Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Allow me to explain why the 'All Live Matter' hashtag is awful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would love to know was there more to how it all went down.

He was placed inside the police car but then removed. Only times I've seen that is if they are lashing out or have kicked or spat for example.

Obviously none of us were there but definitely kneeling on him as such for so long was beyond ridiculous.

So many lives have been destroyed by this and I hope it's a lesson to the dirty cops or others to just comply and file a complaint later if you feel there was issues.... Yes all well and good and no use of dead but I would like to hope if one isn't kicking off or resisting that they would be ok.

I'm concerned that now wasnt the best time and using a convicted criminal as the poster man for the cause taints it a lot.

What about his victims and have their lives ever been the same.

Seen a clip online from about 2 months back in the US where a young teenager girl is set on by numerous black males, they kicked her to the ground then bounced on her like a trampoline and took her Nike runners and walked off leaving her unconscious....

Now that's sick and that definitely should have been brought up and many many other crimes and murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Here is an Irish lad in limerick getting battered for not supporting black lives matter.

https://www.facebook.com/518620081515968/posts/3466382670073013/?vh=e&d=n

Horrible stuff.

Where in Limerick was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I’m simply stating a fact, you on the other hand are acting like all of these ****ing snowflakes I see on blm protest pages - jumping up and down in your own indignation shouting everyone down who doesn’t bow to BLM as a racist and bigot. This might get me banned from the thread but sincerely from me to you and all of your ilk - go **** yourself.

Who is doing the shouting now!!

It is strange to see people up in arms about been shouted down or made support something.
    No one has told me who to support, I don't see where this nonsense is coming from.
    You're entitled to your opinion, as are others.

joe40 wrote: »

It is strange to see people up in arms about been shouted down or made support something.
    No one has told me who to support, I don't see where this nonsense is coming from.

I see his frustration. Simply not following or supporting a movement such as metoo or BLM is enough to be called a mysogynist or a racist. It's silly and it's inaccurate.

Bowie wrote: »
    Just to note: I see a lot of the same folk doing their civic duty 'concerned' we might be getting too sympathetic on the wrong side of this race issue are the same folk helped us out before we got too overly sympathetic for the #metoo movement. Your insecurity racism and bigotry, passed as reasoned debate, disgusts me TBH. Let groups who feel nobody is listening have five minutes ffs.

Always have to laugh at "your bigotry disgusts me"

Bigotry - intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

You reap what you sow. I’m sick of it - go look at the FB BLM protest page for Limerick and 2 guys we’ll call Shane K and David C. Anyone who dared question the protest in terms of safety is being branded a “spastic” or “racist” by these 2 ****ing patethic snowflakes - they’ve even threatened to contact people’s employers because they aren’t sucking the dick of BLM and bowing to the line.

These people and everyone like them can **** off and die, and I sincerely mean that. A bunch of virtue signalling ****heads given a soapbox because “black lives matter” and people don’t agree with it at the current time. They can hide behind Facebook all they like but the internet is never anonymous, and doing that with easily identifiable faces on a publicly viewable forum is a very bad idea - those internet mouths are going to meet real fists at some point, especially throwing around comments like that.

If you follow the message of Blm and want your kudos from the others in the pool then go right ahead, but you can all go and **** if you think you are going to shout down people who don’t agree with the protests or message as racists or bigots. Nothing but a pack of internet hardmen with big mouths and **** all else.

I see his frustration. Simply not following or supporting a movement such as metoo or BLM is enough to be called a mysogynist or a racist. It's silly and it's inaccurate.

And if I give even a little support to those things I'm a lefty, snowflake, sjw type, whatever.
    The name-calling comes from all sides.

There are without doubt dicks jumping on the bandwagon, looking for attention, but they don't represent everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

And if I give even a little support to those things I'm a lefty, snowflake, sjw type, whatever.

There are without doubt dicks jumping on the bandwagon, looking for attention, but they don't represent everyone.

Did you read Kilboor's excellent post a few pages back? I presume you do not use any product that has exploited any person in any deprived, enslaved situation globally. I presume you have marched on behalf of every person in hell from Yeminis to Yazidis and if not I will presume this swell of protest is a fashion statement, a populist social media fueled imaginary uprising, the result of the deep emotionalism fused with shallow intellectualism that is the bane of modern times.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Did you read Kilboor's excellent post a few pages back? I presume you do not use any product that has exploited any person in any deprived, enslaved situation globally. I presume you have marched on behalf of every person in hell from Yeminis to Yazidis and if not I will presume this swell of protest is a fashion statement, a populist social media fueled imaginary uprising, the result of the deep emotionalism fused with shallow intellectualism that is the bane of modern times.

Okay I see, I can't have an opinion then so since I live and work and rear a family, because how could I possibly do all the the things you expect.

Your post is just nonsense. Unless one lives an unattainable ideal they're hypocrites.

I tried to be reasonable and find a middle ground and this this the kind of sh*the I get. Pseudointellectual babble.

Okay I see, I can't have an opinion then so since I live and work and rear a family, because how could I possibly do all the the things you expect.

Your post is just nonsense. Unless one lives an unattainable ideal they're hypocrites.

I tried to be reasonable and find a middle ground and this this the kind of sh*the I get. Pseudointellectual babble.

The point is simple. One man's fate has been elevated in the media - cynically, in my opinion- to create dreadful chaos and race baiting, frankly. And instead of reading around the issues, for example Outlaw Pete quoted a WSJ article that examines research on the matter, people have flocked in a highly emotional manner to a supposed cause celebre. Here in Ireland thousands of miles away some people have taken to the streets during pandemic restrictions when so many other injustices more locally could have motivated them at other times. It feels like a fashionable cause - it is a pity the randomly chosen but now lionised victim was a person who violently victimised others. It all seems frenzied and unexamined. And closer to the matter mobs have destroyed and looted black owned businesses, and other lives have been lost in the chaos. I don't see anything worth stirring up all this sh1t for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The point is simple. One man's fate has been elevated in the media - cynically, in my opinion- to create dreadful chaos and race baiting, frankly. And instead of reading around the issues, for example Outlaw Pete quoted a WSJ article that examines research on the matter, people have flocked in a highly emotional manner to a supposed cause celebre. Here in Ireland thousands of miles away some people have taken to the streets during pandemic restrictions when so many other injustices more locally could have motivated them at other times. It feels like a fashionable cause - it is a pity the randomly chosen but now lionised victim was a person who violently victimised others. It all seems frenzied and unexamined. And closer to the matter mobs have destroyed and looted black owned businesses, and other lives have been lost in the chaos. I don't see anything worth stirring up all this sh1t for.

Jim lives in a poor area with few shops and job opportunities. Jim burnt down some buildings and looted those few shops.
    In a few months time when all of this is forgotten the area Jim lives in will be poorer, have less shops and fewer job opportunities.
    Jim screwed himself over

This is not about one person. It never was. That one person was simply a tipping point because it was filmed.
    Whether you agree with the protest or not is up to you but it is simply factually incorrect to say it is about one person, and you know that.

I'm not getting into a discussion with you about Floyd, or the BLM movement, you have your opinion and I'm not going to change that, and likewise you won't change mine.

I will admit the situation is complex without easy solutions, and does go beyond race, but it is much bigger than the death of one man.

He is not simply a "cause celebre" although the manner of his death at the hands of people paid to protect and serve was appalling.

Jim lives in a poor area with few shops and job opportunities. Jim burnt down some buildings and looted those few shops.
    In a few months time when all of this is forgotten the area Jim lives in will be poorer, have less shops and fewer job opportunities.
    Jim screwed himself over

Same thing happened in Dublin 1916 and we made quite a fuss about it a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Same thing happened in Dublin 1916 and we made quite a fuss about it a few years ago.

"Same thing "

So much of a stretch the band snapped, flew back and hit him in the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It society in America didn't change after 1861 it's not going to change now .

No matter how Many people #forwhateveisthelastesheveryonemustfollow #orelse

"Same thing "

So much of a stretch the band snapped, flew back and hit him in the eye

No, I'm old enough to remember Derry burning. Things much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

BLM has evolved in a hate group. Whites supporting BLM is as ridiculous of Black supporting the KKK.

I'm not getting into a discussion with you about Floyd, or the BLM movement, you have your opinion and I'm not going to change that, and likewise you won't change mine.

I see where you went wrong...

You must have accidentally logged into a DISCUSSION forum on a specific thread DISCUSSING the very topic you don't want to get into a discussion about.

Easy mistake

This is not about one person. It never was. That one person was simply a tipping point because it was filmed.
    Whether you agree with the protest or not is up to you but it is simply factually incorrect to say it is about one person, and you know that.

I will admit the situation is complex without easy solutions, and does go beyond race, but it is much bigger than the death of one man.

He is not simply a "cause celebre" although the manner of his death at the hands of people paid to protect and serve was appalling.

His manner of death was appalling. As are the manners of deaths of many. Horrific. I hope justice is served.
    The situation is complex as you say - the rioting and looting is not useful as a response. It harms the local communities. The marches here are basically a fashion statement. Sentimentalism.

What do you say to the WSJ report that shows deaths like these are a function of activity rather than race? Function having a mathematical meaning in this case. The proportion of criminal activity brings people into more or less contact with the police. This is relevant.

Criminal activity has been proven to be a product of poverty and family and social situations. What do you think of BLMs stated objective to disrupt the nuclear family rather than encourage much more parental engagement? A community does not raise kids, this is communitarian bullsh1t. Strong families raise children. Or people who still engage with their children wholly even if the parents live apart. Not some amorphous village that is ideologically formed.

These are relevant matters to consider when one chooses to support a movement - to give thought to their stated objectives. One cannot simply take to the streets and start screeching without knowing exactly what one is actually supporting.

I have seen really good reports prior to Floyd from local black activists in Chicago basically saying what the fcuk lads, how long are we gonna sh1t on our own doorsteps and keep trying to blame someone else.

People can lose their livelihood if unfounded accusations of racist and rape apologist stick. You won't lose anything by being called a snowflake.

• Advertisement

I see where you went wrong...

You must have accidentally logged into a DISCUSSION forum on a specific thread DISCUSSING the very topic you don't want to get into a discussion about.

Easy mistake

No there is another thread about Floyd, this one did not mention him.
    And I'm not getting into a discussion because it's Friday night and I have other things to do.

And by the way why the sarcastic comment? I simply expressed an opinion and acknowledged others will have different opinions.

Because as I said, it is a discussion thread which is intrinsically linked to George Floyd and black lives matter and you said you didn't want to discuss either exceptionally important aspects of the discussion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

(some) Irish people: Everyone is forgetting about how Irish people were treated a hundred years ago

Also (some) Irish people: They need to get over that slavery stuff.

Jim Crow officially ended in 1968 but was still unofficially practiced for years after, especially in the south.
    https://www.history.com/topics/early-20th-century-us/jim-crow-laws

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember when my grandmother was ostricised in her new locality in Kerry after getting married because she didn't go to mass and was a pagan that was only back when she came out as Pagan in 60's until the 80's she lived that way.

Here in Ireland we can turn on each other if we're not supporting the status quo.

Ironically she was right about the church being greedy knuts and she always said they're hiding a lot of dark secrets, she also used to call Jimmy Saville a dirty article, look at the state of him she'd say, he looks like dirty nonse...

She was right but my mum couldn't see it, but yet someone born in 1912 could see the wood from the tree's.
    Her best friend was Dinjoe a flamboyant milk farmer, sounded like a Kerry version of Michael Tierney ie Micky the lady from Ennis a pure gent..

Go on YouTube and look up Michael Tierney Ennis, he livened up the town...he was a scream..

All this homophobia only came mainstream in the last 30 year's, flamboyant men were local heroes once upon a time thankfully homophobia died off quite quickly...the media who highlighted it to sell paper's are knuts..

Because back then people used to say hes a bit of a fancy fella, but a nice guy none the less...not much was said about it unless the local parish priest who was full of guilt and shame for being a predator or a closet gay chasing what went against the grain of the teachings of the church and his inward shame allowed him to shout hellfire and torture to homosexuals.. while being one himself...

It all stems from Catholic guilt and shame.
    Sex was dirty and only to procreate and not pleasure.

Now anyone who's not putting up post's about black boxes and screaming shame on you from their pillar's on social media are following the same bu//5h1t they've been doing for hundreds of years hypocrites the lot of them..

It's a small minority but I avoid those people who push BLM guilt in people's faces like the plague.

So the latest cross to bare is a black box or BLM symbols on themselves and worship a new God, so it's gone from The environment, to Covid 19 to BLM in a matter of months..

If a falce Alien attack happens and they capture the Alien they'll all be going around with a t-shirt saying shame on you for killing cthulhu....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought the #alllivesmatter came about because of the deaths as a result of the looting/protesting/riots. Which would make the OP look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

AllForIt wrote:
    I thought the #alllivesmatter came about because of the deaths as a result of the looting/protesting/riots. Which would make the OP look silly.

I honestly got the impression it was from people who wanted to undermine the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

iamstop wrote: »
    3a. If you've read all this and understand it and still use the 'alllivesmatter' hashtag then shame on you. You are a terrible human.

Problem with allot of this educating going on at the moment is its normally just an ego trip for those who are writing it so they don't feel like terrible human beings. Rather than end with a message of solidarity we go for division.

While its easy for us in Ireland to see how hashtags like this are being used to manipulate public opinion its not so clear in America where they seem to go from hardcore racist to bowing down for being white.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GSBellew

"All lives matter" and "White Lives matter" are not racist per se. It is self evident that both are true statements.

However, it just so happens that a lot of racists like throwing them out as a cudgel against the BLM statement.

The BLM advocates are looking for equality and parity with how white people are treated by police. They're not asking for anything to be removed from white people but the "All Live Matter"/"White Lives Matter" brigade behave like they are going to lose some rights themselves.

Disagree completely, you want equality it's all lives matter, pick one over the other and all you are doing is pushing an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't forget we have a woman here in Ireland that supposedly wrote a book called race, she was educated for free in ucd and now lectures there... Also illegal entry to Ireland if I recall.

Can't think of her name.

She is a very dangerous woman and has a huge issue with white people.

Am I suppose to be sorry for being white?
    Am I suppose to bow before a black person now?
    Do I have to kneel down now too?

Where is all this going and why should I be made feel bad for something I had no hand in on causing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,745 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

GSBellew wrote: »
    Disagree completely, you want equality it's all lives matter, pick one over the other and all you are doing is pushing an agenda.

You cant have equality if black lives dont matter

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement