Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Where it might cut through a field could the greenway not deviate along by the ditch within the field?

What makes the old railway lines so good for cycling is the fact that they are flat, the old trains couldn't do gradients very well and that infrastructure is still there for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mullingar to Athlone greenway, view from the bridge at Garrycastle. There is an entrance being built to the Spar car park here.

362129.jpg
    Planning notice for the next stretch into town:

362130.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Mullingar to Athlone greenway, view from the bridge at Garrycastle.

Were there once double tracks on this line - or was it constructed to allow for an expansion that never came?

Yes, it was double track, I think until the 1920s.

See the OS 25" map from 1900ish.

The line in use today (to Clara) was always single track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

There was a report just there on Ear to the Ground about this. The Dublin Galway greenway is completed (or nearly) as far as Athlone, but the plans have stalled from Athlone to Galway due to lack of agreement with farmers. It sounds a bit like the route was drawn up without a whole lot of consultation with landowners. Hopefully, with a bit of face to face engagement these problems can be overcome - maybe by running it along the edges of fields rather than dividing them etc.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Hopefully, with a bit of face to face engagement these problems can be overcome

If you pay them boom development prices for the land, then no worries.

If you don't, expect to land in court, and lose.

If you pay them boom development prices for the land, then no worries.

If you don't, expect to land in court, and lose.
    I don't think it's as black and white as that. A third of landowners have said they are willing to co-operate, even as it is. So, maybe with some better engagement, and changing of route etc. that can be improved. They managed it down in Mayo with the greenway down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There was a report just there on Ear to the Ground about this. The Dublin Galway greenway is completed (or nearly) as far as Athlone, but the plans have stalled from Athlone to Galway due to lack of agreement with farmers. It sounds a bit like the route was drawn up without a whole lot of consultation with landowners. Hopefully, with a bit of face to face engagement these problems can be overcome - maybe by running it along the edges of fields rather than dividing them etc.

This lack of consultation thing is a red herring, how could they have consulted with landowners before a route was known? Just like with roads, a general route corridor, probably a couple of hundred metres wide, is identified and then, following consultation, the exact route to the metre is selected. Doing it any other way is putting the cart before the horse and talking to several thousand landowners between Athlone and Galway in a corridor stretching from Moylough to Loughrea, most of whom would be nowhere near the eventual route. There are other things that have to be considered in selecting a route, like ecologically sensitive areas or flood planes which will affect the route which need to be identified at an early stage to avoid wasting peoples time. No doubt the final greenway will run along the edges of fields rather than dividing them, the farmers just want to present it as something that will destroy their livelihood in order to win public support.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    This lack of consultation thing is a red herring, how could they have consulted with landowners before a route was known? Just like with roads, a general route corridor, probably a couple of hundred metres wide, is identified and then, following consultation, the exact route to the metre is selected. Doing it any other way is putting the cart before the horse and talking to several thousand landowners between Athlone and Galway in a corridor stretching from Moylough to Loughrea, most of whom would be nowhere near the eventual route. There are other things that have to be considered in selecting a route, like ecologically sensitive areas or flood planes which will affect the route which need to be identified at an early stage to avoid wasting peoples time. No doubt the final greenway will run along the edges of fields rather than dividing them, the farmers just want to present it as something that will destroy their livelihood in order to win public support.
    Roads are trickier though once the general corridor is identified. You can be a lot more flexible with a greenway. The Mayo one for instance has 90 degree turns to skirt around individual properties. So, there is more scope for negotiation about the exact route. My understanding as well is that the approach being taken is deliberately "permissive" in that the state isn't going to have the threat of a CPO in its back pocket, to move things along. I don't see it happening without the agreement of landowners.

Roads are trickier though once the general corridor is identified. You can be a lot more flexible with a greenway. The Mayo one for instance has 90 degree turns to skirt around individual properties. So, there is more scope for negotiation about the exact route. My understanding as well is that the approach being taken is deliberately "permissive" in that the state isn't going to have the threat of a CPO in its back pocket, to move things along. I don't see it happening without the agreement of landowners.

Of course negotiation and consultation with landowners is needed, my comment is in relation to when consultation can take place. A general route via Ballinasloe and Loughrea was selected and then consultation with landowners in that area can happen. Opening consultation with landowners earlier than that, before any route has been identified, would mean talking to every landowner in the diamond with Athlone, Loughrea, Galway and Moylough as the corners. That’s a huge area with a lot of landowners and only a small proportion of them will be on the final route. And even after talking to them, it may then turn out that there is are archaeological/ecological/engineering reasons why certain places wont work so it wont affect some of the landowners. That is why I say talking to every landowner between Athlone and Galway is putting the cart before the horse. Do they really need to be talking to some fella who owns a few acres in Mountbellew about a greenway potentially going through his land any for it later to be revealed that the actual greenway will be 30km away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In Mayo the plan was to follow the old railway alignment as close as possible so they had effectively chosen a corridor and only deviated where there were objections or obstacles

hardCopy wrote: »
    In Mayo the plan was to follow the old railway alignment as close as possible so they had effectively chosen a corridor and only deviated where there were objections or obstacles

Yes, this is why the Mullingar-Athlone route is straightforward, it's the old railway line.

No such route exists to Galway, although one of the options was to follow the in-service Athlone-Galway line. Not sure how that was to work.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Of course negotiation and consultation with landowners is needed, my comment is in relation to when consultation can take place. A general route via Ballinasloe and Loughrea was selected and then consultation with landowners in that area can happen. Opening consultation with landowners earlier than that, before any route has been identified, would mean talking to every landowner in the diamond with Athlone, Loughrea, Galway and Moylough as the corners. That’s a huge area with a lot of landowners and only a small proportion of them will be on the final route. And even after talking to them, it may then turn out that there is are archaeological/ecological/engineering reasons why certain places wont work so it wont affect some of the landowners. That is why I say talking to every landowner between Athlone and Galway is putting the cart before the horse. Do they really need to be talking to some fella who owns a few acres in Mountbellew about a greenway potentially going through his land any for it later to be revealed that the actual greenway will be 30km away?
    Obviously not. So, what is the the current status with the route then? It seemed like these people thought it was definitely planned to go through their land. It seems also there is a lot more scepticism about the very idea of a greenway going through the likes of dairy farms...

Yes, this is why the Mullingar-Athlone route is straightforward, it's the old railway line.

No such route exists to Galway, although one of the options was to follow the in-service Athlone-Galway line. Not sure how that was to work.
    Definitely, what they are planning is a much more attractive option than following an active railway line. I just hope it works out.

Obviously not. So, what is the the current status with the route then? It seemed like these people thought it was definitely planned to go through their land. It seems also there is a lot more scepticism about the very idea of a greenway going through the likes of dairy farms...

Reports on the route selection process here;

http://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/#!athlone-castle-to-galway-city/c1zst

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hello everyone.

I have just come across this thread. Brilliant information thank you.

I am a walker, not a cyclist, so I hope that is allowed too!

The Greenway concept is a fantastic one. Off road, quiet (mostly) and hopefully services nearby if one wants to walk or cycle a very long route like the Dub-Galway.

Have walked the Mayo Greenway, and it was wonderful.

Are there any route maps for the Dub-Galway route.

One thing that gets me is that there is precious little publicity about many of the options mentioned in this thread. Why is it that I had to discover all about these greenways here, just by accident!

I hope there are thousands of them very soon.

No FAT TAX required, just get us out walking/cycling. What could be a better use of tax money anyway.

Thanks to all contributors. I so enjoyed reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

"Spanish wrote:

Are there any route maps for the Dub-Galway route.

The route only exists as far as Athlone, from Dublin
    There are maps on the waterways Ireland or iwai site of the section along the Royal Canal the whole length to the Shannon
    The greenway turns off the Royal canal at Mullingar, I haven't seen any detailed maps of this bit but it is the old railway line, which will be on most maps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The more Greenways in this country, the better. With running and cycling becoming very popular, it will be great to have these facilities on own doorstep.

I'm currently training for a marathon and use the Great Southern Trail from Abbeyfeale to Newcastle West on my long runs. It really is a godsend, no pollution, traffic and distractions. Surface is in good condition throughout. It's surrounded by trees/ditches on the most part and protects you from crosswinds apart from one or two embankments!

My only gripe is with the fences/gates, it can become a hindrance having to push a few to access the next section and disrupt your activity. This is seen around Newcastle West a lot. From Barna to Abbeyfeale there is nothing in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The more Greenways in this country, the better. With running and cycling becoming very popular, it will be great to have these facilities on own doorstep.

I'm currently training for a marathon and use the Great Southern Trail from Abbeyfeale to Newcastle West on my long runs. It really is a godsend, no pollution, traffic and distractions. Surface is in good condition throughout. It's surrounded by trees/ditches on the most part and protects you from crosswinds apart from one or two embankments!

My only gripe is with the fences/gates, it can become a hindrance having to push a few to access the next section and disrupt your activity. This is seen around Newcastle West a lot. From Barna to Abbeyfeale there is nothing in the way.

Loads of these gates on the Great Western Greenway as well, they're a curse. Seems to be pot luck as to which ones are open or closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Was cycling the Oldbridge Boardwalk/ greenway today, great place to bring kids especially if they want to ride their bikes, but why oh why do we always have people in this country who have to spoil things, the amount of dog s**t along the boardwalk was disgusting, while there is no dog boxes ( and to honest I don't think it would make much difference to some people) you could still pick it up, Oldbridge house have them or the park where the playground is have them, Rant over, Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Was cycling the Oldbridge Boardwalk/ greenway today, great place to bring kids especially if they want to ride their bikes, but why oh why do we always have people in this country who have to spoil things, the amount of dog s**t along the boardwalk was disgusting, while there is no dog boxes ( and to honest I don't think it would make much difference to some people) you could still pick it up, Oldbridge house have them or the park where the playground is have them, Rant over, Thanks

Some Irish people unfortunately are thoughtless and beyond inconsiderate of others: The litter on our streets, parks and countryside, graffiti, damage to property etc.
    The complete ignorance of the rules of the road from some people when they drive, cycle or walk.
    The behaviour of some people with alcohol taken, fighting, damaging property or leaving cans or beer bottles on the street. (Colleges of Ireland, I'm looking at you)

People are commending various phrases of the proclamation of independence for the last two weeks. One phrase I wish that was focused on more was "the common good"... As a people have we any civic pride?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Some Irish people unfortunately are thoughtless and beyond inconsiderate of others: The litter on our streets, parks and countryside, graffiti, damage to property etc.

Indeed...but that is hardly an "Irish" thing.

Just say "some people" and you'd not compromise the truth of your statement.

I agree completely, but this is Ireland and the "some people" who litter our beeches, damage our public property, pollute our waterways, don't recycle their waste etc are for the most part Irish people.

And the relevance of stating the fact that it is some Irish people doing this damage is that we as a society can try stop the people damaging our environment. Better education programmes, severe penalties for non compliance, nationwide schemes to better our towns, cities and countryside (tidy towns etc), name and shame Irish polluters etc

It's national spring clean month right now but it's not exactly widely advertised... Perhaps if the national media were to get involved it could become a national success story.

Perhaps some of our prison inmates should be educated on pollution and litter issues and required to participate in cleaning up the areas where the committed their crimes as part of their sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

So, while you feel that the term "Irish" compromises the truth of the statement, you do not feel the same about the term "colleges of Ireland".

garancafan wrote: »
    So, while you feel that the term "Irish" compromises the truth of the statement, you do not feel the same about the term "colleges of Ireland".

Colleges of Ireland comment may have been a little harsh but regularly I see cans and bottles at bus stops near UCD and I had the misfortune of being in Trinity last week when UCD v Trinity played each other in a rugby match. Despite the fact that there were 5 large recycling bins ten metres from where the spectators were standing the absolute filth of the place after the match. Cans of beer, broken bottles, boxes etc just left on the ground.

I bracketed colleges of Ireland because it's not really fair to blame them in anyway. Just a personal gripe of mine from the last few weeks. My target was college students rather than the colleges themselves.

Wha? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Wha? :confused:

So, while you feel that the term "Irish" compromises the truth of the statement, you do not feel the same about the phrase "colleges of Ireland".

My error. Does that make it clearer?

So, while you feel that the term "Irish" compromises the truth of the statement, you do not feel the same about the phrase "colleges of Ireland".

My error. Does that make it clearer?

No idea what you are referring to....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Back on topic please.

Anyone anything to say about greenways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Did the athlone greenway on Easter Monday from athlone to moate, I thought it was Brillant, no traffic to worry about and it was great weather on the day

Advertisement