Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Will this be the intro to the meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hope she is strapped into her seat for the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I hope Josepha Madigans not holding the sword of Damocles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Will humanity be crossed???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Relax folks.

She'll just run as an independent "gene pool FG' candidate if things don't go her way on this.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Relax folks.

She'll just run as an independent "gene pool FG' candidate if things don't go her way on this.
    Outside of FG she is unelectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

She could apply for a job as a swing supervisor.

Relax folks.

She'll be the swinging vote candidate for DL, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Outside of FG she is unelectable.

I wouldn't be so sure.

History has shown that the Irish voter has a very short memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tigger123

You'd want to be knee deep in community work and projects in order to survive this and get re-elected as an independent.Tony Gregory, Willie O'Dea et al.

Not saying she isn't, just saying. She would nearly want to be running against FG.

I wouldn't be so sure.

History has shown that the Irish voter has a very short memory.

Thankfully in this case they'll have insurance premium renewals to keep their memories nice and fresh. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

<Swing pun>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

tigger123 wrote: »
    You'd want to be knee deep in community work and projects in order to survive this and get re-elected as an independent.Tony Gregory, Willie O'Dea et al.

Not saying she isn't, just saying. She would nearly want to be running against FG.

16th January 2019
    Billboards won’t build houses; evidence based realistic policy will - Bailey

21st August 2018
    Increase in housing supply is key to solving our housing crisis - Bailey

20th July 2018
    Does Sinn Féin understand the complexity of housing? - Bailey

https://www.finegael.ie/our-people/tds/dublin/dun-laoghaire/maria-bailey/

In fairness, she has her finger on the pulse of community issues does Maria. :pac:

She sticks her ahead above the parapet and the response is overwhelming.

https://twitter.com/MariaBaileyFG/status/1185957542213672966

She may also wish to sing this while strapped to aforementioned chair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Leo sez he'll take their vote into consideration. Likely as much as the FG HQ took the vote to elect Coveney as leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Will the Dun Laoghaire branch have the cojones to do in private what Leo didnt have the cojones to do in public?

Leo sez he'll take their vote into consideration. Likely as much as the FG HQ took the vote to elect Coveney as leader.

Just heard on the 2pm news on NT that Leo several ministers are refusing to back Maria, not sure who the ministers were, but they had a clip of Richard Briton throwing his hat into the ring.

Can't get my head around it or their motives, didn't they come out swinging (no pun intended) for Maria in the wake of the report that most definitely exonerated her in every way it could?

They're now prepared to scuttle a TD, that their own internal report found did nothing wrong? Ever get the feeling that this report that Leo decided should not be revealed to the plebs didn't say what leo told the plebs it said?

Alan Farrell must be touching cloth tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just heard on the 2pm news on NT that Leo several ministers are refusing to back Maria, not sure who the ministers were, but they had a clip of Richard Briton throwing his hat into the ring.

Can't get my head around it or their motives, didn't they come out swinging (no pun intended) for Maria in the wake of the report that most definitely exonerated her in every way it could?

They're now prepared to scuttle a TD, that their own internal report found did nothing wrong? Ever get the feeling that this report that Leo decided should not be revealed to the plebs didn't say what leo told the plebs it said?

Alan Farrell must be touching cloth tbh.

Of course it didn't JD, otherwise Leo would have had it out to the press that night and hitting every morning radio show with the extracts/commentary.

Leo, far more than his predecessor, is very conscious of media perception and "messaging" to the aforementioned plebs. First and foremost regarding his own profile, but he knows the cat was out of the bag on this one, and there's also Maria' implication that if she goes down, others are going down too from her infamous SOR interview to factor in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Irish Examiner lists the non backers as Leo, Simon Harris, Eoghan Murphy, Richard Bruton and Josepha Madigan.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cabinet-ministers-fail-to-support-maria-bailey-ahead-of-crunch-meeting-960893.html

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Irish Examiner lists the non backers as Leo, Simon Harris, Eoghan Murphy, Richard Bruton and Josepha Madigan.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cabinet-ministers-fail-to-support-maria-bailey-ahead-of-crunch-meeting-960893.html

**Looney Tunes voice** Wait a goddam cotton-picking minute here.....

So, Madigan gave Maria Bailey initial legal advice to initiate a case against the Dublin business, helped her fill in the application to the PIAB, (and I wonder if she had any involvement in demanding the initial 20k from the hotel), and now she's joining forces with others in refusing to back her?

Surely Bailey took the legal advice at face value, and did what she was advised to do based on same? I know if I go to my doctor and if he prescribes something, I don't go off on my merry way asking the pharmacist to give me something else.

What a bunch of sleveens, I'm almost at a point where I'm rooting for Maria now, this could get interesting and messy.

Popcorn required post haste.

Likely Maria dropped Josepha in it in the internal report so they are no longer pals and Josepha is gambling Maria won't make things worse for everyone by going public.
    Might leak out mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hopefully Maria throws a few grenades

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dancing with the Stars is calling for her :p

I think Maria will never have to work a day in her life. She'll be sorted by the law and order party.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Ah stop RTE is already strapped for cash, the insurance premium to have Bailey on would close it...hope she goes on. ;-)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Maria and Marty Morrissey?

I'm out of puns after this one

When a motion of no confidence was tabled locally in recent weeks, Bailey made an impassioned defence of her position.

She referred to the death of her father, John Bailey, re-elected as a Fine Gael councillor in May before he died in July and the personal toll of the fallout from the controversy over the claim.

Bailey said she hadn't been given the opportunity to properly mourn his loss because it had been non-stop.

A similar appeal tonight will be hard to ignore.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/its-a-halloween-witchhunt-sympathy-vote-swings-to-maria-bailey-in-a-heave-with-twists-in-the-tale-38649957.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement