Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

lcarrol3 wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate if you could keep us posted if this pulls through - we're drawing down with Ulster next week!

The purchasers of my apartment are with Ulster. I'll let you know if they have delays

lcarrol3 wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate if you could keep us posted if this pulls through - we're drawing down with Ulster next week!

Was told funds were released to purchasers solicitor today, so no delays

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Could you let us know when UB had all the documents required for drawdown? Thanks

Could you let us know when UB had all the documents required for drawdown? Thanks

I think the EA said that they submitted everything 2 weeks ago. Don’t know when they requested it though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

We went sale agreed August 1st. Contracts finally signed by both parties 2 weeks ago (don't even get me started about the faffing about between August 1st and now!). Once we had signed, our solicitor wrote to KBC to request they advance the funds. He hasn't heard anything back yet, so he's writing to them again to remind them.

We're in no rush to move, there's no pressure on us to leave where we currently are so it doesn't make a huge difference to us how long it takes. To be honest it would be fine by us if we didn't close until the new year, just so we could relax over the Christmas break. Having said that, I'd love to know how long it will take the bank to give us the go ahead! They were quick enough to give us the formal loan offer back in August, so this delay seems slightly unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lcarrol3

Amazing!! We got our finalised loan offer today and they've sent offer on the wrong house... So hopefully this won't set us back too far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Pink11 wrote: »
    Once you have funds released, solicitor confirms its closed etc - what happens then? When do you actually get the keys typically?

From what I understand it takes 2 weeks to get the funds after signing the contracts (no idea why) and then another week or two before you close, which is when you get the keys.

No one has explained to me these week/ two week delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Pink11 wrote: »
    Once you have funds released, solicitor confirms its closed etc - what happens then? When do you actually get the keys typically?

I closed last monday timeline as follows

10:00 pre inspection on house to make sure all OK
    I rang solicitor after and said to release funds onwards

Got the keys at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi all

I am delighted to say I have received the keys
    To my new home
    Delighted!

Thanks for all the help and advice on this forum
    I will try and pass on any advice to other posters as
    Best I can

I would like to wish everybody good luck on their
    Home journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

We requested funds about a week and half ago from Ulster Bank. Funds are being released today so hoping to close Monday as owners need the weekend to clear out the property. It will be a long weekend! But delighted to be at the finished line especially to work on the house over Christmas break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

jokettle wrote:
    We went sale agreed August 1st. Contracts finally signed by both parties 2 weeks ago (don't even get me started about the faffing about between August 1st and now!). Once we had signed, our solicitor wrote to KBC to request they advance the funds. He hasn't heard anything back yet, so he's writing to them again to remind them.

We signed contracts and loan offer back in September but had to wait for a grant of probate. That came through Wednesday 25/11, funds requested that day. KBC replied to our solicitor on Tuesday 1/12 to request some outstanding documents. I've spoken to their completions team twice who say all on track to release funds next week. Hopefully they'll get back to him soon.
    fisgon wrote:
    From what I understand it takes 2 weeks to get the funds after signing the contracts (no idea why) and then another week or two before you close, which is when you get the keys.

It might be that it takes 2 weeks to get the funds once they are requested, rather than 2 weeks after signing contracts. There can be all manner of delays between signing the contracts and being ready to close so I dont think there would be a standard time on that necessarily.
    fisgon wrote:
    No one has explained to me these week/ two week delays.

The two weeks between request of funds and actually getting them seems to be the time taken to review all documents, request outstanding documents and wait for their return and review. In our case just one thing is outstanding. Theres definitely no need to wait another week or two for the keys once funds are issued, closing can take place that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Quick one for someone who might be in the know. We are awaiting loan offer with a view to signing contracts before Christmas. We're also due to be married on Dec 23rd (Though I've said that twice before this year and Covid has proven me wrong).

My question is, are we better to wait and sign the contracts after we're married on Dec 23rd/24th, or does it make any difference? The mortgage will be in both our names.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is the wrong thread, I've just interacted with many here and it has proven a very useful thread in a number of areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Our sellers have decided they want to now close the first week in January(we were aiming for the 10th December). I'm actually relieved now, it's been too stressful planning to move 2 weeks before Xmas with 2 kids and a dog.

Gonna put up the decorations and have some wine tonight and enjoy our last Xmas in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

mimimcmc wrote: »
    We're sale agreed since the 4th of August, been so much delaying (on the sellers side) even though the sellers wanted a quick sale as we're in a chain...
    Waiting now for them to get builders in to fix an issue that arose in the engineers report.
    It's been 3 weeks now since we heard anything from the estate agent.
    But we're willing to hold out because it ticks all our boxes.

As i said ^ ours does too, so we'll hold tight and hope for the best :)

Update on this:

Absolutely gutted, the sellers have pulled the sale.

The issue in the engineers report was an unstructrually sound extension (probably built it themselves :rolleyes: )
    Initially they said they wouldn't be fixing it, but they got a quote for the job and it would be 5k to fix but only give us 3k off the price of the house. We said no. They then said they would fix it.
    It took 7 weeks to get a builder in, they didn't get the job done to the standard of our engineer and he wouldn't sign off on it - that happened on Tuesday.
    We asked for pics of the finished job, EA said it might be best to organise another viewing, a few hours later got a call from EA to say they won't sell to us anymore, they are pissed off with the way things have gone. Even though they were ones who wanted a quick sale but kept delaying and pissing us off :mad:

Absolutely gutted to have wasted 5 months on this and the money! :(
    But mostly gutted that we won't be getting that house, it really ticked all our boxes :'(

But mostly gutted that we won't be getting that house, it really ticked all our boxes :'(

So sorry to hear that, it truly is heartbreaking when it happens.

Although it doesn't feel like it right now, you will find something better that will cause you less hassle. It sounds like you dodged a huge bullet with those sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Update on this:

The issue in the engineers report was an unstructrually sound extension (probably built it themselves :rolleyes: )
    Initially they said they wouldn't be fixing it, but they got a quote for the job and it would be 5k to fix but only give us 3k off the price of the house. We said no. They then said they would fix it.
    It took 7 weeks to get a builder in, they didn't get the job done to the standard of our engineer and he wouldn't sign off on it - that happened on Tuesday.
    We asked for pics of the finished job, EA said it might be best to organise another viewing, a few hours later got a call from EA to say they won't sell to us anymore, they are pissed off with the way things have gone. Even though they were ones who wanted a quick sale but kept delaying and pissing us off :mad:

A bit late now but if the house really ticked all your boxes did you consider
    Getting your own estimate to have the remedial work done to a high standard
    Come to an agreement on price considering the work that needed to be done ,even a 50-50 split
    Buy the house and then have the work done
    Shame to miss out on an ideal house for the sake of a few thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Update on this:

Sorry, but I can see the sellers side on this. You probably should have asked your engineer for an estimate of the cost to rectify the problems, asked for that off the price, and if agreed to, bought it and had someone fix the problem to the Engineers spec.

brisan wrote: »
    A bit late now but if the house really ticked all your boxes did you consider
    Getting your own estimate to have the remedial work done to a high standard
    Come to an agreement on price considering the work that needed to be done ,even a 50-50 split
    Buy the house and then have the work done
    Shame to miss out on an ideal house for the sake of a few thousand

Yes, we of course considered this.
    They won't budge on the price or paying 50/50.
    We weren't even given the option to say we'll fix the rest of it.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can see the sellers side on this. You probably should have asked your engineer for an estimate of the cost to rectify the problems, asked for that off the price, and if agreed to, bought it and had someone fix the problem to the Engineers spec.

As I said in the post above

Seems like the most sensible solution

Yes, we of course considered this.
    They won't budge on the price or paying 50/50.
    We weren't even given the option to say we'll fix the rest of it.

They knocked 3k off the price you said
    How much would it have taken to get the job done properly
    Were you at max budget ?

• Advertisement

Maybe i wasn't clear enough on this.
    When the issue came up, we did ask engineer for an estimate, he didn't want to give an estimate but said it could cost 5k, 10k or more, that we'd have to get a builder in. The sellers in the mean time got a builder to quote, said it was 5k but would only give us 3k off the house. Then changed their minds and said they would fix it but as I said it wasn't to our engineers spec.
    We were then gonna look at other avenues but weren't given the opportunity to

As I said in the post above

Seems like the most sensible solution

Yes, but I replied from the previous page without seeing yours.

must correct myself on what i said earlier, we actually hadn't turned down the 3k off offer (we were planning to though) when they changed their minds and said they would fix it

When the issue came up, we did ask engineer for an estimate, he didn't want to give an estimate but said it could cost 5k, 10k or more, that we'd have to get a builder in. The sellers in the mean time got a builder to quote, said it was 5k but would only give us 3k off the house. Then changed their minds and said they would fix it but as I said it wasn't to our engineers spec.

Would the vendors have allowed you to get your own builder in to price it
    Even knocking 3k off the price .if the house ticked all the boxes would an extra 7-10k been all that bad
    Not saying you were right or wrong but maybe if the same issue arises on your next house you will be open to more flexible ways around the problem
    The vendors have spent 5k that they had not planned to in order to sell the house and yet it did not sell
    For peace of mind you are always better off getting the work done yourself
    The vendor had no real value in getting the job done properly,
    in his eyes he done as little as possible to get the house sold

Would the vendors have allowed you to get your own builder in to price it
    Even knocking 3k off the price .if the house ticked all the boxes would an extra 7-10k been all that bad

They didn't give us the option to get our own builder in to price it. I had planned on this and spoke to a builder about it but they were going ahead and doing the works.

No you're probably right, it wouldn't but we're not even sure if the bank would give us the mortgage for the house the way it is?
    Do you have send your engineers report to the bank? Does it have to be signed off?

You were clear enough originally. The sellers wanted a quick sale. The fastest route was for you to take the property as is and then fix the problem. That would have satisfied the sellers interest.

Whn I bough my current house, the engineer wasn't happy about some cracks in the walls. The seller really wanted a quick sale and I wanted to keep the seller on side. Since every house I have ever lived in has had defects, I told the engineer to write a caveat mentioning the cracks and doubts and absolving himself from any comeback from me if they caused issues later. Job done. Seller got his quick sale, I got the house I wanted and as I expeted, 18 years later, the cracks are still there, haven't budged and haven't been an issue apart from the trivial issue of seeping epoxy resin into them and sealing them shortly after I took posession.

You were clear enough originally. The sellers wanted a quick sale. The fastest route was for you to take the property as is and then fix the problem. That would have satisfied the sellers interest.

Yes but when the 3k off was offered, we didn't get a chance to accept or not accept it and they went ahead with fixing it and we asked would it be to the standard or what our engineer required and the EA said "ah ya i think so"

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

For what it's worth mimimcmc, sounds like a bit of an odd situation and you might be better off out of it.
    Bought my first house recently and while we were lucky, there were still thousands of points they could have pulled the sale even if you'd all agreed to the work being done. Even more of your time could have been wasted.
    The housing market isn't slowing down too much as far as I can see- maybe they just decided to pull this sale, get the house sorted (or decide to sell exactly as is) and take advantage of the fact that houses are still selling like hotcakes.
    It's really awful for you. The way they went about it sounds crappy and a bit shady to be honest.
    Fingers crossed you might see something else you like soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

The process of buying a home is so ridiculous in Ireland, I see people try and justify it but it is bonkers.
    Banks are relatively easy and quick to respond/action, even same with most estate agents and the insurances were easy but the solicitors are just slow and I don't accept the "busy" argument if you are too busy you took on too much work - they need to embrace technology to speed things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

dev_ire wrote: »
    The process of buying a home is so ridiculous in Ireland, I see people try and justify it but it is bonkers.
    Banks are relatively easy and quick to respond/action, even same with most estate agents and the insurances were easy but the solicitors are just slow and I don't except the "busy" argument if you are too busy you took on too much work - they need to embrace technology to speed things up.

Technology - bingo.

The land registry is a good example - Apparently, their office is still mostly paper. So when a sellers solicitor requests mandatory docs, they are physical pieces of paper in a warehouse somewhere in Dublin. Absolutely ridiculous. Current turn-around times are approx. 4-6 weeks, pair that with slow solicitor sitting on their thumb, and requesting it *months* after sale agreed, we find ourselves still without a house and no closer to contracts, despite going sale agreed on August 5th.
    We are stressed and mentally exhausted from the process. Physically run down too! :o We've had to get the property revalued by the bank, and also our mortgage loan offer expired, which we also had to get extended. We've accepted the fact we won't be in before Christmas, but we'd be able to enjoy Christmas ALOT better, if we at least had a date in place.

Advertisement