Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Garcia v Luke Campbell Fight Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lovely shot by Campbell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Come on Campbell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

This lad is no De La Hoya. Being so flat footed seems to be his gimmick too ala Naseem Hamad.

We know what happens when you move up the levels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Campbell doing a lot of good body work that's going unmentioned.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Campbell doing a lot of good body work that's going unmentioned.

Interesting to see if Garcia has energy to throw same shapes in latter rounds

Dazn commentary is horrendous

• Advertisement

Garcia starting to get on top now.

Garcia is a bizarre fighter. Lots of shapes, his offence is all over the shop. Did he take up boxing late? He like a small Deontay Wilder in ways. Full of aggression but not a lot of quality.

Haney would beat him with ease.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Garcia is a bizarre fighter. Lots of shapes, his offence is all over the shop. Did he take up boxing late? He like a small Deontay Wilder in ways.

He’s impressing me in some ways, doing very well after being knocked down but yeah he seems like he still has an awful lot to learn. I suppose he’s only 22 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

This Dazn commentary is ridiculously biased..

Jubilant scenes jaysus.

They really want this lad to be the real deal.

• Advertisement

Not convinced by Garcia at all, he goes to sleep if he fights anyone heavy handed.

The commentators calling for teo & Davis fights haha

That was an impressive response after the knockdown in fairness to Garcia. Lovely finishing shot. Really needs to add some head movement to his game though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

DAZN are right up there with Sky Sports for hype!

Cracking bodyshot all the same

Good win in the end to be fair. Will have learned an awful lot from that fight. Cracking body shot.

On a side note

America has nearly 1/4 of the world's covid cases and yet they still allow fans in an indoor arena .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Garcia is very crude.
    I think if Campbell was a bit more composed himself he would have got him out of there.

Commentators are definitely hard to listen to though, there were seeing very little of Campbell's work barring the knockdown and hyping Garcai's wild misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Will watch it tomorrow..

What round it stopped?

He will make a fortune if went the route of early Mayweather/Hamed where people pay to see him get KO'd.

And he fights some tomato cans of course.

Something very annoying about his leaping about

walshb wrote: »
    Will watch it tomorrow..

What round it stopped?

7th round. It was an enjoyable watch, Garcia still looks very green and not ready for the big fights yet but an impressive win after being dropped in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

ianob7 wrote: »
    On a side note

America has nearly 1/4 of the world's covid cases and yet they still allow fans in an indoor arena .....

Oh, no getting away from the C word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Johner wrote: »
    7th round. It was an enjoyable watch, Garcia still looks very green and not ready for the big fights yet but an impressive win after being dropped in the second.

Yes..

Campbell is a decent win, but nothing approaching great..

If Garcia has any sense at all he will stay away from Tank as long as possible.

It's a deadly division alot of quality fighters

nocoverart wrote:
    Oh, no getting away from the C word.

My bad for the slight derailment..

Just a bit perplexed is all..

Don't think Garcia is ready for the big hitters yet

ASOT wrote: »
    If Garcia has any sense at all he will stay away from Tank as long as possible.

Haney schools him too, get the impression from that interview he's not as keen on that fight.

Lopez didn't get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

My takes from tonight:

DAZN commentary is brutal and needs a serious upgrade.
    Garcia had some flashy punches there but he got clipped.
    Campbell did a good job but he looked awkward too.
    Garcia needs a lot of work before he goes up a level again, I'd expect to see him have 2 or 3 gimmes now, maybe more, he's 22 and has all the time in the world.

His post interview is not endearing me to him at all. Too Mayweather/Broner for my liking, in fact I could see me finding him very unlikeable in another fight or two.

Hypejob? Probably not.
    Second coming of DLH? Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Blanco100 wrote: »
    He will make a fortune if went the route of early Mayweather/Hamed where people pay to see him get KO'd.

And he fights some tomato cans of course.

Something very annoying about his leaping about

While I know you're alluding to playing the heel, he's certainly more Hamed than Mayweather ability wise.

He'll freeze lesser level guys with his handspeed, but for those who can read/time a guy and are happy to throw back under pressure, he's there to be clipped.
    He was hurt by Luke Campbell tonight too, not a great sign for how he'd cope if hes caught by a puncher.

Big Ears wrote: »
    While I know you're alluding to playing the heel, he's certainly more Hamed than Mayweather ability wise.

He'll freeze lesser level guys with his handspeed, but for those who can read/time a guy and are happy to throw back under pressure, he's there to be clipped.
    He was hurt by Luke Campbell tonight too, not a great sign for how he'd cope if hes caught by a puncher.

Amen to that. Hes ripe to get Barrera'd

I think the other guys in the division would be wise to allow the hype to build to fever pitch before taking him on. Might not be as much money in beating him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, he's a decent fighter to watch I think, but his defensive game seemed severely lacking for a fight against Teofimo, Haney, Loma or Tank. Like if Teofimo hits him like Campbell did, the fight is over very early. If he can develop those defensive skills, he could be dangerous but as of now, he's better off avoiding fights against those 4 and picking guys around the top 10 with a name like Linares or Selby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Good win for Garcia and a great win for boxing but he'll get destroyed by Teo or Tank realistically. Garcia just far too too upright and far too hittable to hang with the bigger hitters. I'd be targeting Haney who he definitely has a clearer avenue to beating imo. Division is red hot though.

Advertisement