Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket Door

• 29-06-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I'm currently consider buying a 1940s house with a separate living room and kitchen/dinner. I would be interested in opening the space between two rooms and inserting the pocket type door. Has anyone done that? What is the cost involved? The wall might need a laintel and there is a radiator on the wall. I'm aware the wall will be slightly thicker as a result of putting the pocket door in but that's ok, it's a neat solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm currently consider buying a 1940s house with a separate living room and kitchen/dinner. I would be interested in opening the space between two rooms and inserting the pocket type door. Has anyone done that? What is the cost involved? The wall might need a laintel and there is a radiator on the wall. I'm aware the wall will be slightly thicker as a result of putting the pocket door in but that's ok, it's a neat solution.

Pocket doors even if installed correctly with high quality hardware almost always give you trouble down the line and are difficult to fix once installed. I'd steer clear. Consider a barn style sliding door as they are easier to fix if they give trouble and there are some really nice ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Pocket doors even if installed correctly with high quality hardware almost always give you trouble down the line and are difficult to fix once installed. I'd steer clear. Consider a barn style sliding door as they are easier to fix if they give trouble and there are some really nice ones out there.

I’ve seen these in old houses and they look great

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Tbh we wouldn't be really using them very often, I'd be happy to take a chance. Looking online and they are about €1.2k, not sure how much installation would be incl. knocking down some of the wall.

Tbh we wouldn't be really using them very often, I'd be happy to take a chance. Looking online and they are about €1.2k, not sure how much installation would be incl. knocking down some of the wall.

1200 euro for what exactly? The doors and hardware? You can put the hardware on any doors you want. Is the opening very large? Are bespoke doors required?

1200 euro for what exactly? The doors and hardware? You can put the hardware on any doors you want. Is the opening very large? Are bespoke doors required?

For doors and mechanism. Double doors.

• Advertisement

For doors and mechanism. Double doors.

That seems a little excessive to me. If the doors required are not specially made to fit a certain size they range from 150 to 300 per door. The hardware can be expensive for the good ones and double doors.This one is Henderson and its 540 for double doors. If the doors are standard sizes I can't see 2 doors costing 660
    https://murphylarkin.com/PC-Henderson-Pocket-Door-Kit-PDK

That seems a little excessive to me. If the doors required are not specially made to fit a certain size they range from 150 to 300 per door. The hardware can be expensive for the good ones and double doors.This one is Henderson and its 540 for double doors. If the doors are standard sizes I can't see 2 doors costing 660
    https://murphylarkin.com/PC-Henderson-Pocket-Door-Kit-PDK

Thank you for the link. Would you know how much does it roughly cost to create an opening in the wall?.

Thank you for the link. Would you know how much does it roughly cost to create an opening in the wall?.

Hard to tell what it would cost. All the tradesmen are busy again so prices have increased. Choose someone with care there are a lot of cowboys out there. Hold back some of the payment till the job is done and if it's not done to your satisfaction don't pay them. I'm a carpenter by trade but I'm afraid I personally am way too busy as is most everyone I know. Best of luck I hope it all works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Remember you will be losing 6-8 inches from one room. That's quiet a bit of space. You'll need someone to do up the new stud wall, slab it and plaster it. It's gonna run into a good few thousand euros in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bfclancy wrote: »
    Remember you will be losing 6-8 inches from one room. That's quiet a bit of space. You'll need someone to do up the new stud wall, slab it and plaster it. It's gonna run into a good few thousand euros in all.

more if wall is structural, which is lightly in a '40s house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭JimboJones99

Hi,

I'm not sure if you got sorted or went ahead with the pocket doors or not but for it is worth we have just put in pocket doors into an extension we have built and the builder when pricing it up for us said it would cost us an extra €1,000 to go with it. That was putting it into a block wall, not a studded wall which he said would be easier. We had to source the doors seperately ourselves. By all the accounts my builder is pretty reasonable as builders go so that is maybe a guideline for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭JimboJones99

I have a separate question regarding pocket doors. As I said above we have just installed double pocket doors and I am looking to see what the best safety features are available to avoid children getting their fingers caught?

I have done a bit of research and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of information out there so if anyone has any experience of it, feedback would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I think my question. Is relevant to tag onto this thread rather than posting a new one.

Knocked the wall between kitchen and sitting room. Gonna put up a stud wall and double doors opening in. However now thinking of going for pocket doors instead as it would lead to a more efficient use of space.

With an ordinary partition wall it will be 125mm thick so I'm wondering how much more space would I lose if I went with the pocket doors?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

funnyname wrote: »
    I think my question. Is relevant to tag onto this thread rather than posting a new one.

Knocked the wall between kitchen and sitting room. Gonna put up a stud wall and double doors opening in. However now thinking of going for pocket doors instead as it would lead to a more efficient use of space.

With an ordinary partition wall it will be 125mm thick so I'm wondering how much more space would I lose if I went with the pocket doors?

Depends on the system you choose to use. Each have their own technical details available.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

funnyname wrote: »

Generally the pocket door will mean 2 studs and the gap for the door. Id imagine you would be looking at 210 to 225 wall width overall.

I did a bit of digging and got great help from a large door company in the south east and they suggested this system. A frame that the doors slide into and which both side of are slabbed so it becomes part of the wall.

https://www.pchenderson.ie/product/pocket-door-hardware/

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

I just got one from eclisse.co.uk quality looks good but ill let you know once fitted

booooonzo wrote: »
    I just got one from eclisse.co.uk quality looks good but ill let you know once fitted

How'd it go for you, probably going to get the above through a company in Galway. Do you know if you can put a light switch on the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

How did it go?

I found Eclisse pocket doors in Ireland https://pocketdoors.ie/products/single-pocket-door/ that one is 390 euro and fits a 100mm wall. Some advice given in this thread seems incorrect. It also takes any door you want so you can use your existing door.

Who installed it for you if I may ask?

My only concern is sound proofing. It seems that pocket doors are not as sound proof as a conventional door, but surely that has improved over the years I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thats not true, the frames are made for 100mm and 125mm walls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement