Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sim card

Has anyone any idea who has won the construction of the project?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Tender process ends in September

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Very quiet on this recently but this update from a usually reliable source on another forum suggests it's still all systems go for Westport-Castlebar:

I think that one is clear for a contract signing in September/October. There are no outstanding advance works in train that could affect possession, unlike Macroom and Dunkettle. There are 4 valid bids in evaluation since the late spring and I do expect diggers onsite this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very quiet on this recently but this update from a usually reliable source on another forum suggests it's still all systems go for Westport-Castlebar:

I think that one is clear for a contract signing in September/October. There are no outstanding advance works in train that could affect possession, unlike Macroom and Dunkettle. There are 4 valid bids in evaluation since the late spring and I do expect diggers onsite this year.

Bit of a calm before the storm on this one. But indeed it looks like this is a shoe in for a Q4 start with contract signing after the summer recess.

Michael Ring says he expects sign off on this at next Cabinet meeting according to the Western People

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Michael Ring says he expects sign off on this at next Cabinet meeting according to the Western People
    Good stuff.

https://westernpeople.ie/2019/08/27/sod-turning-imminent-on-westport-to-turlough-road/

Looks like it'll be underway very shortly like the N22 scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Another 'nearly nearly nearly there' article on the N5
    Another "keep Michael Ring's name in the paper" article, you mean!

Leo Varadkar is due to be in Mayo next Friday apparently. Could we see a sod turning?

Leo Varadkar is due to be in Mayo next Friday apparently. Could we see a sod turning?

This is the relevant article, no mention of N5. Normally these sod turnings are well advertised in advance so probably no dice

https://westernpeople.ie/2019/09/13/taoiseach-to-visit-mayo-next-week/

• Advertisement

This is the relevant article, no mention of N5. Normally these sod turnings are well advertised in advance so probably no dice

Ya. Probably a bit previous for a sod turning. Maybe an announcement of contracts or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Roughan o Donovan are recruiting a project supervisor.

From what I heard it's a Q1 2020 start before the digging begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Wills/ BAM have won this subject to the alcatel period

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

irishgeo wrote: »

Is it?

The display boards are showing roadworks starting on the 26th of September on the Westport/Castlebar road. Is this related?

Is it?

The display boards are showing roadworks starting on the 26th of September on the Westport/Castlebar road. Is this related?
    You don't go digging in the middle of winter. I doubt it. We haven't even turned the official sod.

No mention of N5 on Leo's visit to castlebar yesterday unfortunately.

Where are these display boards that say works starting on 26th September? I'd like to think it's related to the project, given what was said above about Wills/BAM winning the tender.

Is it?

No mention of N5 on Leo's visit to castlebar yesterday unfortunately.

Where are these display boards that say works starting on 26th September? I'd like to think it's related to the project, given what was said above about Wills/BAM winning the tender.

I doubt it. We haven't seen a compound setup yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

I doubt it. We haven't seen a compound setup yet.

Wills HQ about 7/10 miles from the turlough end of the road, cant see there being a massive compound, also hadnt they a compound in Doogary when fencing?

Wills HQ about 7/10 miles from the turlough end of the road, cant see there being a massive compound, also hadnt they a compound in Doogary when fencing?

Westport is a bit far away from turlough. I doubt they will driving the gear home every evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Is it?

They are for a resurfacing job on the Westport side of Castlebar on the N5.

Is there a problem with this project? no update and hearing rumours

Is there a problem with this project? no update and hearing rumours

Should be awarded very shortly now budget is done

Specifically named (along with the N22) in today’s Budget for finding next year

marno21 wrote: »

It's already been awarded from what I heard and starting march/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

marno21 wrote: »
    Sorry, I’ll correct what I said. It has been awarded but the Cabinet approval followed by ceremonial awarding and sod turning and willy waving has to happen yet

It definitely hasn't been awarded, it can't be without govt and TII approval.

• marno21 wrote: »

Is this the Macroom bypass? If it is, then this RTE piece today is saying government approval for the tender has NOT been granted (yet). So a similar note of caution about the N5 is probably warranted.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2019/1009/1082187-macroom-bypass/

This is my view of what's happening at the minute:

BAM/Wills have won the procurement process with submission to Government by DTTAS for Cabinet approval whenever the alcatel period is complete
    Cabinet to approve award of contract
    Sod turning ceremony + contractors move in

Notes:
    1. This project (along with the N22) are specifically mentioned in the Budget document as priorities for land transport investment in 2020. The project is not in question, no matter what Danny Healy Rae's opinion is. The Kilcummin Sewage project has nothing to do with the N22 scheme.
    2. Shane Ross has form at this stage for not being particularly expeditious in bringing projects to Cabinet for approval.
    3. Both the N5 and N22 have Senior cabinet members championing these projects (Michael Ring + Michael Creed) who will not let them be delayed too much.
    4. The Budget has likely soaked up most of the political energy at the minute.
    5. There is a third project (M21 for Cabinet approval to proceed to ABP + publish EIS/motorway order) which is also to be brought for Cabinet approval this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Approval of both schemes will likely be announced at the same time by govt possibly next week.

Approval of both schemes will likely be announced at the same time by govt possibly next week.

Probably waiting for Brexit to be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Probably waiting for Brexit to be sorted.

If we wait for Brexit to be sorted there won't be a new infrastructure project started in the country for the next ten years.

Advertisement