Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really need to stop , steps to take ?

• 31-12-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

27 , been smoking since 16/17 .

Attempt 1 : patches = lasted a week

Attempt 2 : stronger patches + lozenges = Hospital due to nicotine overdose ( smoked while on these due to a serious family matter )

Attempt 3 : cold turkey on the e-cig lasted 3 months .

I want and need my next attempt to really matter and am going to the doctor after the new year , people have being telling me go get Champix off him .

Could anyone here give me info on how they stopped iv been reading alot of posts and getting mixed reviews , my biggest downfall is stress and run for one when stressed out ( 25-30 a day )

I appreciate any help whatsoever thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sounds like you are ready for Champix. Im off them 3 years, you can do it as well

Go to your GP, get Champix and smoke away for up to 14 days. The dreams are mental though.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Sounds like you are ready for Champix. Im off them 3 years, you can do it as well

Go to your GP, get Champix and smoke away for up to 14 days. The dreams are mental though.

Good luck.

thanks happyoutscan !! , he offered champix last time but i declined over the reviews and went with patches etc :)

what sort of dreams did you suffer from ? ( nightmare , weird etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

If you can overlook the man's sheer whackness, whyquit.com has lots of interesting reading.

At the very least, Allen Carr will feel sane by comparison.

Seriously, though, this is what I did.

1) Set a quit date, no more than a month or so away.
    2) Wean yourself a little bit (try gradually cutting down your intake to about half the usual), just to lessen the shock.
    3) Go cold turkey, having warned loved ones and all those around you to stay the FÚCK out of your face for a week or so.

Nicotine replacement is really just prolonging the pain, IMHO.

Good luck, whatever you do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I am so bad at saying "I'll never have another..." be it cigarette, fatty food etc

Smoked for about ten years. What worked for me was keeping one in a box in the back of my wardrobe. when I'd get a craving I'd check the time and promise myself that cig if I still genuinely wanted it in 10 mins. I never still wanted it. It made me realise how fleeting the cravings actually are which helped a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Replace smoking with heavy exercise. The only time it worked for me was when I took up kick boxing. I quit after two weeks of classes as I couldn't catch my breath. I stayed off them for a year and a half until I gave up kick boxing due to a change in job. I'm all set to try again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Ok off since last January, was on 30 a day. Didn't want to go on the e ciggy s so went cold turkey. Ate and I mean ate chewing gums (v bad flatulence was caused) didn't care as the means justify the ends.. I really struggled but took a day at a time and kept chewing. Not going to lie but I still miss them but I don't cough or choke before going to bed and u can run further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

thanks for all the replys you all :D already play soccer and its really starting to effect my performance this year more than ever :( had a look on the champix forum on here i think il go for them in 2 weeks :)

thanks again everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Oliviageorge

The only step that you should take, is already taken by you.

Advertisement