Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Health insurance and pension, advice.

• 26-01-2020 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Was looking for some kind of idiots guide to these, I've really no clue about either, but are both something I want to get started this year.

I'm 30yo, and have never had either before. Have been looking at the HIA website and Laya/ VHI websites etc but I'm still a bit clueless. I assume the cheaper policys (a bit like anything) arent really worth a toss, at the same time I think all I really need is a reasonable level of cover for unexpecteds, not really for covering GP or dental costs or whatever but just so as I would have some kind of cover if I developed a serious illness.

Similarly with the pension, it'd be nice to be putting a few euro away but I dont really know where to begin. I suppose I'd be limited in what I could contribute but anything is better than nothing?

I could be miles away here but what could I do per month with a budget of say €400 a month to split between both? Have a good few outgoings at the minute that will lessen over the next 2-3 years where I could look to increase that a bit.

My own employer unfortunately doesn't have schemes for health or pension. My partner already has health cover through work, so a joint policy isn't really an option.

Would love some advice for a novice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

I'd second this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd second this

You repost the first and only post in a thread to say that? :confused:

Boards needs to implement a ban on the first responder pressing the 'quote' button.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

I hadn't realised I had the full quote in my post. Please accept my whole hearted apologies. I've edited it so not to offend or anger those who have nothing better to do than type a complaint to a minor impact on their scrolling day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah just moved to an employer without health insurance and now I've no idea what to buy.

Like OP I just don't want to be screwed if I get sick. (Although I'd also take some money towards day to day like GP or Physio I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah just moved to an employer without health insurance and now I've no idea what to buy.

Like OP I just don't want to be screwed if I get sick. (Although I'd also take some money towards day to day like GP or Physio I guess).

I think you have 13 weeks to set up a new policy without resetting your waiting periods for the pre-existing level of coverage (with vhi and laya anyway), so depending on when you changed employers, this might be something you need to look into quickly.

hia.ie has a comparison tool. If you know which plan you were on before, you might be able to find something similar? Most of the insiurers seem to have policy selection tools too, although I'm don't know how useul they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

pillphil wrote: »
    I think you have 13 weeks to set up a new policy without resetting your waiting periods for the pre-existing level of coverage (with vhi and laya anyway), so depending on when you changed employers, this might be something you need to look into quickly.

hia.ie has a comparison tool. If you know which plan you were on before, you might be able to find something similar? Most of the insiurers seem to have policy selection tools too, although I'm don't know how useul they are.

Yeah I sort of missed that window which was stupid. I had only been in 2 years, so I guess I just hope I don't develop something they count as pre-existing between 2023 and 2025 because I'll feel a right tit.

Advertisement