Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N70 - Milltown bypass

Options
  • 31-03-2018 8:09pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In response to successfully bypassing most of County Kerry in the last few years (Castleisland, Tralee, Kenmare, Dingle and soon Listowel), Kerry County Council have a Milltown bypass in their County Development Plan. The scheme would be quite simple and would involve a short single carraigeway link from the N70 south of Milltown (where a 4km upgrade is currently ongoing which will provide a decent road most of the way to Killorglin) to the N70 between Milltown and Castlemaine, potentially bypassing the dangerous Heffernan's bend between the towns. The one flaw with a western link is the lack of connection to the R563 Killarney Road although this could be built seperately.

The N70 is the main route between Killorglin and West Kerry and every other part of the country besides Killarney and Cork through Milltown and is a busy commuter route both to and from Tralee and to the many industrial units in Killorglin.

Planning hasn't even started yet and there are objections:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/proposal-construct-bypass-around-mid-kerry-village-will-met-strong-opposition/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

marno21 wrote: »
    In response to successfully bypassing most of County Kerry in the last few years (Castleisland, Tralee, Kenmare, Dingle and soon Listowel), Kerry County Council have a Milltown bypass in their County Development Plan. The scheme would be quite simple and would involve a short single carraigeway link from the N70 south of Milltown (where a 4km upgrade is currently ongoing which will provide a decent road most of the way to Killorglin) to the N70 between Milltown and Castlemaine, potentially bypassing the dangerous Heffernan's bend between the towns. The one flaw with a western link is the lack of connection to the R563 Killarney Road although this could be built seperately.

The N70 is the main route between Killorglin and West Kerry and every other part of the country besides Killarney and Cork through Milltown and is a busy commuter route both to and from Tralee and to the many industrial units in Killorglin.

Planning hasn't even started yet and there are objections:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/proposal-construct-bypass-around-mid-kerry-village-will-met-strong-opposition/
    An area that's clearly a time warp from the early 1980's - well, I guess it's time to get those folks ready for the future and reveal the year!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Public consultation on the scheme this week

http://www.radiokerry.ie/public-invited-view-plans-milltown-bypass/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Local councillor Michael O'Shea has been very vocal in the past few weeks, largely in opposition to the bypass. His argument is that the people of the town should have the deciding say in whether or not it goes ahead, rather than the people who have to navigate its very awkward streets and junction on a daily basis. He fears for their businesses etc, an argument that has been made for every town and village ever bypassed in the past 40 years.
    For anyone not familiar with the area, Milltown is on the main Tralee/Castlemaine/Killorglin/Cahirciveen and Killarney/Dingle road, and gets very busy in the summer season. It also has a very odd junction where traffic coming along what seems to be the main street from Killarney has to yield to traffic emerging from a side road coming from Killorglin. Traffic coming from the Tralee side has priority over everywhere else but most visitors don't realise that and often come to a full stop! It's a mess and a bypass is long overdue and badly needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The junction is a bit odd alright and it's poorly sign posted from the Tralee side.

But its only really a problem during the morning school rush, and even then it's only really a problem for people coming from the sounth turning right to go up to the schools.

At that time there is a high volume of traffic coming from Tralee heading to Killorglin and they flow freely through the junction while the traffic turning right has to yeild.

It's also busy coming down from the Killarney side for anyone going towards Tralee.

But it's only a issues for 20mins during that school rush hour.

I've never seen a tailback otherwise based on volume.

There are a nmberr of shops in the village, with parking on the street or otherwise that would see a big drop off in passing trade were there to be a bypass.

I'm sure there are other parts of Kerry that might be better served with improved road infrastructure.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Intelligent short bypass which makes a lot of sense for N70 traffic

I would go with option B as it removes more of the **** N70 on the Castlemaine side

Locals can't complain as Dingle -> Killarney traffic will still be going through Milltown along with local traffic. This will take a lot of heavy traffic out of the town

Intelligent short bypass which makes a lot of sense for N70 traffic

I would go with option B as it removes more of the **** N70 on the Castlemaine side

Locals can't complain as Dingle -> Killarney traffic will still be going through Milltown along with local traffic. This will take a lot of heavy traffic out of the town

I'd go with option B also, takes away the bends and keeps the road well away from the football field.

A lot of passing traffic stops at Spar,both chemist shops, the butchers and the takeway.

They will certainly be affected.

If one had the opportunity to build a shop/petrol station/cafe on the northern end of it they could do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Travel this road regularly and a bypass would be great.

I see the local politician is arguing against it on the basis the town will suffer because of less traffic passing through.

Has it no been shown in other parts of country when bypasses are introduced it helps the village/town. Ie less traffic jams which leads to people having easier access businesses in the village.

For example, has Castleisland suffered since the by pass was introduced?

tubbs26 wrote: »
    Travel this road regularly and a bypass would be great.

I see the local politician is arguing against it on the basis the town will suffer because of less traffic passing through.

Has it no been shown in other parts of country when bypasses are introduced it helps the village/town. Ie less traffic jams which leads to people having easier access businesses in the village.

For example, has Castleisland suffered since the by pass was introduced?

The one difference here is that Milltown isn't renowned for jams

But with the new road to Killorglin, realigning the N70 around Milltown would be worthwhile, especially the steep narrow approach from the Killorglin aide

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

But with the new road to Killorglin, realigning the N70 around Milltown would be worthwhile, especially the steep narrow approach from the Killorglin aide

Fair poiint

• Advertisement

Yes there is a big difference between Milltown and Castleisland.

There is nothing like the volume going through Milltown that was going through Castleisland.

And has anyone stats on how well business is in Castleisland post the bypass ?

I can't understand how anyone is suprised that a local politician is expressing concerns of local businesses over a proposed by pass.

The few shops (Spar, Burke's, fruit and veg shop and the chemists) in Milltown that are on Bridge St , the "Killorglin" side of the town, rely on passing trade, and there is street and off street parking available.

A bypass will seriously affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I never can get this objection either to bypasses. Towns and villages are far more pedestrian friendly and safer and the streets are no longer choked with exhaust fumes. I've driven thru Adare about 500 times and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've stopped there. Motorists going from A to C want to get their asap. They're not going to stop in gridlocked B to do some shopping so these local trader concerns are unfounded!

Saying that, I don't recall Milltown as a notorious bottleneck so I wonder why a bypass is that justified here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

God huge credit must go to Kerry Co Co for all the work that they get done. Really put Cork Co Co to shame.

A list of all the road projects completed by both in the last 10 years would make for depressing reading for Corkonians......

At the moment Kerry Co Co are widening a 3 span river bridge on the N72 close to Rathmore. The Barraduff bridge has previously been widened and road realigned. I can't remember the last time I've seen Cork Co Co widen a bridge on the N72 between Mallow and the county bounds

cjpm wrote: »
    God huge credit must go to Kerry Co Co for all the work that they get done. Really put Cork Co Co to shame.

A list of all the road projects completed by both in the last 10 years would make for depressing reading for Corkonians......

At the moment Kerry Co Co are widening a 3 span river bridge on the N72 close to Rathmore. The Barraduff bridge has previously been widened and road realigned. I can't remember the last time I've seen Cork Co Co widen a bridge on the N72 between Mallow and the county bounds
    Exactly this. In the 90s/00s, Killarney-Cork border, Tralee-Castleisland-Limerick border, Farranfore-Tralee were all heavily upgraded. Since then, during the quietest period of roadbuilding in Ireland's modern history, they have bypassed Castleisland and Tralee, completed realignments on the national secondary network, relief roads in Dingle and Kenmare, Listowel bypass about to start, N70 Kilderry underway and realignments planned on the N70 and N72. The N86 Tralee-Dingle scheme has 8km built and 8km to start within the next two years.

Lots of counties out there that could take a leaf out of their book.

Back to the topic at hand, I hope this goes ahead. Trucks going from Killorglin/Cahirciveen to Tralee/Foynes/Dublin etc should not have to pass through Milltown. There are journey time benefits and importantly a large safety dividend.

Route published Friday February 5th at 2pm.

According to Radio Kerry (https://www.radiokerry.ie/route-major-kerry-bypass-published-next-week/), this will be 1.6km in length.

Looking at the route options below, the green route is 1km and the pink route is ~1.7km, so I'd imagine it will be along the lines of the pink route.

http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/KCCWebsite/roads/milltownmap.pdf

Plans to oppose the bypass by a local alliance.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/plan-oppose-proposed-bypass-milltown/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Plans to oppose the bypass by a local alliance.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/plan-oppose-proposed-bypass-milltown/

It should be considered a sport at this stage.

Traffic going through Milltown has dwindled since COVID.

There was a large volume of traffic going through Milltown to and from Killorglin and it's two major employers Fexco and Astelas.

But with COVID that has changed, most of Fexco's staff are now WFH and they will never return to the office 5 days a week. Not sure about Astelas.

Pre COVID the only time there was a tailback in Milltown was during the school runs and to a lesser extent after 5 in the evening.

When the schools were back September to December the tailbacks were almost non existent.

I don't really see the value in a bypass for Milltown, the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Like in Killorglin for example, it's a bigger town, has more roads leading into it and has more potential bottlenecks.
    But the problem with that is it has a river that needs to be crossed, which balloons the price.

I remember when the Tralee bypass came along in 2013, it looked great on paper, but it was mainly on a north/south axis, with no east/west element to it.
    Now it just looks like a whole lot of wasted engineering, yes it has it's benefits, but traffic to the Dingle peninsula still has to take the old route it did pre bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 easypeasy36

This bypass has taken everyone by surprise. It is not needed and a complete waste of money. Killorglin is a bottleneck at the best of times and yet here they are wanting to spend 7 million on a 1.6km that will destroy farmland and private properties. They compared Milltown to Castleisland today in the webinar and said that Milltown could prosper like Castleisland. Milltown does not have supermarkets, a bank or boutiques that would bring people into the village. We are too small a place to be bypassed. The traffic problem is on the killarney side of the town and that should be looked at again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

This bypass has taken everyone by surprise. It is not needed and a complete waste of money. Killorglin is a bottleneck at the best of times and yet here they are wanting to spend 7 million on a 1.6km that will destroy farmland and private properties. They compared Milltown to Castleisland today in the webinar and said that Milltown could prosper like Castleisland. Milltown does not have supermarkets, a bank or boutiques that would bring people into the village. We are too small a place to be bypassed. The traffic problem is on the killarney side of the town and that should be looked at again.

Welcome on board - an interesting first post.
    I'm based in Tralee & this bypass proposal has not taken me by surprise.
    As you state the traffic issue is on the Killarney side - I regularly experience it.
    The issue is yielding to the Tralee Killorglin flow with limited sight lines in the centre of Milltown.
    Would taking that traffic "out of town" & reassigning priority to the Killarney traffic not sort the issue?
    Given the professed lack of supermarkets, banks or boutiques, the loss of business to out of town traffic does not stand up - in fairness you have not made that case.
    The case you do state is looking again at the Killarney traffic - would you care to elaborate on how this might be done - with specific emphasis on not "destroying" farmland & private properties?

I'm not from Kerry and don't know the road in question. From a national interest perspective, I don't see how this proposal trumps the infamous bottlenecks of Thurles, Killeagh, Ballina, Ballinrobe, Birr, Charleville etc, notwithstanding some of these towns will be bypassed in the coming years, but others such as Thurles have been completely mothballed. I'm not saying it's not needed, but it's a rather odd proposal in the overall scale of priorities both nationally and locally. I would have thought a North to South bypass of Killarney or removing some of the hairpin bends on the N70 and N71 would be more useful than this.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm not from Kerry and don't know the road in question. From a national interest perspective, I don't see how this proposal trumps the infamous bottlenecks of Thurles, Killeagh, Ballina, Ballinrobe, Birr, Charleville etc, notwithstanding some of these towns will be bypassed in the coming years, but others such as Thurles have been completely mothballed. I'm not saying it's not needed, but it's a rather odd proposal in the overall scale of priorities both nationally and locally. I would have thought a North to South bypass of Killarney or removing some of the hairpin bends on the N70 and N71 would be more useful than this.
    TII likes to have a portfolio of shovel-ready projects across a cost spectrum to hand so that whatever capital budget is available to them in a given year, they will have suitable project(s) to progress. This is why this is progressing through the planning process right now. There is no commitment to commence construction on it on any specific date.

This project, in terms of cost, comes in at the lowest level and is in no way comparable to potential bypasses of other mentioned towns, including Killorglin.

Milltown is dominated by two traffic flows, N/S from the N70 at Castlemaine to the N70 at Killorglin, and E/W from the R561 at Castlemaine onto the Dingle Peninsula to the R563 towards Killarney/Cork. This bypass removes one of those flows from the town (N70 -> N70) which removes through Dublin/Limerick/Tralee-Iveragh/Killorglin traffic from the town including heavy vehicles. The town retains the E/W Dingle/West Kerry-Cork/Killarney traffic.

There was a realignment completed in 2019 south of Milltown which removed 3.5km of absolute dirt road and replaced it with a functional single carriageway which is suitable for the traffic it carries. The same applies here, this scheme is 1.6km, it removes the steep approach to the town from the south, the town itself which is quite tricky for heavy vehicles to manoeuvre and it also removes a tricky bend north of Milltown which would be difficult to remove with a smaller job due to the route of the N70 in this area.

For the benefits of this project and the cost of it, it's an absolute no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is also worth noting that bypasses are not exclusively for the benefit of the residents of the bypassed town (although they do benefit). It is for the benefit of anyone travelling through the town on their way to anywhere else, and exponentially beneficial for cyclists where such facilities are provided.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40223576.html

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/milltown-is-collateral-damage-in-bypass-plan-40072235.html

Negative coverage in the press.
    “Our role is to help Milltown to develop as a liveable, viable town,” Mr Stephens said.

That doesn't tally with objections to removing heavy vehicles from the town.

ABP in autumn 2021.

Also, preferred route:

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1359852907697430530/photo/1

1.67km of Type 2 SC, segregated walking/cycling track, one road underbridge, one stream bridge and one roundabout.

As a resident of Milltown I'm really neither for nor against this bypass.

I can absolutely see how the businesses that rely on passing traffic would be adversely affected, but equally it would be one less village to twist through for HGVs going further south.

I do hope they include the segregated walking/cycling track this time.

That was also promised in N70 Kilderry scheme that was completed a few years ago and never included.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

That was also promised in N70 Kilderry scheme that was completed a few years ago and never included.

Is the old road the effective walking / cycling route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

As a resident of Milltown I'm really neither for nor against this bypass.

I can absolutely see how the businesses that rely on passing traffic would be adversely affected, but equally it would be one less village to twist through for HGVs going further south.

For what it's worth, the design standard for a Type 2 Single Carriageway requires that there be a dedicated cycle and/or pedestrian path, separated from the vehicle road.

This can be done as one cycleway and one pedestrian way, or a combined, wider, path for both if space is restricted (or in remote areas where there's not expected to be many cyclists/pedestrians using the path), but whatever it is, there has to be a separate way for non-motorised traffic to use.

The final drawings for the scheme will be submitted to An Bord Pleanála, and will form the basis of the planning permission grant. If there's a cycleway on these final plans, it will have to be built.

Advertisement