Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Of Us 2

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Druckmann said they'd be toying around with various ideas for 5 years and had given up because nothing felt right. But then they hit upon a story idea worth developing. I've no reason to doubt him. ND don't cobble things together.

That could just mean they were offered more money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Druckman said on twitter they used a hand model for the guitar playing and first time using hand scanning tech, very impressive looking.

26cumy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Looking forward to this more than the other big sequel announced this year - RDR2. Really beautiful trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm really not confident in this at all, I don't think they ended the first game with any intentions of continuing the story of Joel and Ellie and they're now cobbling together whatever works. Really wish they just left them alone and explored more of this universe, the gameplay was always quite good but without a good story it's not worth playing.

The easy thing would have been to start afresh with new characters. You're not tied to the previous characters and story and can just do whatever you want with them. You could have it happening at any time period after the outbreak too.

By going back to Joel and Ellie, they risk exactly what you and others have been complaining about. They risk the implication that they're just using Joel & Ellie because they're popular and safe. They risk annoying people who may not like a new direction the characters take. They risk annoying people by prolonging the story of these characters which so many felt ended in the right way and doesn't need to be revisited.

But they're doing it anyway, and ultimately they're the ones best placed to make that decision and to know they're doing it for the right reasons, and because they feel the right story is there to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

On my first play through I was terrified (like literally) that Ellie wasn't going to make it. Can't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some detail leaving the bloodstain

tass.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

So Happy This is happening!! Best Game I Have ever played gets a Sequel!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    Cant happen. You had the option to leave the surgeon alive so....

Pretty sure you've no choice. The game won't continue otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I charged in blasting anything that moved without a second thought on my first play through.

Further down the line, I think I left it play out a bit and I was sure I couldnt get out of the room unless I killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Im sure some of you have already checked out the trailer song, but I'll put it here anyway for those who haven't, cracking song.

Shawn James & The Shapeshifters - Through The Valley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure you've no choice. The game won't continue otherwise.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I charged in blasting anything that moved without a second thought on my first play through.

Further down the line, I think I left it play out a bit and I was sure I couldnt get out of the room unless I killed them.

As has been mentioned, the guy standing over the table with scalpel has to die but you can leave everyone else in the room alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

One thing I'd be slightly concerned about is Ellie's melee and hand to hand combat. It wouldn't be realistic for her to be able to take on guys like Joel did. In the first game she was quite erratic and stabby so I'd be hoping for something more robust this time. Obviously she'll be a few years older but she still looks rather petit. I really enjoyed the physicality of the combat so I hope they find a way of maintaining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

One thing I'd be slightly concerned about is Ellie's melee and hand to hand combat. It wouldn't be realistic for her to be able to take on guys like Joel did. In the first game she was quite erratic and stabby so I'd be hoping for something more robust this time. Obviously she'll be a few years older but she still looks rather petit. I really enjoyed the physicality of the combat so I hope they find a way of maintaining that.
    Jumping on their backs and stabbing them in the neck repeatedly worked well enough for her in the last game.

I hope they don't give her super powers.

Evade wrote: »
    Jumping on their backs and stabbing them in the neck repeatedly worked well enough for her in the last game.

I hope they don't give her super powers.

They'll have to find the right balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

RasTa wrote: »
    I think Joel is dead or will be killed off earlyish as he doesn't seem to have aged much although looks like maybe 8 or 9 years have passed.

Certainly expecting somethign dark, Is he(druckman) going down the Godfather route with the part II

I see they have female enemies but what about transgender?

https://abload.de/img/skrmbillede2016-12-036ea8m.png

i think Joel is Dead and Ellie is on the warpath for his killers and he will appear in her thoughts and possibly in flashbacks..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

this speculation is upsetting
    Joel's not dead

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Im sure some of you have already checked out the trailer song, but I'll put it here anyway for those who haven't, cracking song.

It's a great track. For some reason when watching the reveal trailer, it reminded of When I Go by MacKenzie Dewolfe Howe from the Road to Paloma Soundtrack.

I have Ellie's version as an mp3 on my phone.

As good as the original might be, Ellie's version is the only version I want to hear.

On another note, I think people are reading too much into the trailer, including whether or not Joel looks older etc. It's entirely possible that that particular scene won't even be in the final game and was just something they did to announce the game and give an indication about the general story, the fact it's Joel and Ellie again and that Ellie is older, more badass etc.

I wouldn't take any of it as gospel or look for minor details etc. It'll likely be changed.

Penn wrote: »
    I think people are reading too much into the trailer, including whether or not Joel looks older etc. It's entirely possible that that particular scene won't even be in the final game and was just something they did to announce the game and give an indication about the general story

Exactly. As soon as I saw Eliie singing I thought to myself that it's likely only a promotional video.

• Advertisement

Exactly. As soon as I saw Eliie singing I thought to myself that it's likely only a promotional video.

It's actually going to be a Rock Band/TLOU hybrid. You kill your enemies by playing folk songs properly.

It's actually going to be a Rock Band/TLOU hybrid. You kill your enemies by playing folk songs properly.

Can't be worse than the Metal Gear Solid 3 pachinko machines

"There's room for only one Boss... and one Snake..."
    HIT THE LEVER!

Can't be worse than the Metal Gear Solid 3 pachinko machines

"There's room for only one Boss... and one Snake..."
    HIT THE LEVER!

Just wait until you get to the level where you have to kill the clickers with flamenco and castanets…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kirby wrote: »
    As has been mentioned, the guy standing over the table with scalpel has to die but you can leave everyone else in the room alive.

Pretty sure I killed them all. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

15369099_1211568068881188_1720506062808576085_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

The cast did a live read of some of the scenes in the game with an orchestra a few years ago. One of the scenes was a new scene set after the game, where Joel (Troy Baker) brought a guitar into Ellie's room, sang Future Days by Pearl Jam, and gave the guitar to Ellie.

I don't think it was ever filmed though, so there's no footage of it.

Full synopsis of the scene under One Night Live
    http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Joel

Seriously, if ye haven't watched TLOU One Night Live, definitely give it a go, brilliant watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

On another note, I think people are reading too much into the trailer, including whether or not Joel looks older etc.
    I read it's set five years after the first one so Joel might not look much different going from late forties to early fifties.

• Advertisement

Advertisement