Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing betting thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Trout to beat Lara @ evens
    Galahad to beat Dickens @ 1/2
    Mathysse by TKO/KO @ 8/11
    Mayweather by points @ 4/7

Paddy Power.

20 snots returns over 162. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Is the Trout fight definitely on?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

FTA69 wrote: »
    Is the Trout fight definitely on?

That fight still hasn't been confirmed for any date as far as I was aware. It's certainly not on this weekend. Unless they spring it by surprise before the Matthysse fight, which would actually be pretty cool.

el flaco wrote: »
    That fight still hasn't been confirmed for any date as far as I was aware. It's certainly not on this weekend. Unless they spring it by surprise before the Matthysse fight, which would actually be pretty cool.

Bollix. Why do PP have up it then! :mad:

Just gonna go for the treble so. Not great value in it but a relatively safe bet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

David Haye in RDS 1-6 @ 6/4 Haye will connect and i fancy him to have to much ability for Fury so a nice bet on an early finish @ 6/4 is a fair price.

• Advertisement

Willie Casey is 1.72 on Paddy Power against Marco McCullagh.

Excellent odds imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Alvarado is available by 9/4 to win by decision on Saturday night. Ruslan 9/4 to win by stoppage. Which is the smarter bet here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Henno30 wrote: »
    Alvarado is available by 9/4 to win by decision on Saturday night. Ruslan 9/4 to win by stoppage. Which is the smarter bet here?

I think Provodnikov will wear him down, down the stretch and get the stoppage.
    Great fight though, good chance to become a FOTY contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

can't wait to hear more of flannas useless tips lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Big Ears wrote: »
    I think Provodnikov will wear him down, down the stretch and get the stoppage.
    Great fight though, good chance to become a FOTY contender.

I think Alvarado's movement and footwork have been somewhat overrated because his biggest fight was against such a plodder in Rios. By contrast, Provodnikov demonstrated his ability to cut off the ring against a legit elite operator in Bradley. If Provodnikov could apply that kind of pressure against someone on that level then you'd have to think he's going to be a real handful for a comparatively mediocre boxer like Alvarado.

The counter-argument would be that Provodnikov spent long stretches of that fight struggling to get anywhere near Bradley, and it's possible that his best moments had as much to do with Bradley's recklessness as his own footwork and ring IQ.

Fully agree that it should be a very entertaining match-up in any case. Should be fun to watch.

• Advertisement

Mike Perez @ 5/6 on Paddy Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

pac_man wrote: »
    I Think the Froch fight is over-hyped and Rios is one dimensional.
    So a Froch Pacman KO double will get you in around 6/4. Anyone bet against this?

Froch KO for sure,
    If I was going to bet on Pac-Rios I'd prob go with the same,
    saying that Rios has a good chin and we still don't know if the Bradley KO Pac suffered has taken its toll on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

I Think the Froch fight is over-hyped and Rios is one dimensional.
    So a Froch Pacman KO double will get you in around 6/4. Anyone bet against this?

I agree about the Pacman fight. Rios will probably be like a human punching bag for Pacquiao and I while I don't necessarily see Rios getting flattened I can see the ref waving it off.

From a betting perspective I'd be worried that Groves will be on the run and Froch might find him tough to pin down. At 4/6 I'm not sure I give Froch a >60% chance of knocking him out. Might be one best-suited to the in-running market?

Backing KO's really adds to the excitement though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

el flaco wrote: »
    I agree about the Pacman fight. Rios will probably be like a human punching bag for Pacquiao and I while I don't necessarily see Rios getting flattened I can see the ref waving it off.

From a betting perspective I'd be worried that Groves will be on the run and Froch might find him tough to pin down. At 4/6 I'm not sure I give Froch a >60% chance of knocking him out. Might be one best-suited to the in-running market?

Backing KO's really adds to the excitement though :)

I agree. It's not a good price. In-play could well be the best way forward.

However, at odds of over 7/1 on Betfair I really think a small wager on Groves on points is a good value bet.

Malinaggi points and Barker points double at 13/8 each works out around 6/1. Worth a tenner in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

What a weekend of boxing betting that lies ahead !

I would consider adding 'Lara by points @ 15/8' to the accumulator

I can't find odds for the James Kirkland fight ?!

My only issue is when Sturm fights, his fights are hard to score because of that high guard and any fights that go the distance are usually close fights.Still think that double offers good value.

Couple that with the fact he has received robbery decisions in Germany before.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Couple that with the fact he has received robbery decisions in Germany before.

True, but he has been at the end of bad decisions in Germany also. Murray was lucky to get a draw and Soliman definitely shouldn't have got the decision. Even Geale's fight could have gone either way.

I think it's a very strong possibility that the fight will go the distance and be close, so maybe cover the distance options (incl. my favourite - the draw cover bet).

Actually you could say the same with the Lara/Troutt fight.

Actually you could say the same with the Malignaggi/Judah fight.

Actually you could say the same about the Devon Alexander vs Shawn Porter fight.

I'm backing Broner on points at 6/4 and Maidana by stoppage at 7/1. Don't think Broner is much of a puncher at 147 but his style matches up wll to Maidana so a points decision is likely imo. On the other hand, he's in with a strong, bigger guy who is a good puncher so I think straddling at at 7/1 stoppage is wise.

If Broner stops him which is likelier than Maidana getting a decision, I'll be taking a big hit.

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    I'm backing Broner on points at 6/4 and Maidana by stoppage at 7/1. Don't think Broner is much of a puncher at 147 but his style matches up wll to Maidana so a points decision is likely imo. On the other hand, he's in with a strong, bigger guy who is a good puncher so I think straddling at at 7/1 stoppage is wise.

If Broner stops him which is likelier than Maidana getting a decision, I'll be taking a big hit.

I agree on Broner on points being the pick here. He's not the puncher his stats would suggest - at least at welter he's not. He has the better skills but I don't see him stopping Maidana (barring injury obviously). Maidana, despite occasionally looking iffy to the body, is seriously hard. I'd absolutely LOOOOOOVE to see him win this, particularly by punishing round after punishing round, but Broner on points at 6/4 is actually decent value, where did you get it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

I like the points bet on Broner,he couldnt K.O pauli malanaggi so he wont be knocking out this warrior in Maidana,he will more than likely drop him once or twice but he wont be stopped imo 6/4 is a good bet,either way if its close the judges wont be denying the up and comer prospect $$$$$$$4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

magma69 wrote: »

Nasty. Commiserations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

That Maidana KO was so close, as soon as the fight started I was annoyed I hadn't had a small bet on it

I had Maidana to win by KO @ 7/1

Was hopping off my seat here at 4am :)

Nasty. Commiserations.

It was a small comfort that I got to see Broner humbled at least. Had Broner knocked him out, I'd be on suicide watch! :pac:

Tyson Fury just to be knocked down tomorrow @ 6/1 doesn't seem like a bad bet. Lad he is fighting can bang, is a southpaw and knocked down Pulev in his last fight. Fury doesn't seem to be in shape for this one and his chin is questionable.

Fury weight in at 274 pounds?!!

You might be onto something there, Fury would be gassing hard if this goes past 5 rounds, and I've always said he is begging to be knocked out(down) with his style. Cunningham did it last time out.

Where is that bet?

Fury leaves his chin very vulnerable sometimes. I think he likes to brawl. Overweight (compared to his normal fighting weight) makes me think about the knockdown.

Tyson Fury just to be knocked down tomorrow @ 6/1 doesn't seem like a bad bet. Lad he is fighting can bang, is a southpaw and knocked down Pulev in his last fight. Fury doesn't seem to be in shape for this one and his chin is questionable.

13/2 on Paddy Power. Great shout man. Gonna do that myself. :)

Edit. See it's gone to 11/2 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I know its no comparision but he did weigh in with runners, tracksuit, hoody, hat etc on.
    Anyway, il hop on this bet.

Advertisement