Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's HAP pending here?

Options
  • 02-07-2020 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Landlord is asking for €850/month rent. HAP is calculated at €520/month. This in my view leaves €330 to make up the difference but its been calculated that its €590 for me to pay monthly! What am I missing here folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭WeeCuppaCha

Is this the payment/portion you are required to make to the council?

HAP to the best of my knowledge requires you to pay a percentage of total rent to the council and they pay the total to the landlord. However, HAP is also payable at a monthly cut off/maximum, location dependant. If you go above that, you are eligible to pay the rest directly to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is there a HAP limit for your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Dav010 wrote: »
    Is there a HAP limit for your area?

There's probably a cut off point but it still doesn't add up or make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭dennyk

spoke2cun wrote: »
    Landlord is asking for €850/month rent. HAP is calculated at €520/month. This in my view leaves €330 to make up the difference but its been calculated that its €590 for me to pay monthly! What am I missing here folks?

Calculated by whom, and who are you being asked to pay that amount to? Under HAP you must pay a weekly contribution amount to the local council (which will always be less than the amount HAP covers for your rent, of course).

In addition, if your monthly HAP payment doesn't cover your entire rent payment, you must pay the difference directly to the landlord. So in this case, you should only be paying your landlord €330 a month going forward, and HAP will cover the rest of the €850/month rent. If your rent is €850, your HAP payment from the council to your landlord is €520, and the landlord is asking you to pay more than €330 directly to them every month, they are either mistaken or they are trying to cheat you.

It is possible that the total of your council payment and your "top-up" payment to the landlord could come out to €590 per month.

It's also possible that the payment in question is an advance of your first month's rent (or the rent for the first month you are on HAP, if you're starting HAP on an existing tenancy), possibly prorated. HAP pays landlords in arrears, meaning that on the last Wednesday of each month they'll pay the landlord the rent for that month that is now ending shortly. However, most tenancy agreements in Ireland require payment in advance, e.g. you pay on the first of the month (or whatever your rent due date is) the rent for the next calendar month. As such, when you start on HAP, you as the tenant must pay any rent arrears that are caused by HAP paying in arrears on the last Wednesday instead of in advance on your tenancy agreement's due date. This arrears must only be paid once, however; after that you are effectively "caught up" with the rent and the council's HAP payment (plus your own top-up) paid at the end of each month will go towards the next month's rent instead. If your landlord is asking you to pay €560 to him for your initial month on HAP only, that might be correct; you'd have to double-check the numbers based on your own rent due date. If he is asking you to pay that amount every month, that doesn't seem correct, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

If the LA HAP allowance payable is €650 per month, is this the max the council will pay or will they pay over this amount. I have a house which I amrenting for the first time and I hope to get €850 per month

• Advertisement
Advertisement