Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous #GE2020 promises

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

FF's proposals to reform BusConnects & Metrolink are some seriously stupid ideas to even think about for any voter living in Dublin right now. Why on earth do FF need to change these projects all over again? Have they not even considered that the electorate have suffered enough already with their constant mistakes? If the original proposals coming from Jarrett Walker was in some way regarded as a failure from Jim O'Callaghan's view on radio during the weekend; In what realistic way do FF think that their way is the better way when it comes to reforming the bus network in Dublin? Do they not realize that if they propose to have another group coming in from another country to reform the bus service in Dublin. They are at risk of having a 'newly proposed' plan that is a whole lot similar to other bus networks in Europe have already for the past number of decades? The major selling point coming from FF is that this new so-called plan is rebranded under a different name but doesn't offer more improvements in it overall as it just offers more of the same stuff as the current iteration of the proposals that are out to the public right now.

They're doing the exact same thing with Metrolink, however they are not scrapping ML, they will delay the construction date until sometime in 2027 wasting even more time & money with pointless that will be to the detriment of these current voters. E.g. actual members of the public who vote for these parties in the ballot box on polling day. Let ourselves be realistic about FF here. This is just their way of kicking their own can down the road with reforming the bus network when compared to what happened when DU & MN were given 'redesign' proposals under FG & the NTA only a few short years ago. FF are going down a dangerous path of repeating past mistakes all over again when it comes to transport planning in this country without contemplating the backlash from their potential voters who want BusConnects & ML to go ahead as intended. Now having said all of this. I have not heard or read everything in FF's manifesto regarding issues with public transport.

But some answers to my current questions would give me a good idea of where they are with this issue.

1) What is FF's stance on Go Ahead providing bus services, under the BMO process here, from Dublin Bus & Bus Eireann?

2) Are they in favour of getting rid of Go Ahead altogether from the Irish transport sector & hand the routes back to Dublin Bus & Bus Eireann?

3) Are FF in favour of keeping a cashless bus fare system in place proposed by BusConnects?

4) What is their stance on a newly proposed flat fare & the free 90 minute transfers between Bus, IE & Luas services provided on the Leap Card?

5) Are FF committed to introducing more 24 hour bus services provided by Dublin Bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

1) What is FF's stance on Go Ahead providing bus services, under the BMO process here, from Dublin Bus & Bus Eireann?

2) Are they in favour of getting rid of Go Ahead altogether from the Irish transport sector & hand the routes back to Dublin Bus & Bus Eireann?
    What difference does their stance make? Tendering is required by EU law. GA seems to have bedded in on most of their routes. What is your issue with them?

In the event of a certain political party getting into The next government, the whole housing crisis will be completely solved solved within their term of office.

Cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Idbatterim wrote: »
    My dad said you need a small dictatorship to get anything done in this country and he’s right !
    FO'T had an interesting take on this. not quite the dictatorship line, but the underlying issue.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-safety-first-politics-has-had-its-day-1.4145605

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tell everyone what they specifically want to hear and hope they never find out what you told someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No policy and no manifesto yet. They are just trying everyone what they want to hear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hate saying it, but a key part of the PR campaign for the metro should be letting homeowners know how much the value of their property is likely to increase if located near a metro stop.

Many residents living nearby drive everywhere and can't even fathom the idea of using public transport. They don't give a **** about public transport. All they care about is the value of their properties.

We had the same nonsense when the Luas was first proposed. Now residents love it because of increased property values. It's all €€€.

Even if you ignore the increase in property values and the person never, ever, ever will use anything but their car to get around, it is still good for them as plenty others in the area or who usually drive through the area will use it and it should reduce traffic for them. But no they'll shout it down because of a few months hassle with construction in the area. So fúcking stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it won't be 'a few months' i suspect, to be fair.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No policy and no manifesto yet. They are just trying everyone what they want to hear.

Good luck both building ML and BusConnects and canceling them both

• Advertisement

What difference does their stance make? Tendering is required by EU law. GA seems to have bedded in on most of their routes. What is your issue with them?

I have no issues with tendering or dealing with GA.

My issue here is that with some of the plans from BusConnects have already been implemented like the new bus livery, new multi operator bus stops, new bus services in Waterford, Kilkenny, Sligo & other parts of the country, negotiating on the new flat fare for Leap & a new bus lane with traffic restrictions down along one section in Cork City. FF cannot be seen to be anything stupid when dealing with a plan like BusConnects. The NTA could descend into a huge row with FF about getting rid of it altogether by replacing it with a new alternative plan to reform bus services in Dublin. That is because of the costs involved in setting it up that have already been spent under the plan by Leo's government along with the issue of getting another agency to write more proposals to reform the actual routes that are been replaced with new services. It is just that the NTA do have a mandate current transport policy to carry out these plans with permission from the government. If FF are there when they are in government in future & say no to FG's current plans for the NTA; everything that was done or needed to be done could descend into chaos.

Prime Time has a report now about people commuting times from Navan Co.Meath from Louise Byrne. David McCullough is doing a live broadcast from Navan for tonight's programme which is about commuting later on in the programme. It should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Prime Time has a report now about people commuting times from Navan Co.Meath from Louise Byrne. David McCullough is doing a live broadcast from Navan for tonight's programme which is about commuting later on in the programme. It should be good.

Has anyone from FF been on it yet? at this stage, just shelve everything and wait until teleportation, becomes a reality! they can slash the infrastructure spend to blow on crap, they are good at that!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Has anyone from FF been on it yet? at this stage, just shelve everything and wait until teleportation, becomes a reality! they can slash the infrastructure spend to blow on crap, they are good at that!

Thomas Byrne was on it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

Listening to Newstalk there and they had Micheál Martin on. Bit disappointing that not one caller or texter asked about infrastructure or transport issues.
    While we can be accused of being in a bubble in here I'm surprised its not on the radar of the general public.

Although the cynic in me thinks the calls are filtered by the editors to suit any agenda the station may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Metros and Luas for all![/QUOTE]

A move to cosy up to eamon Ryan? wasn’t he out with the crayons for that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

"the government will explore the feasibility of extending MetroLink to additional locations including UCD and south-west Dublin".

The greenline upgrade will be a tiny fraction of what it will cost to tunnel on either of those routes. Beside promising a feasibility study only kicks the can down the road and doesn't really promise anything like a 'metro for all'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They are going to come up with such great imaginary plans , it will result in the one realistic one , being potentially shelved ! Great !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

https://www.greenparty.ie/campaigns/ge2020-public-transport-first/?fbclid=IwAR2EWJ_0Un23KFPsueIA9Rw7nuXm43K0_KtRigaYaoYY8-idXoNPsqM_kB4

Greens say they support BusConnects, DART expansion and first phase of MetroLink asap with a "quick review" of the southern section. As well as 20% of transport budget for walking and cycling and remainder 2:1 in favour of PT over roads.

This sounds like most sensible transport manifesto so far? (Is it the only one so far?)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

prunudo wrote: »
    "the government will explore the feasibility of extending MetroLink to additional locations including UCD and south-west Dublin".

The greenline upgrade will be a tiny fraction of what it will cost to tunnel on either of those routes. Beside promising a feasibility study only kicks the can down the road and doesn't really promise anything like a 'metro for all'.

Its the same as when your mam said "We'll think about it" when you asked for something. You go off all happy it might happen, when in reality not a chance.

they should really be using the proper name for the current plans for dublin metro, not metro north!

"Finally, we will reconsider the case for the underground DART Interconnector between Spencer Dock and Inchicore."

this is the key piece of the jigsaw for god sake! They need to start working on new plans or get the old ones resurrected now for DU!
    Our policy is to reallocate the capital transport budget so that 10% is spent on walking infrastructure, 10% on cycling infrastructure and the remainder is split 2:1 in favour of public transport over road building and maintenance.

I totally agree with this, what has the ration been over the past couple of decades on road v rail? 90% + on road minimum I assume?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dats me wrote: »
    https://www.greenparty.ie/campaigns/ge2020-public-transport-first/?fbclid=IwAR2EWJ_0Un23KFPsueIA9Rw7nuXm43K0_KtRigaYaoYY8-idXoNPsqM_kB4

Greens say they support BusConnects, DART expansion and first phase of MetroLink asap with a "quick review" of the southern section. As well as 20% of transport budget for walking and cycling and remainder 2:1 in favour of PT over roads.

This sounds like most sensible transport manifesto so far? (Is it the only one so far?)

Great to see, they've been upgraded on my voting preferences based on that.

Now we just wait until Eamonn Ryan starts opining on it, hopefully someone sensible took away his box of crayons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I know it's a parody account but I still agree with their policies. :pac:

CatInABox wrote: »
    Great to see, they've been upgraded on my voting preferences based on that.

Now we just wait until Eamonn Ryan starts opining on it, hopefully someone sensible took away his box of crayons.
    the main problem with the green party for me (and i've always given them one of my top voting preferences) is saoirse mchugh. i like her and understand why she's taking her stance, but this 'we will not go into coalition, no matter what' rhetoric needs to be nipped in the bud.
    why would i bother voting for a party when there are such voices insisting that they don't want a chance to put their manifesto into practice?

the main problem with the green party for me (and i've always given them one of my top voting preferences) is saoirse mchugh. i like her and understand why she's taking her stance, but this 'we will not go into coalition, no matter what' rhetoric needs to be nipped in the bud.
    why would i bother voting for a party when there are such voices insisting that they don't want a chance to put their manifesto into practice?

ignore that BS, its single person in the party. Its not the leader saying it. I would say with the current green movement, the greens would definitely like to go into government. Once they dont upset the apple cart on dublin metro and delay the current plans, with ryans crayons etc, I will give them a vote.

yeah, i am hoping a green canvasser comes to the door - and they're briefed with the party line on that topic.
    it'd be a pity for the greens to do well only for one or more of their TDs to bail based on a coalition deal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement