Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proliferation of doggy bags

• 26-01-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a lot of doggy bags lately while out walking, especially since Christmas. They are on the beaches, in the woods, pretty much everywhere people walk their dogs.
    Many of these seem to have poop in them, I have even seen them tied to trees.
    What I don't understand is why do people go to the trouble of picking up their dogs poop and then leave it in a bag that will be an eyesore and a health hazard?
    These bags can take months and years to breakdown so if you use these bags can you please dispose of them properly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Horace Wimp

Have seen them hanging from trees alright m always baffled me as to the reasoning.

Maybe it's some peoples warped view of taking it out of the way??

I hate picking it up myself, but needs must. I routinely put the poo bag in a wheelie bin I pass rather than walk a mile with it in my hand. Some people probably don't like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see poo bags on my walk pretty regularly (always bring mine home with me if no bin), it's horrible what is the point in bagging poo up and dumping it on the way?!? Better just to leave it! I think banning non bio degradable bags would be a good idea as well, I don't buy the plastic types.

gmisk wrote: »
    I see poo bags on my walk pretty regularly (always bring mine home with me if no bin), it's horrible what is the point in bagging poo up and dumping it on the way?!? Better just to leave it! I think banning non bio degradable bags would be a good idea as well, I don't buy the plastic types.

I use the little green bags, it's about 6 euro for a pack with 4 rolls of them. Often wondered how long it takes for those biodegradable bags to actually biodegrade though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I never understood why someone would go through all the effort of separating a bag from the rest of the bunch. Struggle for a couple of minutes to open it, only to realise they've 3, so need to seperate 1 from that again and try to open. Hunker down, scoop it up, without sliding your hand through resulting in getting that crap on you. Then tie it up only to fling it off somewhere else.

Seems I've an easier time opening bags than you :)

Have had your described problems with non biodegradable bags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I use the little green bags, it's about 6 euro for a pack with 4 rolls of them. Often wondered how long it takes for those biodegradable bags to actually biodegrade though
    I tend to buy big order of them online.
    I think it varies but 18 months ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I don’t get the issue with just carrying it with you until you get home or find a public bin if it’s that such a problem. I don’t like seeing the baggies everywhere but it’s better than carrying dog dirt home on your shoes, bike tyres, wheelchair or prams. We live in D8 and one of the main reasons we are moving is because it’s everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JPCN1

While you can never condone littering it would help if the councils could put bins in parks but that seems to beyond their capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This is the inconvenient truth. People think dog poo is a health issue ( as opposed to rabbit poo, deer poo, fox poo etc) so it has to go in a plastic bag.

It's an environmental disaster. Putting something perfectly biodegradable into a material that wont biodegrade and will potentially kill fish and birds...every time your dog takes a s***!!!!!

It's got to stop!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Saw some old cnut trowing one into the bushes in st Anne's park last sunday , told her she was a skumbag . Horrible old bitch 2 dogs one little white one and a manky brown thing . She didn't give a **** pure ****in skum lil film the cnut next time and post her . Sick of arseholes with dogs was who don't clean up their ****

Mod note... Please see mod warning 2 posts down before replying to this post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

Saw some old cnut trowing one into the bushes in st Anne's park last sunday , told her she was a skumbag . Horrible old bitch 2 dogs one little white one and a manky brown thing . She didn't give a **** pure ****in skum lil film the cnut next time and post her . Sick of arseholes with dogs was who don't clean up their ****

You my friend would benefit from some counselling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

NasserShammaz... I almost deleted your post due to it being so crass and crude. But I'll leave it put, so that other posters can see how NOT to post in this forum.
    If you decide to post here again NasserShammaz, please opt for a cleaner and perhaps more rational style of arguing your point.
    Please do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

denismc wrote: »
    I have noticed a lot of doggy bags lately while out walking, especially since Christmas. They are on the beaches, in the woods, pretty much everywhere people walk their dogs.
    What I don't understand is why do people go to the trouble of picking up their dogs poop and then leave it in a bag that will be an eyesore and a health hazard?
    These bags can take months and years to breakdown so if you use these bags can you please dispose of them properly?

Because they are selfish self important ar**holes who think that there is always someone else around to clean up after them. Same shower would be tut tutting from inside their range rovers at travelers flytipping...

The state of public parks and walkways around Dublin are a disgrace with bagged and unbagged dog sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

What is wrong with bringing the poo home and doing what is done with poo? Flushing it down the loo! I haven't seen any sign on my toilet saying "human s#### only please ":D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Myself and one of my kids partake in a beach cleanup and this is causing a huge problem for us. We pick up what we think is a plastic bag with the litter picker and it bursts on pick up or when we try and put it in to the bag. We have to bring tissue and bottles of sanitisers after splashes of preserved, rotten dog dirt has come in to contact with skin.

I've had dogs and always managed to pick and bin, even if it meant a few kilometres to the next bin.

It's a serious health issue to people that are cleaning up after less considerate beach users. It's getting close to banning kids from the cleanup which isn't what we want.

I'd love to hear the reason people do this. Is it some sort of protest? Nastiness? Or sheer malice? When I catch someone doing it there'll be a confrontation and some serious questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

People who leave full bags in parks expect the Council to pick them up.

It's mad, really.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Myself and one of my kids partake in a beach cleanup and this is causing a huge problem for us. We pick up what we think is a plastic bag with the litter picker and it bursts on pick up or when we try and put it in to the bag. We have to bring tissue and bottles of sanitisers after splashes of preserved, rotten dog dirt has come in to contact with skin.

I've had dogs and always managed to pick and bin, even if it meant a few kilometres to the next bin.

It's a serious health issue to people that are cleaning up after less considerate beach users. It's getting close to banning kids from the cleanup which isn't what we want.

I'd love to hear the reason people do this. Is it some sort of protest? Nastiness? Or sheer malice? When I catch someone doing it there'll be a confrontation and some serious questions.

I think it's people picking up their dog poop for 'show'. It's a very sensitive issue (understandably) and you can often feel the eyes of the park/beach/street on you when your dog is pooping! I think some people deal with that by picking it up for all to see and then the minute they're alone fecking it into the closest ditch etc.

Really , really annoys me but that's the only explanation I can think of.

I think it's people picking up their dog poop for 'show'. It's a very sensitive issue (understandably) and you can often feel the eyes of the park/beach/street on you when your dog is pooping! I think some people deal with that by picking it up for all to see and then the minute they're alone fecking it into the closest ditch etc.

Right, your post makes sense. Laziness and selfishness prevails. If I catch anyone doing it they'll be taking repossession of the bag. Voluntarily or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,756 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

em_cat wrote: »
    I don’t get the issue with just carrying it with you until you get home or find a public bin if it’s that such a problem. I don’t like seeing the baggies everywhere but it’s better than carrying dog dirt home on your shoes, bike tyres, wheelchair or prams. We live in D8 and one of the main reasons we are moving is because it’s everywhere.
    I live in D8, but have family and do a lot of walking in D6/4 - and it's ten times worse there!

They're clearly far too posh to clean up poop in the richer areas :(

But seriously, it's a huge problem all over and I have to admit to being conflicted between poo on the path which at least will be gone in a few days/weeks, or in a plastic bag with a half life of about 500 years but at least it won't wind up on the sole of my shoe....

Bring the fecking bag home with ya, people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's brutal. I remember tearing up with frustration when I had a newborn out in a pram, brought her home, exhausted and hormonal, and realised the wheel was covered in it. Rolled dog poo right into the house, and my toddler was now crawling in it. Stuck in all the crevices on the wheel. ARG.

What the actual heck is wrong with people who do this? All the handicapped people who get it on their canes or wheelchairs. Just awful.

I have a dog myself, just pick it up, bag it and bin it. Not difficult!

I have yet to meet someone who admits to it, so who is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I live in D8, but have family and do a lot of walking in D6/4 - and it's ten times worse there!

They're clearly far too posh to clean up poop in the richer areas :(

But seriously, it's a huge problem all over and I have to admit to being conflicted between poo on the path which at least will be gone in a few days/weeks, or in a plastic bag with a half life of about 500 years but at least it won't wind up on the sole of my shoe....

Bring the fecking bag home with ya, people!

Yeah take the leisurely hike up to the Hell fire club... Each step requires dodging dog crap. And last time I was there I counted about 5 plastic bags with crap in it at the gate of the car park. So they brought it down with them and decided that they were too good to have their own dog's crap with them in the car so just left it there.

Dirtbags.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you are trying to get this message to the people that do this I can tell you that your posting it in completely the wrong place. The people that post in this forum care deeply about their pets and in the vast majority of cases take full responsibility for their dogs and clean up after them properly.

If you are trying to get this message to the people that do this I can tell you that your posting it in completely the wrong place. The people that post in this forum care deeply about their pets and in the vast majority of cases take full responsibility for their dogs and clean up after them properly.

Yeah. Preaching to the converted here I guess. The only way is to catch them in the act and tackle them head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭denismc

Yeah, I wasn't sure where to post this but if only a handful of people read this and change their behaviour it will be worth it.
    I think what a lot of people don't realise is a lot of biodegradable bags can take months to breakdown,
    I used to buy the green ones and put them in my composter but they would be still fully intact at the end of the year.
    Cornstarch bags seem to be the best but even they can take months to breakdown.
    There is a brand of doggy bag that is popular with councils in Cork that are designed to be incinerated and are not compostable at all.

Yeah, I wasn't sure where to post this but if only a handful of people read this and change their behaviour it will be worth it.
    I think what a lot of people don't realise is a lot of biodegradable bags can take months to breakdown,
    I used to buy the green ones and put them in my composter but they would be still fully intact at the end of the year.
    Cornstarch bags seem to be the best but even they can take months to breakdown.
    There is a brand of doggy bag that is popular with councils in Cork that are designed to be incinerated and are not compostable at all.

Months would be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,135 ✭✭✭✭noodler

None of the biodegradable points matter.

I don't personally believe anyone dumps these with **** in them because they expect them to "biodegrade" in a short space of time.

It's sheer laziness and a sense of "oh, I've done enough".

This is it exactly. In our local park there's very little left around the spots that are open enough where people can see you. There is a spot in one of the corners where you are covered/blocked from view by a few trees and bushes for a few seconds as you walk the loop. That corner is full of blue,black, green and beige bags of crap like some sort of perverse Christmas presents

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I twice saw dog excrement in bags sitting on a small wall in our estate. The mind boggles a child could easily investigate that and get on hands. I will never understand people who do this. Very very unfair on the rest of the community. Very selfish act.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This thread reminds me of a sign I saw in Cornwall ...

2014-09-12-09-51-35.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This is the inconvenient truth. People think dog poo is a health issue ( as opposed to rabbit poo, deer poo, fox poo etc) so it has to go in a plastic bag.

It's an environmental disaster. Putting something perfectly biodegradable into a material that wont biodegrade and will potentially kill fish and birds...every time your dog takes a s***!!!!!

It's got to stop!

Just to back up a minute here, dog poo absolutely is a health issue, dog faeces can contain a host of bacteria and transmittable diseases. E Coli being one of the worst possible issues.

So yeah, in public places, bag it up and bin it properly.

Advertisement