Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

lucky john wrote: »
    I wounder are S&P tracking funds buying in early? it's inevitable TSLA will be listed by year end and they might fear shares will be harder to come by then.

Are ETFs allowed to buy early though? I would guess no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

unkel wrote: »
    That's behind a pay wall. Would you be so kind to summarise the article?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/01/14/as-tesla-stock-skyrockets-elon-musk-looks-set-for-346-million-payday/#22d9d5fa1316

That wall wasn't there when I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Anybody following this thread over on Askaboutmoney? Guy with a big short on Tesla from a few months back, he provides regular updates, its starting to eat into his portfolio now:

https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/the-perils-of-shorting-a-real-life-example.215011/

The market cap of Ford and GM combined, most valuable automaker in US history now.
    The man himself has jumped in with a short of his own now, entertaining!

(Thats Brendan Burgess founder of Askaboutmoney btw, probably not very entertaining if you dont use that forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

The man himself has jumped in with a short of his own now, entertaining!

(Thats Brendan Burgess founder of Askaboutmoney btw, probably not very entertaining if you dont use that forum)

Following it since the link was posted here. I never short companies because sitting around waiting for a company to fail or do badly doesn't sit well with my mentality. Just to negative. What is very interesting over there is the fact that almost every poster begins with "I don't know much about Tesla but..."
    that applies to BB as well. His gamble is based on believing the negative agenda constantly put out about Tesla and especially about Musk. I don't see any effort to actually dig into the company and form an investment opinion on the future of Tesla. Total uninformed gamble.

https://www.teslaincanada.ca/model-y/tesla-model-y-deliveries-to-begin-in-2-weeks-rumour/

Almost a year ahead of schedule if true. Are they aiming for deliveries starting on the 29th, same day as FY19 results i wounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Has anyone looked at the alternative to batteries stock such as ballard power system. Its on a nice run of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Tango One wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at the alternative to batteries stock such as ballard power system. Its on a nice run of late.

How much does it cost to produce these alternatives vs lithium? surely their a long way out yet, wouldn't it be easier to stick using lithium for the time being? what type of time frame are we talking about here before any introductions/major changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

JMMCapital wrote: »
    How much does it cost to produce these alternatives vs lithium? surely their a long way out yet, wouldn't it be easier to stick using lithium for the time being? what type of time frame are we talking about here before any introductions/major changes?

It's does look like hydrogen is behind lithium at present. I think it will have a place in the commercial world.

Interesting link below. Might have a few answers for you.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/11/hydrogen-fuel-cell-battery-electric-vehicles-technology-rundown/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I only got in at 509 but already have made a tidy gain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Timmaay wrote: »
    I only got in at 509 but already have made a tidy gain!

cc: @bagholderquotes

• Advertisement

Have Tesla new battery tec? link should bring you to a twitter account with claims by Maxwell (Tesla Owned) that they have made a big breakthrough.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO12QXHVUAUFHeb?format=jpg&name=small

600 incoming, sold mine @ 320 ages ago :mad:

Word is that Model Y delivers to start in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are Tesla going to only going to use their battery tech for Tesla cars ( and power walls ) or are they likely to licence it out ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are Tesla going to only going to use their battery tech for Tesla cars ( and power walls ) or are they likely to licence it out ?

Is theirs better?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,676 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There's nothing to license out, is there? They make cells like everyone else (although because of the in house building and the economies of scale, they have a slight edge in terms of cost) and the main difference is that they build them safer and cool them better than others. With old skool techniques.

Markcheese wrote: »

Tesla's battery technology and drive train is the best out there and continuously moving further ahead of the competition. It would be crazy to do it but some analysts have a future SP target based on Tesla manufacturing and selling the drive train to other auto companies.

Tesla can very well add value to the drive train themselves without any need to be selling one of their best asserts. However, for the competition it would be a great idea. Take Ford. They are refusing to invest in any battery manufacturing because they believe the goal posts will move so fast they could be left with an obsolete factory before the paint is dry on the walls. That's the kind of commitment to EVs that has let Tesla gain such an advantage on them.

It's possible some analysts have looked at the deal Tesla and Fiat have done in Europe on fleet pooling (Co2 related) and read to much into it.

Tesla on a reasonable bull run again today, will be interesting what tonights Q4 profit figures bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

$620 in after-hours trading. Mother of divine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Wow.

Fair play bulls.

Still don’t like the market cap compared to the high output manufacturers however.

Elon is some man.

$655 now after hours, the big selloff people are waiting for might not come until $1000!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

$655 now after hours, the big selloff people are waiting for might not come until $1000!

Some guy on WSB bought $635 7/Feb calls with $1000 he didn't have (Some kind of direct deposit thing on Robinhood) and sold them before earnings for $1,025. It's worth about $70k now apparently..
    https://imgur.com/gallery/je0BjTc

cefh17 wrote: »
    Some guy on WSB bought $635 7/Feb calls with $1000 he didn't have (Some kind of direct deposit thing on Robinhood) and sold them before earnings for $1,025. It's worth about $70k now apparently..
    Wallstreetbets is hilarious these days.

The penny may finally be dropping for the haters. This kind of result was on the cards for a while. this time next year will be the big one though. No intention of selling until then. Up 12% after hours is a bit of an over reaction though. call should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Wallstreetbets is hilarious these days.

The gif movies are just the icing on the cake haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Unbelievable, I'm a sucker for being a non-believer and not getting on board but again well done to all who are making a mint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

cefh17 wrote: »

What is this exactly?

I got 22 individual shares/investments in my Degiro account, 21 of them down today, but Tesla at a new high of 650.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

lucky john wrote: »
    The penny may finally be dropping for the haters. This kind of result was on the cards for a while. this time next year will be the big one though. No intention of selling until then. Up 12% after hours is a bit of an over reaction though. call should be interesting

What in the 10Q makes you think this was a good quarter? GAAP loss for the year of 700m or so, decline in Capex and R and D, dodgy non explanation of FCF numbers I’m curious as to what you see in the numbers that justifies the algos/ retail baggies/ CCP blowing this bubble up the way they are.

I’ve covered to mitigate overall risk to portfolio and took a hammering but my advice to anyone in TSLA, either long or short would be to trade VERY carefully. The minute the institutions decide to step in and pull the rug, it’ll be scary.

I’ll be very interested to read the fully audited K when it’s released

Advertisement