Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is the ad referred to above. I've no idea what the problem is with it
    https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1277923239654756361

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Reading the Forbes article about the AARP (French advertising standards authority), it's obvious that they are in the the pocket of big business in France...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lemme guess, the french advertising industry is self-regulated?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To be fair, if true, the French advertising agency just handed them a multi million euro as campaign for nothing. If it's not true, well played Vanmoof, it's really hard to tell the truth from fiction anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice ad actually, really liked that visual of the car melting away to a pool of liquid metal, very Terminator 2 :pac:

The bike on the other hand is one for the images of ugly thread surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've seen them in real life, I think they're actually quite nice in the flesh. I think ya have to get used to them. I didn't like them initially but I like them now. They're quite stylish for a hybrid/townbike thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hurrache wrote: »
    This is the ad referred to above. I've no idea what the problem is with it

The problem with it is that it is effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

eeeee wrote: »
    I've seen them in real life, I think they're actually quite nice in the flesh. I think ya have to get used to them. I didn't like them initially but I like them now. They're quite stylish for a hybrid/townbike thing.
    I see one locked to a railing overnight every night at the bottom of a very long driveway, cant believe its never been lifted. Without giving a location its a Georgian terrace in a wealthy part of Dublin so probably not too big a burden for the owner considering the cars in the driveway but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/07/01/cyclists-should-not-wear-headphones-mayo-councillor

Do these councilors do any research before launching into these rants?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

12 element wrote: »
    https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/07/01/cyclists-should-not-wear-headphones-mayo-councillor

Do these councilors do any research before launching into these rants?

Fair play to Director of Services Tom; "Director of services Tom Gilligan said you could have the same argument for slow drivers."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fair play to Director of Services Tom; "Director of services Tom Gilligan said you could have the same argument for slow drivers."

Yeah, but slow drivers are traffic, apparently cyclists aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Some cyclists, he said, are not getting into single file when they hear traffic behind them and were putting their own lives in danger.

Translation: "As soon as you hear a motorist's car engine behind you you should immediately scurry into single file even if that is likely to encourage a dangerous overtake. If a driver loses it with you for not doing this and mills you out of it, you only have yourself to blame."

Sounds like Counsillor John O'Malley could usefully be retested to see if his driving ability and mental attitudes towards other road users are of a high enough standard to make him a safe and competent driver worthy to hold a driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

eeeee wrote: »

Agree. I actually like them. They’re a good size for commuting. Like they look big and beefy and there’s a few touches of thoughtful design in them l, like the lights. They’re around years too. A proven concept if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Wasn't there a story reported in the media of a Dutch woman on a VanMoof stopped by the police in New York for wearing too short a skirt and distracting drivers, and then it turned out she was head of marketing at VanMoof or something?

And I think they got a story in the media about how they shipped their bikes with a graphic of a TV on the box so that they'd be handled with more care?

Maybe these things are all true, or maybe, as alluded to earlier, they're very good at creating stories for the media with their name in them.

Or both, I suppose.

EDIT: I didn't imagine it anyway:
    https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/cop-allegedly-threatened-to-ticket-cyclist-for-wearing-a-skirt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Wasn't there a story reported in the media of a Dutch woman on a VanMoof stopped by the police in New York for wearing too short a skirt and distracting drivers, and then it turned out she was head of marketing at VanMoof or something?

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/cop-allegedly-threatened-to-ticket-cyclist-for-wearing-a-skirt

Fcuking hill. In 2011. That's outrageous. Absolutely outrageous. I didn't know about that. :mad:

It might have been a marketing stunt. I guess all three might have been. I don't know.

https://gothamist.com/news/was-biking-while-sexy-story-just-viral-marketing-stunt-to-sell-bikes

EDIT: As you all already know, the French advertising watchdog story is real. They probably all are. VanMoof is very good at getting publicity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Waterford whispers could have a field day with VanMuff cycles from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I rate this guy's stuff as journalism (and pron) - New 8,500-bike parking garage in The Hague

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5qee4AVA3Y

• Advertisement

Alan Dillon on NewsTalk this morning https://www.newstalk.com/news/proposal-children-cycle-helmet-1040250
    “While the roads are much quieter during this time, they are not what they used to be. We are seeing a lot more cars, 4X4s and SUVs and I want to make sure that children at a young age are introduced to cycle helmets which can be part of their routine as they go through and develop during primary school.”

Hold on to your eyeballs, they'll do a fair bit of rolling listening to this :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Helmets will protect you when you're hit by an SUV? LOL

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The newstalk tweet promoting the segment (currently @ 57.1% No)...

https://twitter.com/BreakfastNT/status/1278943857548410880

I guess this is getting in Helmet megathread territory, but I don't see this coalition giving this a priority, especially with Ryan in Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I guess this is getting in Helmet megathread territory, but I don't see this coalition giving this a priority, especially with Ryan in Transport.

Ryan , the bicycle shop owner?
    Would not trust that guy--have you seen the company he keeps?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Eamon Ryan is not going to make helmets mandatory. Dillon has been at this since before government formation. It's definitely not happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Peregrine wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan is not going to make helmets mandatory. Dillon has been at this since before government formation. It's definitely not happening now.

Why is he so obsessed with this helmet plan? Has he nothing better to propose, like, oh I dunno, cycling infrastructure countrywide?

Perhaps he should stick to the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Liveline starts with a piece sympathetic to cyclists, think it may be that lady some might have seen in twitter who had a bad fright around Ashford.

Won't be long before a tonal shift I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

How long before red lights, "road tax", helmets and hi vis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Liveline starts with a piece sympathetic to cyclists, think it may be that lady some might have seen in twitter who had a bad fright around Ashford.

Won't be long before a tonal shift I'm sure.

Saw her video on Twitter. Very distressing.

Advertisement