Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resident Evil Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

thanks lads, will give 1 a bash first so. I remember playing Resi2 back in the day, and really enjoyed the remake last year. Honestly not sure if I ever played 1, will see if rings any bells when I load it up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Id recommend the original over the remake. Remake definitely easier to play but it lacks the magic that made Resi 1 so special.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

I hope they announce an Outbreak remake next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Evade wrote: »
    I hope they announce an Outbreak remake next.

I'd prefer a Code: Veronica X one to be honest. Outbreak was just irritating to play IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'd prefer a Code: Veronica X one to be honest. Outbreak was just irritating to play IMO.
    Probably because no one played it online. I think it could be good with a few friends.

Wouldn't mind CV either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I would LOVE a remake of Outbreak 1 & 2 (and maybe all the content that got scrapped because they had such a short development cycle for 2)

Wasnt mad about CV but I'd still play a remake of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well nobody could play it online in Ireland. They only released an offline version in Europe of the first game and I think the second game never got a release in Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I had a copy of both, this was mid 2000s so probably a bit after the release dates but yeah I think both were available but you're right about no online access

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Probably because no one played it online. I think it could be good with a few friends.

Wouldn't mind CV either.

I couldn't care less about online play. I just thought the game was really poorly designed and rushed out the door.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well nobody could play it online in Ireland. They only released an offline version in Europe of the first game and I think the second game never got a release in Europe.
    I worded that poorly. I meant no one here could play it online not people just didn't play it online.

2 did get a release here.

• Advertisement

I couldn't care less about online play. I just thought the game was really poorly designed and rushed out the door.
    It definitely reused a lot of assets but I thought the short escape scenarios were a pretty good idea and that each character had different stats and skills.

It definitely reused a lot of assets but I thought the short escape scenarios were a pretty good idea and that each character had different stats and skills.

It wasn't a bad idea. There just wasn't any sort of story or interaction between the characters. There wasn't any mystery either or expansion on the lore either. You just had these normal, ordinary characters escape the city and that was it. The viral infection counter bugged the crap out of me as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

My main was George because he could craft specialty anti-infection medicines from herbs. They'd pause your virus gauge for ages which was really strong in some missions and for some characters. If you were on the ground your virus would increase rapidly but popping one of his pills would give a lot longer before someone could help you up.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

Me and my sister actually found a few copies in Ireland in our teens. We played the hell out of it and had 2 PS2s and 2 copies so we could cooperate locally, too. Outbreak is honestly the best online Biohzard game. A PC version with without loading screens is all I need.

I liked Yoko for the extra inventory slots or David for the crafting.

Yoko was for single player special item hoarding. A proper team working together invalidated her strength with that. David had certain missions where repairing level stuff sped it up so that had its uses. We was kind of a balanced character but most people chose specialty classes if they were cooping and possibly one aggressive lead like a Kevin to power through bosses. I knew a David main, though.

Pretty much why I want a remake, I only ever played it solo.

Not even a remake just something for modern platforms like a PC version. I played the PS2 version emulated a while back thanks to the fan servers. We had a 3 player coop session at my old apartment. 2 players on 2 PS2s and me on a linux system running PCSX2. We're kinda freaks about this game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only played the first one and it just did not work in single player. It just left me confused why all these characters were running around like idiots. And then the loading times were insane.

Heard it's a great multiplayer game and loading times are much better when played properly as it loads from hard disk.

It's not a great single player experience for sure. Definitely made for coop and I've still got great memories of it. Me and my sis still talk about crazy and difficult moments we and our online friends overcame together on the original servers and some on the fan servers.

Yeah like you mentioned you can somewhat speed up the loading in PCSX2 if you have a decent rig and SSD load everything. I'm sure even faster storage like M.2 could shave off a second or two as well. However other players on PS2 hardware or spinning rust will not be able to keep up. There was/is actually a meta strategy of abusing the long load times. If a surviving player was crippled on Danger health and/or imminent zombification due to bad virus gauge management then they could constantly enter and re-enter the same door, looping themselves in a load screen. With good communication from other players they would wait until anti-virus/bleed/poison solutions were found or just until critical level progress was made and could then be treated/carried to the end of the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Randomly remembered this existed.

• Advertisement

What do people make of Resi 7 and Revelations 2? They might keep me busy while I wait for Resi 3 to drop.

H. H. Asquith

7 was good. It is less combat focused than RE2 remake and has jump scares which some people don't like.

I though Rev 2 was just a cash grab with the amount of DLCs they were releasing for it. but it was pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

So been playing RE0 for the last while. I do like the game but some of the changes are really annoying me, mainly the way of dealing with your inventory. What was wrong with save rooms and why do we just dump everything anywhere we feel like it? Leads to lots of needless backtracking. Some of the combat seems jankier than usual. And, dare I say it, they pack a few too many enemies into rooms.

Also seems to be some quite OP enemies. Playing on normal. I had both Billy and Rebecca on caution and the character I wasn't controlling got caught by an enemy which was instant death. No danger phase. I had healing but didn't want to waste due to caution. Lost an hour of progress. Ah well, C'est la vie.

The atmosphere and the tension is excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

So been playing RE0 for the last while. I do like the game but some of the changes are really annoying me, mainly the way of dealing with your inventory. What was wrong with save rooms and why do we just dump everything anywhere we feel like it? Leads to lots of needless backtracking. Some of the combat seems jankier than usual. And, dare I say it, they pack a few too many enemies into rooms.

Also seems to be some quite OP enemies. Playing on normal. I had both Billy and Rebecca on caution and the character I wasn't controlling got caught by an enemy which was instant death. No danger phase. I had healing but didn't want to waste due to caution. Lost an hour of progress. Ah well, C'est la vie.

The atmosphere and the tension is excellent though.

The reason for the inventory changes, instead of the 'magic box' in the inventory/save rooms, is that was what people thought they wanted at the time, and had been criticising the boxes that warped your inventory everywhere. At least they criticised it until they played 0, and had to remember where they dropped something and backtrack for it!

Star Lord wrote: »
    The reason for the inventory changes, instead of the 'magic box' in the inventory/save rooms, is that was what people thought they wanted at the time, and had been criticising the boxes that warped your inventory everywhere. At least they criticised it until they played 0, and had to remember where they dropped something and backtrack for it!

Interesting, thanks.

Beauty of RE is you can make up an hour of progress in 5 mins once you know where to go and what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Resi 8 "Leaks", not sure how true so grain of salt and all that.

1st person again, Ethan main character again, zombies are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Looks like all those games really were training, as it seems that the current coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan is being looked into by pharmaceutical company RLSW... Link

rslw-umbrella-corporation-logo.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=415

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Resi 8 "Leaks", not sure how true so grain of salt and all that.

1st person again, Ethan main character again, zombies are back.

If they're returning to First Person View hopefully a VR mode will return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Advertisement