Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

For a beginner, lenses that exist today will still be more than functional for many years. Lenses have a very long life, a 10 year lifetime for a lens is the expectation for a kit lens not even the extreme end of how long the'll last if well cared for. Premium lenses will live for decades.

I see the advantage of mirrorless and would likely make that recommendation too, or as pointed out earlier even a micro four thirds option (admitidly it's probably in a bit more trouble than DX lenses). But I wouldn't consider a possible lack of DX lenses in the distant future an agruement against DX now. Canon are only one manufacturer and there are quite literally millions of lenses around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Limpy wrote: »
    Hi has anyone used the Kaiser bass x250 or x300? Will be using it mainly for hiking or some MTB. €79 and €99 are they worth it?

Had to google it, had never heard of it.

From what I read the x250 is 5megapixels which is woeful if you are planning on doing anything other than view pics on a small computer screen or even a phone screen.

20years ago I was working with cameras that were 4/5megapixels and that was top of the line at that stage.

It might suit your needs, but a properly mounted modern mobile phone will probably do a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Had to google it, had never heard of it.

From what I read the x250 is 5megapixels which is woeful if you are planning on doing anything other than view pics on a small computer screen or even a phone screen.

20years ago I was working with cameras that were 4/5megapixels and that was top of the line at that stage.

It might suit your needs, but a properly mounted modern mobile phone will probably do a better job.

I dont recall there being 4 and 5 mp cameras in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Kodak had 6MP cameras on the market in 1995. As I'd just recently bought a wife, a child and a house, I didn't have the funds left to buy anything so extravagant ... so settled for a more modest 1.2MP instead! :pac:

By 2005, though, they were giving away 2MP Nikon CoolPix cameras in my local supermarket (one of which I took, which I still have, and which still works [but eats batteries]) so 4-5MP must have been within consumer reach around 2000.

As I'd just recently bought a wife,

If ever there was a shop which sold such there would be a hell of a lot of returns.

Of course there may be a large skip outside.;)

• Advertisement

By 2005, though, they were giving away 2MP Nikon CoolPix cameras in my local supermarket (one of which I took, which I still have, and which still works [but eats batteries]) so 4-5MP must have been within consumer reach around 2000.

I purchased a 20D in 2005 and still have it. Use it weekly.

8mp with a 24-70mm 2.8L usm still produces excellent pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Apologies it was in 2001 not 2000.
    I remember saving back in 2000 for it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I took a bit of a break from photography six years ago. I sold my trusty 40D, but I kept my speedlight and 100mm 2.8 (USM) because I suspected that one day I’d catch the bug again. I still wanted something decent to take holiday photos, and with a handier form factor, so I bought a Fuji X100T.

Recently I have indeed caught the photo bug again, and I think it’s time to jump back in. My Fuji has been a wonderful workhorse, but I need something more versatile. I also have a daughter who will be walking before I know it, so I need something that can capture movement well - something I’ve always struggled with on the X100T.

That said, I am leaning towards a mirrorless option rather than DSLR. I’ve grown to like the EVF, and don’t use the OVF anymore (I love that you can switch on it). And while I’ve loved my time with my Fuji, I’m attracted by Canon’s offerings (it helps that I have some Canon gear).

So I’m torn between the EOS R and EOS RP. Having never owned a full frame, I wonder if I’d be better off spending less on the body and putting that money into glass, since the body will be a step up no matter which I go with.
    • EOS R + 24-105 f4.0
    • EOS RP + 24-70 f2.8

The second option is roughly €500 more, but that lens is incredible by all accounts. Alternatively, I could go for the first option and try to pick up a second hand EF version of the 2.8 with the adapter.

Nikon is in the mix too, because my sister is a Nikon shooter and we could help each other out with gear swaps. I know nothing about their range, only that the Z6 is a good option?

Grateful for any pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pigeonhouse

I shoot Canon but I would have moved to the Sony A7Riii if I could. I couldn't sell my lenses for a decent price at the time, get one of them in your hands before looking at the Canon mirrorless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I took a bit of a break from photography six years ago. I sold my trusty 40D, but I kept my speedlight and 100mm 2.8 (USM) because I suspected that one day I’d catch the bug again. I still wanted something decent to take holiday photos, and with a handier form factor, so I bought a Fuji X100T.

Recently I have indeed caught the photo bug again, and I think it’s time to jump back in. My Fuji has been a wonderful workhorse, but I need something more versatile. I also have a daughter who will be walking before I know it, so I need something that can capture movement well - something I’ve always struggled with on the X100T.

That said, I am leaning towards a mirrorless option rather than DSLR. I’ve grown to like the EVF, and don’t use the OVF anymore (I love that you can switch on it). And while I’ve loved my time with my Fuji, I’m attracted by Canon’s offerings (it helps that I have some Canon gear).

So I’m torn between the EOS R and EOS RP. Having never owned a full frame, I wonder if I’d be better off spending less on the body and putting that money into glass, since the body will be a step up no matter which I go with.
    • EOS R + 24-105 f4.0
    • EOS RP + 24-70 f2.8

The second option is roughly €500 more, but that lens is incredible by all accounts. Alternatively, I could go for the first option and try to pick up a second hand EF version of the 2.8 with the adapter.

Nikon is in the mix too, because my sister is a Nikon shooter and we could help each other out with gear swaps. I know nothing about their range, only that the Z6 is a good option?

Grateful for any pointers.

Price of the canon body's might go down soon, the new r6 and r5 have been released. Canon seem to have a great reputation for both video and photography, with the new bodies getting particularly good reviews. The Sony getting great reviews on video ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So I previously posted about looking for a new DSLR that shoots good video, I already own a DSLR but its fairly old and does no video but I wanted to be able to use my old len's with the newer camera.

I had decided on the Canon EOS M50 with a Canon EF-M 18-150 mm and the plan of getting a convertor for the older lens's. But with a new arrival due to November its fair price heavy at just over the 1k mark.

So I'm looking to downsize the price a little, in hindsight maybe I shouldn't worry about the len's after all I can't see my shelling out for new one's in the coming years as last time I even bought a lense was 2008.

So instead I'm looking for a really good all rounder Canon camera, shoots 4k video, really good features. If it can mount a flash or connect a tascam dr-05 audio recorder (especially the tascam dr-05) these would be big pluses.

My aim would be really to shoot more videos and I want to be able to have good audio, as I already own a tascam dr-05 I'd like to get the benefits out of it when shooting video.

Any suggestions at all?

Cabaal wrote: »
    So I previously posted about looking for a new DSLR that shoots good video, I already own a DSLR but its fairly old and does no video but I wanted to be able to use my old len's with the newer camera.

I had decided on the Canon EOS M50 with a Canon EF-M 18-150 mm and the plan of getting a convertor for the older lens's. But with a new arrival due to November its fair price heavy at just over the 1k mark.

So I'm looking to downsize the price a little, in hindsight maybe I shouldn't worry about the len's after all I can't see my shelling out for new one's in the coming years as last time I even bought a lense was 2008.

So instead I'm looking for a really good all rounder Canon camera, shoots 4k video, really good features. If it can mount a flash or connect a tascam dr-05 audio recorder (especially the tascam dr-05) these would be big pluses.

My aim would be really to shoot more videos and I want to be able to have good audio, as I already own a tascam dr-05 I'd like to get the benefits out of it when shooting video.

Any suggestions at all?

The audio on cameras is not very good. The only way to get good audio is a decent mic for the application it is being used and a recorder like a Zoom H?

So basically you need a Rode shotgun mic with a dead wombat and a Zoom H4/5/6. Or a good lapel/lavier mic and a Zoom H3/4/5.

The Canon M6 mk11 is a 4k uncropped video camera.

Nobody will ever listen to bad audio.

http://www.rosie.ie/zoom-h5-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The audio on cameras is not very good. The only way to get good audio is a decent mic for the application it is being used and a recorder like a Zoom H?

So basically you need a Rode shotgun mic with a dead wombat and a Zoom H4/5/6. Or a good lapel/lavier mic and a Zoom H3/4/5.

Agreed. Although (according to some) the DR-05 isn't as good as the Zoom, it's a big step in the right direction - but not if you downgrade the decent quality audio you've just recorded by feeding it into the camera. The sound guys will insist that "sound is half the picture" so the only reason for using camera-recorded audio with a 4K image would be for synching purposes.

I use a Canon 70D with a lavalier mic fed into a Tascam DR-05 and a Røde shotgun mic fed into a Tascam 70DR (and sometimes an additional mic recording ambiant sound onto a separate track on the 70DR. On-camera audio is kept only for synch purposes.

Agreed. Although (according to some) the DR-05 isn't as good as the Zoom, it's a big step in the right direction - but not if you downgrade the decent quality audio you've just recorded by feeding it into the camera. The sound guys will insist that "sound is half the picture" so the only reason for using camera-recorded audio with a 4K image would be for synching purposes.

I use a Canon 70D with a lavalier mic fed into a Tascam DR-05 and a Røde shotgun mic fed into a Tascam 70DR (and sometimes an additional mic recording ambiant sound onto a separate track on the 70DR. On-camera audio is kept only for synch purposes.

Tascam, Zoom whatever. As long as it has good pre-amps and does the business you are halfway there.

Clap your hands on camera. But dont forget to press the record button. (must remember that myself one day):rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I'm a beginner I'm looking at getting a dslr camera 2 lenses, memory card, bag and tripod. I'm clueless about this stuff is like something goodish I like how the canon cameras look but I'm not overly fussy about the brand. My budget is about €750 for the whole lot I'd like. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I can only point you to my own camera. It's a Panisonic Lumix G7. I bought it about 2 years ago second hand for 400, body only. I got it for video, however I was happy with the photo's I took it with it aswell. Another model from Panasonic that comes soon after this is the G85. That has in-body image stabilisation if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

Posted in the bargain threaf but thought I should ask here as this thread gets more traffic. Can get the Canon M100 with kit and 22mm prime lens for €344.

Trying to decide if it's worth switching too. I have a Nikon 5300 but don't use half as much as I should mostly because of the size to carry it around. Can get €226 for the Nikon in CEX or looks like €300 to €350 if I stuck it on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

what options are there mirrorless wise? as a main shooter to replace a dslr?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The biggest and most mature mirrorless system is the oldest, which is the micro four thirds sytem from Olympus and Panasonic, with the lenses and camera bodies from the two manufacturers being interchangeable and almost entirely compatible.

You can also use a vast range of legacy lenses from most manufacturers as manual lenses via adapters.

Then I think there's the Canon EOS R system, which I am not familiar with and the Sony FF mirrorless bodies of various sizes and features.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    The biggest and most mature mirrorless system is the oldest, which is the micro four thirds sytem from Olympus and Panasonic, with the lenses and camera bodies from the two manufacturers being interchangeable and almost entirely compatible.

You can also use a vast range of legacy lenses from most manufacturers as manual lenses via adapters.

Then I think there's the Canon EOS R system, which I am not familiar with and the Sony FF mirrorless bodies of various sizes and features.

What would you suggest value for money wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What would you suggest value for money wise?

A used Olympus E-M1 II and 12-40mm f2.8 off ebay for DSLR like handling and incredible water resistance or a used Olympus Pen-F for Leica like style.

For cheaper, very small, but still highly capable, a used Olympus OM-10 II or III.

If pro level video is a must, a Panasonic GH5 or G9 would be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

What are you replacing and what is your budget?

i had a 750 d a few years ago so im looking at either buying another dslr or mirrorless? also looking for advice on what cameras would be best value used

i had a 750 d a few years ago so im looking at either buying another dslr or mirrorless? also looking for advice on what cameras would be best value used

Well it depends on what you're looking for in the system really and what style of photography you're looking to do, do you want FF or crop ? have you much canon glass still? Are you looking at sports , wildlife or landscape, portrait? What kind of budget had you in mind? You might find some FF DSLRs at good prices as people move over to mirrorless.

There is loads out there to suit

glic83 wrote: »
    Well it depends on what you're looking for in the system really and what style of photography you're looking to do, do you want FF or crop ? have you much canon glass still? Are you looking at sports , wildlife or landscape, portrait? What kind of budget had you in mind? You might find some FF DSLRs at good prices as people move over to mirrorless.

There is loads out there to suit
    no canon glass at all now, so can start on a fresh system no issues. I want to have a kinda all rounder if possible that will touch most styles

no canon glass at all now, so can start on a fresh system no issues. I want to have a kinda all rounder if possible that will touch most styles

Budget?
    Sony A7 iii would cover a lot,FF 24 mp, dual card, auto eye detect so handy for portraits/ people photography, obviously not essential but would make it easier, good in low light, has great lens options from a few manufacturers, about 1,500 on a grey import site like efinity and maybe something like a tamron 28-70 2.8 around 700 from efinity.

That's a very decent set up but not sure how that fits with your budget?

thats way above my budget if im honest 4 or 500 as a start and i may upgrade again in the future

Maybe something like
    canon 250d with kit lens (18-55) about 499
    Canon 800d with kit lens about 550
    Mirrorless
    Fujifilm X-A7 with 15-45 about 480
    The ones above are from efinity

You'd have to price up Argos and may get something like the m200 mentioned above.

Check the likes of hukd you may see offers there

• Advertisement

Advertisement