Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ken Doherty tour wildcard

• 26-06-2017 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

It's good to see Ken knuckling down to practice after being given a wildcard ticket after dropping off the tour last year. He qualified for the first ranking event of the season in Riga and I think he also qualified for another tournament in China. He had a great run in Riga over the weekend were he progressed to the semi finals only to be beaten in the deciding frame by Stephen Maguire. It would be great to see Ken consistently qualifying for tournaments and competing again. One last hurrah before retiring!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

He mentioned in a podcast interview with Eamon Dunphy that he doesn't want to fall into obscurity before he retires. It would be great to see him win or at least contest a final ranking event this year. Seems to have had a great run in Riga!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Be good to see Ken have a bit of a resurgance and a bit of tv time (competing on the championship tables!) again. Hopefully he can make a good run at the Irish open in Belfast in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Only saw the quarter-final match against McGill in Riga which was pretty poor fare truth be told. But you can't knock him. Looks to be really trying to give it a go for the next two years and take full advantage of his wildcard. Hit a nice 147 in what looks like an exhibition match in Germany a couple of weeks back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=5V9IW2kM54w

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Doherty continues fine form this season and he has qualified for every tournament he has entered so far. He had a great win last week beating Barry Hawkins to qualify for the European Masters. Earlier in the week be defeated Ali Carter to qualify for the Indian Open.

Ken is doing well again this week in the Indian open. Won his first round match and just won his second round match today against Sam Baird. He now plays Zhang Anda in the third round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Glenman wrote: »
    Ken is doing well again this week in the Indian open. Won his first round match and just won his second round match today against Sam Baird. He now plays Zhang Anda in the third round.

Lost the Zhang Anda match in the deciding frame :( He's having a good run these days!

Ken is doing well this week in Belfast, he's through to round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Ken playing Neil Robertson next.

Bit of a slump again for Ken, he's failed to qualify for the China open

What is the story with Ken this year? Is he still on the tour?
    I see he was not at the Riga masters or at this week's World Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ken's on the last of his two year tour exemption, same as Jimmy. He isn't in China this week as he was beaten in qualifying by a young German player who is the current European under-21 champion. He's 65 on the rankings currently, so will be a battle for him if he wants to retain his tour card for next season. I see Hearn gave a wild card to James Wattana this year but I doubt Ken will be able to rely on getting an extension next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

More interested in the media work, trick shot exhibitions with the old fogies and the gala dinners than hard core practicing, it seems.

Look at people like Anthony Hamilton, Mark King and to a lesser extent Fergal O'Brien. Those guys weren't a patch on Ken in his prime and are not that much younger than him, yet they are qualifying for tournaments, making a good account of themselves and the former two have actually won ranking tourneys in the last year or two.

Think you have to see it in context. Ken's a guy who, right from the start, always had a bit going on other than snooker. I think he was keen to set himself up for life in financial terms and relying purely on earnings from snooker probably didnt seem all that appealing, especially in the less affluent time of the 90s. That has morphed into owning a business, probably a few bits of property here and there, a bit of commentary and other bits and pieces. Outside of snooker, what do guys like King and Hamilton have going on? Some of them tend to have involvements with snooker clubs, but from what I gathered when King won his ranking title a couple of years back, he was desperately in need of the cash.

Ken sort of went into decline about 12-13 years ago, round his mid-30s, and I dont think it was for want or practice or motivation. It just happened and I'm not sure anybody, least alone Ken himself, can fully understand why. Same thing basically with Hendry I'd say. When you've been a world champion, ranked top 2 or 3, i'd imagine it's so much more difficult to motivate yourself in your 40s than for journeymen like Hamilton or King for whom matchplay snooker remains their main breadwinner. Anyway, Ken will soon be pushing 50 and, bar something remarkable, I think we are near the end point now. Still a great career and its sad and rather shameful for the sport that we're not producing players of that distinction anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

But so long as you finish in the top 64 in May, they will automatically get a tour card? Knocking around 48-64 is Ken's level but he may slip down. We will see.

Jimmy climbed up around 72, which is higher than he was for a while I think. So they may give it one big push now if they are motivated enough to keep going, and plenty of UK based tournaments to turn up at over the winter.

Yes top 64 (Ken is 65 at moment) or in the top 8 on the one year money list (excluding those already exempt) so there's 2 chances. Jimmy will keep going until someone actively tells him he cant play anymore, he'll be back in q school next summer if he falls off the tour. Doubt Ken would be so inclined to go through that torture chamber.

Good news for Ken, he has won his first round match at the China Championship, 5-3 against Tian Pengfei. Bad news is he'll almost certainly have to play the world champion in the next round and Mark Williams looks to have picked up these season where he left the last. Give a good guide as to where Ken's game is at right now at the very least.

Did Ken play that game yet against Mark Williams or will that take place at the tournament proper when it kicks-off on 24th Sept?

Glenman wrote: »
    Did Ken play that game yet against Mark Williams or will that take place at the tournament proper when it kicks-off on 24th Sept?

Yeah will be played when 2nd rnd gets underway next week. Williams does have to win his heldover first round match against Rod Lawlor but he’s just not going to lose that one, famous last words and all that notwithstanding.

Unsurprisingly Ken no match for the world champ today. Didn’t see match but Williams winning 5-0 with a highest break of 55 suggests it wasn’t up to much.

Better news for Fergal though who reached the last 32 with a win over Ali Carter.

I see Ken won his match at the International Championship Qualifiers against Chris Totten.
    Doherty compiled six half-century breaks as he saw off the Scot in a well-fought encounter with the result setting up a potential clash with two-time defending champion Mark Selby in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

A 6 nil hammering by Selby today.

Third whitewash of season I think? Just can’t live with top guys anymore, needs some luck with the draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Ken about to play Ronnie now on BBC 2 and eurosport.

Great achievement for Ken to reach the final stages in Championship League Snooker. He will have a tough final group on Friday.
    https://wst.tv/doherty-and-wilson-reach-finals-day/

It was a great achievement for him to even qualify to this stage of the event as his initial group back in September includes Neil Robertson,
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2020/0928/1168070-ken-doherty-rolls-back-years-to-defeat-neil-robertson/

wonder is there many ranking points for this event? He could be in next week's Champion of Champions but that's a long shot!

Advertisement