Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

147/1 - Snooker Betting Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

It was nice while it lasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Genghis wrote: »
    It was nice while it lasted!

Ah, read it wrong. Thought it was for 6 centuries or more. Very unlucky but a good run all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

World Championship outright bets:

I think Judd may do it, but his odds are too short for me so I'm going with the following 2:

Selby to win 15/2
    Wilson e/w 20/1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A few, ahem, speculative punts:

Williams and Yan Bingtao outright
    Gould to win Q4
    and qf treble of Trump/Higgins/Robertson

First Round World Championship starts today :)

Best of 19 = First to 10..... Proper Snooker :p

Gonna go with the # in-form players

#The ones that have had recent matches ie the qualifiers

Martin Gould 13/8 to beat Yan
    Jamie Jones 6/4 to beat Stevie
    Chris Wakelin 2/1 to beat Dave

Treble and 3 doubles as well.

Also did Wakelin (-2.5) @ 18/5 , and (-3.5) @ 5/1. Thinking Gilbert might be cold, having not had a competitive match in a few weeks, and was beat by Williams 3-1 in his last match in the Ch. League at end of March.

All those matches are on today. Looking at the rest of the matchups; they either look like (to me anyway :pac:) coin-tosses, or foregone conclusions.

I wouldn't mind taking on Shaun Murphy in his first round encounter, but he's playing Mark Davis; who would have no right to beat even a hit-or-miss Murphy.

Similarly; another 2 players With a "Murphy-esque" profile ie 'undependable' (opposable against lesser ranked types) in Bingham and Ding, play each other, so nothing there with them both odds-on, with Ding the marginal fav.

The other one at this stage who appeals; in keeping with me backing one who's clearly odds against, is Gary, in the 'Battle of the Wilsons'

So outside of today's first round matches, just the one other 'match-bet' (have backed Ron and Bazza outright) game for me.

Gary Wilson to beat Kyren Wilson 23/10
    Gary (-2.5) 4/1

Good luck, and hopefully be a good comp... Even better if all the games are viewable - hopefully there's a 'red button' in operation, as I don't have any apps or players for Eurosport, or the Beeb.

• Advertisement

The big 3 in the betting obviously are the front rank contenders but no fun betting them.

Two for a hopeful spin are MJW and Ali Carter, taken 70 and 100 on exchange respectively, lock in some profit by qf stage if lucky!

McGill looks too big to beat walden in R1. Maflin price v selby is very generous and think wakelin and Lyu Haotian have good chances of upsets too.

See they've set the total tournament centuries line at 85.5. Will see how tables are playing this morning but i fancy that will be beaten.

Love the WC!

My heart is with Ronnie, I think he has a very good chance of winning, I think he has managed his season to be ready for this, and I think he really wants it (for GOATness / future legacy credentials).

I think Trump can easily do it with his talent but I think he is always vulnerable to a shock.

Neither above great value, but 5/1 they play each other in final.

Beyond those two I think Robbo is in great form and really he is overdue another WC. Think his Dad is in UK, big boost for him, think he had his Mum there when he won his first.

Long shot for me is Mark Allen. Been suspiciously quiet, may be jigged on by Jordan Browns win, has a tough quarter but if he wins through to semi he will be very much match fit.

Finally, for fun I like the century in every match bet. Bogey match in R1 is definitely Gilbert / Wakelin, maybe Maguire / Joyce. Hoping that as long as there is one century in each of them, the bet is more secure.

So I went with €5 on each of below, €10 on the century in every match.

Trump O'Sullivan final 5/1
    Robinson to win 5/1
    Mark Allen to win 22/1
    Century in every match 9/1

Had a look at the ton every match bet. It's a good fun bet, though seems to get shorter every year. Remember it was 33/1 a couple of years back. Hawkins matches killed it both of past two years iirc.

Genghis wrote: »

Long shot for me is Mark Allen. Been suspiciously quiet, may be jigged on by Jordan Browns win, has a tough quarter but if he wins through to semi he will be very much match fit.

Wonder could you get odds on a Mark champion, three of them in Q2 alone:p
    Would probably all turn out to be no-marks if I did the bet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

I dont think Mark Allen has the temperament to ever win a WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Threw a small bet on Selby at 8/1
    But usually i'll see how things pan out and pick someone else from the 1/4 finals

Did a treble
    Bingham 11/10
    Selt +2.5 10/11
    Carter Evs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I fancy Higgins for a bet!

Neil Robertson (v Wenbo) Highest break 3/10
    Gilbert v Wakelin Over 11.5 50+ breaks 11/10
    Jamie Jones (+2.5) 4/6

Treble pays 7/2 ish...

Think 11/10 is very big for the 'Overs' (11.5) for the 50+ breaks in the Gilbert/Wakelin match.... Think it'd be big in any best of 19 match; let alone where 'the handicap' is 2.5 frames.....

Neil Robertson (v Wenbo) Highest break 3/10
    Gilbert v Wakelin Over 11.5 50+ breaks 11/10
    Jamie Jones (+2.5) 4/6

Treble pays 7/2 ish...

Think 11/10 is very big for the 'Overs' (11.5) for the 50+ breaks in the Gilbert/Wakelin match.... Think it'd be big in any best of 19 match; let alone where 'the handicap' is 2.5 frames.....

Down the Swannee in the first match of the three to finish - just the eleven 50+ breaks in Gilbert match...

Looks like the century in every match bet may come unstuck with the Maguire / Jones match. Maguire can't string four pots together, Jones seems content to get to snookers required stage but no further.

A few, ahem, speculative punts:

Williams and Yan Bingtao outright
    Gould to win Q4
    and qf treble of Trump/Higgins/Robertson

Also throwing my money away on

Lisowski to reach final
    Selby-Wilson final
    qf acca of Ronnie/Trump/Allen/Hawkins

Just done Tian @ 4/1. 8-7 down atm

Ali Carter 6/4 bet in running... 5-4 down against Jack..

Think it's a decent price myself.

2nd Rnd treble of Barry Hawkins 11/10 , Mark Williams 6/4 , and Jamie Jones 2/1.... Pays about 15/1...

Also did them single (-2.5) Barry 19/10 , MJW 13/5 , JJ 10/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

2nd Rnd treble of Barry Hawkins 11/10 , Mark Williams 6/4 , and Jamie Jones 2/1.... Pays about 15/1...

Also did them single (-2.5) Barry 19/10 , MJW 13/5 , JJ 10/3.

Suprised Williams is 6 to 4 . It’s a pure toss of a coin job for me . I think Bingham beats Jones to be honest . I also think Wilson beats Hawkins and bingtao beats Murphy . 20 accum on them 4 for me. Near enough 10s .

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    Suprised Williams is 6 to 4 . It’s a pure toss of a coin job for me . I think Bingham beats Jones to be honest . I also think Wilson beats Hawkins and bingtao beats Murphy . 20 accum on them 4 for me. Near enough 10s .

*Just checked the current odds there.... I fancy Williams myself, as I like the way he's been playing recently.... I don't think Wilson or Bingham are exactly unopposable, so going for price/value with the other two..

*Williams was 6/4 - would have made him about a 6/5 shot myself... I see he's into 13/10 now with Spoyles

Done Ron at 9/1 for WC. 7/4 to win this 2nd round v McGill @ 8-4 down. Went looking; hoping for 2s, but no; so gone outright 2 places.

Yan currently down 10-6 .... Took 6/4 on him (+3.5) . Hoping he'll get to within three of Murph.

^^^^

No joy there :P

16/1 Murphy looks too big outright. On ew 1/2 1-2 at a generous price.

WC QF McGill v Bingham

Think Anthony will prevail here. McGill (-1.5) 8/5
    Ballrun to get a maxi 25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

WC QF McGill v Bingham

Think Anthony will prevail here. McGill (-1.5) 8/5
    Ballrun to get a maxi 25/1

I think this will be tight . Too hard to call for me . Backed over 22.5 at 11 to 10 .

Williams outright
    Selby-Wilson final

These two still hanging in there...
    Topping up with a Robertson-McGill final

WC QFs

I can almost hear Fouldsy say It's been a mad year, so I guess this has been completely in keeping.. :pac: in anticipation of a few shocks. So I've done three of the outsiders to win (-3.5) and 3 doubles; as well as a 'cheeky' treble :p

Outsiders:

(-3.5) - McGill (v Ballrun) 14/5, Wilson (v Robbo) 9/2, Williams (v the Leicester City fan :D) 4/1.

I reckon that after this stage there'll not be much 'shock' potential, and I like backing outsiders :)

^^^^

No joy there :P

16/1 Murphy looks too big outright. On ew 1/2 1-2 at a generous price.

Topped up on Shaun @ 18/1 just as he got 3-2 ahead against Trump... An insult imo...

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    I think this will be tight . Too hard to call for me . Backed over 22.5 at 11 to 10 .

Hose him down :)

Winner alright.. WD

Advertisement