Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malin to Mizen to Malin.

• 03-07-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up that Team Joe Barr are attempting a world record for completing a round trip from Malin to Mizen and back in less than 48 hours.

Kicked off at 16.00 today and live tracking is available on Irish cycling news.com

Comments

They could have had better luck with the weather but they aren't too far off Enniskillen at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just a heads up that Team Joe Barr are attempting a world record for completing a round trip from Malin to Mizen and back in less than 48 hours.

Kicked off at 16.00 today and live tracking is available on Irish cycling news.com

Where else in world can it be done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

https://www.irishcyclingnews.com/malin-mizen-malin-world-record-attempt-whitesoats-teamjoebarr-spiegelbikes/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I hope that wind doesn't turn on them the way back. They look like they'll only get a tailwind from about 4 pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He always seems to be unlucky with the weather. Good luck Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well fair play. Just outside Glasson enroute to Athlone, approx 1 hr ahead of schedule at this stage.

He always seems to be unlucky with the weather. Good luck Joe.

He's almost 2 hours ahead of schedule at the Kanturk TS and he now has a strong SW gale behind him. It might just go right for him today. Almost into Limerick on the return at the moment.

I looked around 7:30 and they were near Charleville, now nearing Limerick. Rough estimate I'd that was about 30km

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Should be a nice tail wind for the rest of this. It’s really picked up since the turn around earlier.

My mother just texted me just now asking if I knew where Joe was! Didn't know she had an interest in ultra cycling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

He's almost 2 hours ahead of schedule at the Kanturk TS and he now has a strong SW gale behind him. It might just go right for him today. Almost into Limerick on the return at the moment.

Did he take a shortcut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Well ahead now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

In Cloghan

3hrs ahead i'd say

Ginger83 wrote: »
    In Cloghan

3hrs ahead i'd say

Thats great going in fairness. I've driven support for these endurance/non stop rides and although it's difficult enough for us I really admire the cyclists who just keep trundling away morning, noon and night in all weathers with nothing to keep them going but their own strength and perseverance.
    I really hope he does it.

North of Enniskillen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Passed him early on in the attempt, on the road from Quigleys Point to Muff.

I'd guess that's about 30 mile into it?

He was flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,613 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just stumbled on this thread and delighted I did. Been reading up on the challenge. Absolute insanity, fair play!

Averaging around 25km/h for two days?! Wow!

Looks like he's under 5hrs to go and is 3hrs ahead of schedule...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

He's going to smash it!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Theres some video from the car on Facebook, search Team Joe Barr.

And he's done. Chapeau!!!!!!!!

EDIT: The got him into the car for a chat as it was very windy when they were speaking with him, fascinating to hear him talk about the bike and wheels etc and his preparation.

• Advertisement

Well done to all involved.

Anyone know the official time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from the link above, it seems to show they finished with 12 minutes to spare.

from the link above, it seems to show they finished with 12 minutes to spare.
    :confused: He had to be in before 4pm today to beat his record so it's way more than 12 minutes. I think he came in around noon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the timing on the site:

518930.png

a little odd. maybe they were the intended times, not actual? i just copped that the finish time is currently in the future!

But it's not 15.48 yet!

Is that the estimated times as he was in Enniskillen around 7am?

yeah, i copped that just after i posted it. brain fade here.

Well done to all involved.

Anyone know the official time?

No but was watching the finish on facebook shortly after 12pm so it's at least 3 hours off his target finish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

But it's not 15.48 yet!

Is that the estimated times as he was in Enniskillen around 7am?

Yeah, he was north of Muff ten minutes before he was due to be in Enniskillen. Amazing feat.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

738 miles 44hrs 15mins. (Unofficially).
    That must be around 28 kph average moving time (give approx 2hrs stopped).
    How does he do that for 44 hrs at age 61 ??

• Advertisement

Was a wet afternoon so had time to watch a few more of the videos on the facebook. Some of the chat / commentary from the car was well worth a listen for insight into doing something like this and not just from Joe's needs but stuff like how they drive etc was very insightful.

Advertisement