Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well

The actual boxers themselves need to take a look and take responsibility...

It's a team effort all this....

Sky and BT and these so called reputable companies I feel are going to have to act/change.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

walshb wrote: »
    Well

The actual boxers themselves need to take a look and take responsibility...

It's a team effort all this....

Sky and BT and these so called reputable companies I feel are going to have to act/change.

I agree but we all know that won't happen, bar a select few (quigley, Katie).

Every boxer signed with them especially here knows where the money comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

used to think bjs was funny but he has majorly crossed the line here.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    used to think bjs was funny but he has majorly crossed the line here.

That chap was never remotely funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What did BJS say?

• Advertisement

The amount of z list fighters coming out to defend kinahan is priceless.

Derry Matthews is the latest, who no doubt gets a pittance wage from Kinahan to play at being a coach over in MTK.

Some of those lads are so thankful not be working the doors of nightclubs they will kiss serious hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think in retrospect, McGuigan was a poor choice for the programme. His recent dealings with Frampton have painted him in a very bad light for me anyway, especially as it was done to him in his own boxing career!

He was obviously the only one to speak up and fair play to him for doing so. There was nothing he said I disagreed with and he was 100% correct. However, the recent scandal with him just diminished the effectiveness of his words for me although maybe not for casual boxing fans / viewers.

What has happened since has been vile to say the least but not surprising. There are really horrible people on that roster. It's sad to see so many quality Irish boxers, who I would have respected and supported previously take the dirty money.

A couple of years ago I questioned whether these people in boxing were being intimidated themselves into signing up but I'm not so sure now.

Agree with previous posters, this MTK thing has dampened by own love for the sport majorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

That chap was never remotely funny!

Did think this interaction with Gordon Ramsey was funny tbh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3x4zIZtKbI

rebelomar wrote: »
    I think in retrospect, McGuigan was a poor choice for the programme. His recent dealings with Frampton have painted him in a very bad light for me anyway, especially as it was done to him in his own boxing career!

He was obviously the only one to speak up and fair play to him for doing so. There was nothing he said I disagreed with and he was 100% correct. However, the recent scandal with him just diminished the effectiveness of his words for me although maybe not for casual boxing fans / viewers.

What has happened since has been vile to say the least but not surprising. There are really horrible people on that roster. It's sad to see so many quality Irish boxers, who I would have respected and supported previously take the dirty money.

A couple of years ago I questioned whether these people in boxing were being intimidated themselves into signing up but I'm not so sure now.

Agree with previous posters, this MTK thing has dampened by own love for the sport majorly.

Not having a pop but what quality Irish boxers are you referring to? Don't actually think (apart from Frampton) that there are any quality Irish fighters at present.

Some really average fighters are being paid way above market rate to sign with these crooks. Most of them don't like that summation as they are worth every penny in their own eyes.

Even if some of them had the brain to shut up and take the money, but it's the morons that come out and defend kinahan on Twitter that I laugh at like he's their best mate. Maybe they think they will get another €100 in their Christmas bonus or something ðŸ˜

They will always say he's good for boxing because he props up dead industry and everyone gets paid. Thinking about it, 99% of his fighters are cannon fodder at world level.

On a side note, we always hear that he has been named in court as the leader of a cartel, what does this even mean? A judge made a passing comment as an opinion? It was a cack handed workaround to allow them name him in the papers without fear of libel whilst they sort something else out. And it can be perfectly debuted every time.

The guards would want to get off their arse and find some proper evidence. They can put away foot soldiers all they want, but it won't make a blind bit of difference.

They should be following the money, not new money, old money.

I was waiting for someone else to say it:

but apart from a past his best Frampton, I see nothing at all special in the list of Irish fighters with MTK. They are pretty much nobodies..

And Frampton is more British than Irish anyway..

• Advertisement

I was waiting for someone else to say it:

but apart from a past his best Frampton, I see nothing at all special in the list of Irish fighters with MTK. They are pretty much nobodies..

And Frampton is more British than Irish anyway..
    Frampton defo doesn't class himself as Irish I've never understood the clamour to claim him. Go to his fights, you know clear as day he's not Irish by majority of his fans !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Did think this interaction with Gordon Ramsey was funny tbh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3x4zIZtKbI

Without the pain of clicking on that link it is apt that he teamed up with that clown. Two of the biggest ballbags in human history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Frampton defo doesn't class himself as Irish I've never understood the clamour to claim him. Go to his fights, you know clear as day he's not Irish by majority of his fans !

Wrong.

He has on many occasion and if you went to his fights anywhere you would see a great mix of Irish, actual brits and loyalists.

Born on the island of Ireland so he is Irish. Born in the "six counties" so he can also claim to be a brit.

Been to a few here and in Manchester. Not for me, especially Manchester

And he's northern Irish, he makes a clear distinction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Been to a few here and in Manchester. Not for me, especially Manchester

And he's northern Irish, he makes a clear distinction

Frampton is pretty much all inclusive.
    If someone forced him to define his nationality he likely would indeed say Northern Irish but he was proud and happy to box for Ireland as an amateur.
    He'd have no qualms about someone referring to him as either British or Irish, and he's probably the only person I've ever known to be seen wearing both an Antrim Gaa jersey and a Rangers top.

That's how Frampton himself wants to be viewed.
    Anyone trying to pidgeonhole him into being strictly one thing and not the others is being disengenous.

Although I know one of Walshb's passtimes is telling us which fighters aren't Irish, along with which Irish fighters are actually rubbish :p

Big Ears wrote: »
    Frampton is pretty much all inclusive.
    If someone forced him to define his nationality he likely would indeed say Northern Irish but he was proud and happy to box for Ireland as an amateur.
    He'd have no qualms about someone referring to him as either British or Irish, and he's probably the only person I've ever known to be seen wearing both an Antrim Gaa jersey and a Rangers top.

That's how Frampton himself wants to be viewed.
    Anyone trying to pidgeonhole him into being strictly one thing and not the others is being disengenous.

Although I know one of Walshb's passtimes is telling us which fighters aren't Irish, along with which Irish fighters are actually rubbish :p

I am well aware Carl has ties to Irish and British...

But he is probably more British aligned. That’s all I said.

And that is fine.

I couldn’t care where boxers are from. I assess them solely as boxers on their ring talents and performances...

Outside ring activities is separate. The latest chat relates to boxers associating with MTK.

And he is far from rubbish...

Some of the others, well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Morrison J wrote: »

You'd imagine Frank Warren or the saurlands would try and get in there.

Sky will need something competitive to show on Saturday nights, at the moment they don't have anything else worth while watching, and certainly not live anyway.

You'd imagine Frank Warren or the saurlands would try and get in there.

Sky will need something competitive to show on Saturday nights, at the moment they don't have anything else worth while watching, and certainly not live anyway.

Always thought the master plan would be to take MTK's dates but would be surprised if Sky went that route now with everything MTK out in the open. I reckon that Wasserman Boxing set up by the Sauerlands will be the one alright.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Always thought the master plan would be to take MTK's dates but would be surprised if Sky went that route now with everything MTK out in the open. I reckon that Wasserman Boxing set up by the Sauerlands will be the one alright.

I wonder will sky throw their toys out of the pram and get rid of all the other matchroom shows, as in the darts, pool, snooker etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It goes to show how expensive keeping the premier league is

in past 5 years sky have lost Champions League and Wrestling and now Boxing.

They are flogging a dead horse.

I think it will be the Sauerlands and his fighters. then constant repeats of AJ and whytes fights (the only 2 to be exclusively with sky)

so the €2 per month for Dazn will now be over €20 id say (and probably pay for PPV in top of that) (didn't read article so not sure if its mentioned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Great fight between Joe Smith Jnr. and Maxim Vlasov.

I scored it as a draw myself.

Could Joe Smith Jnr. have a chance against Beterbiev? He has a lot of heart so I think so, although the Russian is favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Butson

fitzparker wrote: »
    It goes to show how expensive keeping the premier league is

in past 5 years sky have lost Champions League and Wrestling and now Boxing.

They are flogging a dead horse.

I think it will be the Sauerlands and his fighters. then constant repeats of AJ and whytes fights (the only 2 to be exclusively with sky)

so the €2 per month for Dazn will now be over €20 id say (and probably pay for PPV in top of that) (didn't read article so not sure if its mentioned)

It wont be anywhere near €20 for just boxing. I used to work in this area and can tell you that 75% of Skys costs would be football related. When I say costs I mean buying the rights and production of same.
    Everything else is then bundled into the other 25%. They would spend way more on the likes of Golf then (dedicated channel), cricket (dedicated channel), Formula 1 and now increasingly popular sports like NFL than boxing. Hence why we now see so many Pay Per Views. Sky were unwilling to invest in the sport, so that's why you have the likes of Chisora v Parker headlining a pay per view show next week.
    You could easily run a top class boxing only service, with no pay per views, charging customers €5 a month.

Butson wrote: »
    It wont be anywhere near €20 for just boxing. I used to work in this area and can tell you that 75% of Skys costs would be football related. When I say costs I mean buying the rights and production of same.
    Everything else is then bundled into the other 25%. They would spend way more on the likes of Golf then (dedicated channel), cricket (dedicated channel), Formula 1 and now increasingly popular sports like NFL than boxing. Hence why we now see so many Pay Per Views. Sky were unwilling to invest in the sport, so that's why you have the likes of Chisora v Parker headlining a pay per view show next week.
    You could easily run a top class boxing only service, with no pay per views, charging customers €5 a month.

They're going to have a crack at getting Premier League rights and if they do, it'll definitely be above €20 per month.

I would expect them to pick up some other sporting rights regardless and push the product price up quite a bit. But without domestic football, or at the very least some Rugby rights, €20 a month would be a hard sell.

So if you're a boxing fan and not interested in football, you'll hope they don't manage to acquire those rights !

DAZN is $20 a month in the US or you can spend $100 for the year. Easier sell over there though given a single PPV is usually not far off $100. Will be interesting to see how they manage the pricing here. If they get PL rights then I think a similar pricing structure to the US is definitely a possibility.

I cant see how boxing fans would lament the loss of Sky though?

Jesus, even their pay per view shows are packed with ad breaks and sponsors. Pure greed.

Butson wrote: »
    I cant see how boxing fans would lament the loss of Sky though?

Jesus, even their pay per view shows are packed with ad breaks and sponsors. Pure greed.

From a cost perspective it'll certainly be better.
    But if you talk about it being a niche sport already, imagine what'll be like if they don't get footballer coverage.
    Tucked away on a subscription service that nobody will ever hear about.

Sky for all their faults are good at building a product and gaining followers, including boxing.
    No one who isn't already into boxing will know fights are taking place unless DAZN becomes a big deal for other sports coverage.

So Dazn is basically boxnation, only with matchroom instead of frank Warren....

I can't help but feel it'll be doomed to be honest

So Dazn is basically boxnation, only with matchroom instead of frank Warren....

I can't help but feel it'll be doomed to be honest

It's probably somewhat different from the perspective that DAZN is in a lot of countries now, and in many of those countries they've quite a bit more going on than just boxing.
    For example in Italy they've some of the Serie A rights.

Matchroom also have become more global, with shows and fighters in the UK, US, Italy and Spain.
    DAZN can do one deal with them then for exclusive coverage to fights from all 4 countries and the only extra cost DAZN have is commentators for the local country it's being streamed to and maybe a small bit of extra producing.

Where as Boxnation was essentially a platform for Frank Warren's UK shows, but all the stuff outside the UK the channel had to purchase the rights.
    It's a model more likely to succeed imo.

• Advertisement

Box Nation / Premier Sports have picked up Andy Ruiz v Chris Arreloa next weekend.

It's PPV in the States.

Advertisement