Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ETB College becoming more relaxed about measures in place until the 5th May

Options
  • 25-04-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I work in an ETB College, I've been listening to Leo, and Simon Harris again today saying measures could continue for another 2 to 3 weeks if we drop our gaurd or dont stick to the guidelines.
    We have heard that there has been more movement in the last week, this is true for my place of work.
    From 2 on a Friday people going into the college last week to an average 10 per day this week..
    So basically some teaching staff arranged to come in and were told park there cars around the side ( hidden from public view).
    In one case a teacher met students in a shopping centre car park to collect arraignment s, and brought the assigments then into d school.
    When the annouments were made schools ,colleges closed in March we didnt really,we had an odd student using a computer room and the public still coming into reception asking about courses...
    Any other ETBs running like this,
    I find wrong that it happening by an government educational run college, health telling us abide by the laws and education sector sending people to work..we have been classed as essential workers by the way..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I'm an ETB student and on the 12th of March when the announcement was made they started to pack up.
    The culinary department prepared food to distribute to staff and students to use up, as did the canteen.
    Teachers told students to clear their lockers and bring everything home.
    I know one of my teachers left work in school and is waiting in the chance to collect it.
    We have to upload everything to Moodle, or at least email.
    We've been issued with additional assignments instead of exams and one of our assignments was changed to make it more upload friendly.
    We've to make our own videos for the practicals and send them in.
    We are also using a WhatsApp group for communication as a lot of the students won't use/check their email regularly.
    What's going on in your school is very wrong.

Your work is essential, for the moment, but not that essential it has to be done on site, or that teachers should be meeting students to collect work.
    Sorry for the long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Seems the opposite has happend in my college..when the schools closed some teachers came in for 2 weeks working some all day...then we had annoucments again about no more than 4 in a group together had to be family ect..
    We had students getting feedback and queing 9 students queing alot 2 metres apart some together chatting we created GATHERINGS..
    Then the annoucment came on the Friday about 2km restrictions that we have now....our college opened for all/ any teachers to collect items ect on the Monday 3 days later, on a timetable 70 people into a 3 hour peoriod...mad stuff..of course not everone availed...thankfully.
    So why are your school college treated differently to us if you are going for the same award...grounds for appeal?
    In schools colleges students learners are all to follow rules regulations why cant head people in the ETB follow rules guidelines ect ..
    Best of luck with you studies..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I can understand teachers going in for a day or two to clear their desks, collect work etc but they shouldn't be doing more than that.

Tbh, I feel some of our teachers treated the first 2 weeks as a bit if a holiday, for themselves, fired stuff at us but then didn't respond to our queries.

I know one of the teachers socially and she was saying they have departmental weekly zoom meetings

I'm pretty much finished now, so happy enough
    Let them do what they want, just protect yourself

Advertisement