master'.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Server and client aren't great, because they can add ambiguity. You get stuff like "database server server". They don't always have a server/client relationship either.

Primary and replica might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

While this change announced by Twitter has zero bearing on me whatsoever, it is indicitive of todays disingenuous apologist society.

Change is good, particularly meaningful or neccessary change. This however smells either like futureproof arse covering (incase someone gets offended) or an act of PC grandstanding.

Companies are breaking their necks under pressure in efforts to appear to become more "inclusive" due to the current environment. If they were being honest, their motivations for doing so is primarily to preserve their brand, to mitigate criticism and to keep the money coming in. While that is ok in essence, realistically they are profiteering from racism.

If they actually gave a fcuk about acting in efforts to opposing racism, they would have done it years ago...not now when they feel expected to do so while capitalising on a contentious topic. They could have introduced it internally with no need for a public announcement....but that doesnt give them the kudos.

Were programmers up in arms over the last number of decades while using this terminology and demanding change?

As other posters have said "how does it affect you" etc...thats the point. It doesnt, its a populist sham that will change fcuk all except pressuring other businessess to adopt similar practices.

It certaintly wont change the thousands of black African kids being used as modern day house slaves in the Middle East, thats for sure.

Again, change is great! But fickle change to maintain or increase your supporter base is bullsh1t. This act in itself doesnt bother me and Im sure there are better terms but the sentiment behind it however is transparent.

default branch in GitHub is 'master'.

Yep, that certainly came to mind. Would tend to use the master term far more than the slave one because of Git.

Won’t somebody think of He-man and crew!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Are you triggered?

You seem triggered.

People who use words like triggered generally aren't great at making valid points or contributing much to the debate.

Advertisement