Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,606 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »

Because it’s insensitive because of how those ad impressions work. They’d be accused of profiting off of misery because those sets would be pushed to everyone online talking about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I thought maybe it was because they were a brick toy manufacturer and business owners that got their businesses destroyed by rioters throwing bricks would be upset.

Or maybe certain adults can't handle to see an advert right now for Lego White House without melting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I thought maybe it was because they were a brick toy manufacturer and business owners that got their businesses destroyed by rioters throwing bricks would be upset.

Or maybe certain adults can't handle to see an advert right now for Lego White House without melting down.

Speaking of adults who can't hadnle things without a meltdown.

https://twitter.com/rywriggs/status/1272353892165132288

Fair play to the lady in question who just went and made another sign and then came back to this.

https://twitter.com/GirlFarts7/status/1273484640662294529

Both events witnessed by police who didn't feel the need to intervene.

Nope, none of those silly reasons. They advertised other brick sets.

Suppose you enjoy seeing Gun adverts after a school shooting and find it in high taste?

Or ice-cream adverts after your dad was shot by a ice-cream sales man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Interesting interview with Matt Taibbi(journalist) which sums up the very well what's been happening in the uprisings at the newsrooms in the US.

E.g. what happened to Lee Fang at the intercept.

Or ice-cream adverts after your dad was shot by a ice-cream sales man?

Yes. That could be easily construed as insensitive. You wouldn’t see Ben and Jerry’s run a full throated advertising blitz if there was a globally reported wrongful death involving ice cream.

2u2me wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Matt Taibbi(journalist) which sums up the very well what's been happening in the uprisings at the newsrooms in the US.

E.g. what happened to Lee Fang at the intercept.

THE LEFT!!! THE LEFT, I TELL YOU!!!

seattle-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

EaqvdDhXYAEBPil.jpg

EZn8x7QU4AINKVT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If anyone at all was saying this was coming it was Brett Weinstein(evolutionary biologist/brother of Eric) who personally experienced something similiar play out in a microcosm at Evergreen State. I was posting about this very incident long before the death of Floyd. Where does he think this is going?

He's not optimistic
    This is unstoppable at this point with this current configuration
    Absence of leadership is going to stop us doing what we should do
    We are headed for a collision course with history
    We are staring at many scenarios that end in civil war
    It's still possible to avert that outcome; but he doesn't know what force gets in their way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is amazing how successful these protests have been in such a short time. Many places show signs that they aren't stopping, even if the national news coverage has moved on.

https://twitter.com/alex_burness/status/1274007371208146950?s=20

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is amazing how successful these protests have been in such a short time. Many places show signs that they aren't stopping, even if the national news coverage has moved on.

That’s going to initiate a court battle. Needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some people want a revolution, obviously their lives are crap and they want to blame it on the world, The George Floyd Death was a great jumping off point for these individuals and they dont want to put the genie back in the bottle but Trump did sign an order to reform the police so that is a win for the real protesters who are protesting police brutality without all the ideological BS that is attached to certain activist groups trying to gain power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Does anybody know if qualified immunity exists outside the US, Google not very helpful.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if qualified immunity exists outside the US, Google not very helpful.

I do not believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ea0yoKXXQAEaphM?format=jpg&name=small

I'd be curious to know what the actual issues are with some of these movies. Starting to get a bit in your face with this whole thing.

Ea0yoKXXQAEaphM?format=jpg&name=small

I'd be curious to know what the actual issues are with some of these movies. Starting to get a bit in your face with this whole thing.
    Along with well-known offensive scenes in many if the films listed above, Sky has added a disclaimer to Aliens because it features white actress Jenette Goldstein wearing extensive makeup to play Hispanic character Vasquez.

Your use of the phrase, 'in your face' made me think how many people are bothered about this move to remove offense without maybe understanding what it was like for people of certain cultures or backgrounds to see the way they were represented for years.

I would like if we were able to have more of an understanding that things were of a particular time without necessarily having to remove them entirely but the indignation some (not necessarily you) are expressing at any consideration that something should be reconsidered is actually highlighting that it is important that they are because it confirms that some people still just don't get it.

Incident from June 6, a former Sheriff Sgt. Was working as a security guard, and has been charged with the murder of a man he pepper-sprayed without any apparent provocation. So the man, understandably responded:

“ Surveillance footage obtained by The Washington Post shows Straight, who is white, fire a thick stream of pepper spray at Carson, who is black, from inside his pickup truck. Carson then throws his coffee at Straight and charges at him. Seconds later, Straight pulls a gun and shoots Carson in the head. The father of three, recently working to get back on his feet after time in prison and struggles with mental health, was pronounced dead at the scene.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/19/tulsa-security-guard-shooting/

Not a LEO anymore and charges followed so this didn’t go as viral. Security guard picked a fight and got his ass beat.

“ Straight told detectives he was using the pepper spray to “deter” Carson from being aggressive so he could detain him for trespassing. But in the arrest affidavit, authorities said Straight’s behavior appeared unprovoked.
    AD

“You don’t get to pick a fight and then claim self-defense,” Lt. Brandon Watkins, who leads the Tulsa Police Department’s homicide unit, said in an interview with The Post.

To Carson’s family, including a brother who is in law enforcement, the shooting was the inevitable result of a system in Oklahoma that empowered Straight to use lethal force as an armed security guard despite allegations of misconduct stretching back to his years as a detention sergeant with the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office.”

I'm waiting with baited breath to know how any 'Alien' movie can be considered problematic.

The reason given for 'Aliens' is barrel scrapping at it's worst when there is nothing in the barrel!

I'm waiting with baited breath to know how any 'Alien' movie can be considered problematic.

check my last post

check my last post

I added it to my reply. Ludicrous as I suspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The reason given for 'Aliens' is barrel scrapping at it's worst when there is nothing in the barrel!

Predator will be next, dreadlocks are cultural appropriation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Your use of the phrase, 'in your face' made me think how many people are bothered about this move to remove offense without maybe understanding what it was like for people of certain cultures or backgrounds to see the way they were represented for years.
    is there a problem in the way Vasquez was represented, is there a history of 'hispanicface' that i'm not aware of?
    some people still just don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KoKWf6pLs8

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Kermit you are Off Topic posting. Those posts belong in the gone with the wind thread. Stop OT posting please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Foxtrol wrote: »

Posts like this, that has a lot to do with righting the wrongs with regards police brutality and the lack of support from the law and order crowd is telling. They don't actually want law and order for both sides, it's a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Boogaloo Boys (a far right group agitating for civil war) have been killing cops during these protests, which we all knew already. What I at least didn't know was that these Boogaloo Boys include army sargeants.

maxresdefault.jpg
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-53076159
    A US Air Force sergeant with links to the far-right Boogaloo Bois movement has been charged with the murder of a federal security officer in California, the FBI says.

Steven Carrillo is accused of killing David Patrick Underwood outside the courthouse in Oakland during Black Lives Matter protests last month.

He was already charged with the murder of another officer eight days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

This is disgusting.

"NASCAR has launched an investigation after a noose was found in a garage stall at Talladega belonging to Bubba Wallace, the only African-American driver competing in its top Cup series.

"Late this afternoon, NASCAR was made aware that a noose was found in the garage stall of the 43 team," NASCAR said in a statement last night.

"We are angry and outraged, and cannot state strongly enough how seriously we take this heinous act."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2020/0622/1148844-noose-found-in-black-nascar-driver-wallaces-garage/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Everything is going to be fine. The multi millionaires of the Premiership have gone down on one knee. Now they can go back to using women as pieces of meat and abusing any young gay player they find

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Edgware wrote: »
    Everything is going to be fine. The multi millionaires of the Premiership have gone down on one knee. Now they can go back to using women as pieces of meat and abusing any young gay player they find

I would have said actions like soccer players taking a knee are a worthless PR exercise but then I see how outraged a certain group get about it and it becomes clear what they are doing is beneficial. They need to see how the majority of their community despise their mindset, including the soccer players they follow every week.

This is how you do it:
    Block cars at intersection
    Approach with guns
    If someone gets scared and takes off - open fire!

https://twitter.com/BubetteS/status/1275112090869497857

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Edgware wrote: »

They are all full of s##t...

They'll all be appearing in the World Cup in Qatar in about 18 months time, where the stadiums they'll be playing in were built on slave labour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement