Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2019/2020

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Now someone else post about skiing the feck, I'm having withdrawal symptoms here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

P!ssing rain in St Anton all day:mad:

Feckety feck.

Still - and remind yourself of this - it could be worse, I'm stuck at home where it is not skiing, or raining, and all 3 of my kids are taking dumps simultaneously. Oh the joys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Austria looks rough for the next 2 days :eek:

Heading for Hinterglemm in 2 weeks....

Bucketloads of snow in the forecast next while, interesting to see how it plays out with warm temps over last while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Heading to Zell am See on the 7th and I’ve been worried about the lack of snow and high temperatures. I wonder if this weeks forecast snow will change things.

Think kaprun is nearby madness, glacier and high, be grand

Plus it looks like there's going to be a lot of snow in next while

Meanwhile my monte rosa dreams not being brought any closer by that virus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just back from Passo Tonale / Ponte De Legno. All runs open (41/41, 100km) and beautiful powder up at 3000m. It was snowing yesterday when we left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Just back from Passo Tonale / Ponte De Legno. All runs open (41/41, 100km) and beautiful powder up at 3000m. It was snowing yesterday when we left.

How was the mood and deal with transfers etc?
    Assuming you went out of Linate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

gar wrote: »
    How was the mood and deal with transfers etc?
    Assuming you went out of Linate?

Flew in and out of Bergamo. Rented a lovely A6 Quattro Avant and drive time was about 2 hours, very easy trip. Resort is great, there was snow everywhere but it was fantastic up above 2500m. 41/41 lifts open app week.

Night skiing on twice a week too which was pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Just home from Andorra today. Conditions were fairly mixed, no natural snow before we went and unseasonably warm weather. So the snow was hard the first day to begin with but softened up throughout the day. Virtually no moguls too since the snow was not plentiful. That said, everything was open, so I wouldn't complain too much. Day 2 was perfect for most of the day. We had snow overnight, so it couldn't have been better that day. But then it got very slushy towards the end of the day. To give an idea of how cold it wasn't, there was a guy skiing in his boxers!

It's a grand sized ski area there though. Loads of nice reds and the couple of blacks I didn't weren't too bad at all. It would be nice if the lifts were a bit faster and bigger though. I'd only been in Austria before there and there's a noticeable infrastructure difference. Both for lifts and ski bars.

As regards the resort itself, I had heard Andorra was a bit crazy. But it was very nice. The food was great, everything was relatively cheap, and the duty free there is great!

I'm nit picking about the trip, but I'm delighted we got away. One thing which made me laugh was that the resort didn't open until 11 the last day due to winds. After that being my concern for cervinia I laughed at the reminder that it can happen anywhere! I'd pick Austria over Andorra, but would happily go back at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Centre Hit

Hi random banter,

Can I ask if you prefered Flaine or Les Carroz? We have flights booked to Geneva in 3 weeks and are having trouble getting accomodation! There is 1 spot in flaine and 1 in Les Carroz. We had tried les gets and morzine but no luck there. We're a group of 4 lads but at our age now, apres isn't as important as it used to be, that and Covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I’d stay in Flaine if I was you. It’s an ugly purpose built town but higher up and mostly ski in ski out accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hey there,

We were due to go to Les Carroz the week Ireland went into lockdown, so we never got to experience it. I think it would have suited our needs perfectly though - nice looking runs home, decent slopeside cafes, nice local restaurants and that cute alpine feel. The previous poster is correct in saying that Flaine is higher up, so it's going to have more snow on the ground in the streets if snow hasn't fallen recently. But it is pretty ugly. Les Carroz is more of a traditional looking, cosy village. We also went to Samoens, part of the same ski area, and it's lovely but you do need to get the gondola up to the main ski area. And the runs in the area weren't quite my cup of tea.

The Grand Massif area is very easy to make your way through, so if you're between places I wouldn't worry about it - it doesn't take long to travel around and explore the other areas. I spent a lot of time on the slopes in Morillion the first time I went, even though I was staying in Samoens.

Check out the Les Carroz webcams - lots of snow on the ground in the village today - https://www.lescarroz.com/en/webcams/

And Flaine: https://en.flaine.com/webcams

Ended up getting a spot in Les Carroz but will be over in Flaine for sure!

Many thanks for the info! Not long left til I go now, just gotta stay covid free for next week and a half...

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Just back (on Sat 29th) from a week in Flaine. Hadn't snowed heavily since 10th Jan but there was plenty; we were back and forth between the different ski areas so doesn't make much difference - great ski area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hey everyone,

Going to book a ski holiday for this Christmas/ New Year. When is the best time to book.

have been to tignes once and loved it will probably go back but is there any other recommendations?

thanks

Advertisement