Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 karonnia

Hi guys, I'm coming up to two years brace off anniversary(for the uppers anyways) and thought i'd give my bit of speel on having braces...

I can't find my photos at the moment but basically i had 2 rows of teeth on the upper and lower because my mouth was physically too small for my adult teeth. So my canines and and the smaller incisors were kinda above the other teeth but the canines were the worst. I suffered from horrific gingivitis because my teeth were so overlapped they were impossible to clean properly. At 20 i was finally brave enough to go to the orthodontist and i can safely say it was THE SINGLE BEST THING i've ever done. I had all four premolars removed to make room and about 2 months after the removal i had the brace put on. Went in in the morning and he used elastics as spacers, went back a couple of hours later and had a ceramic upper and a metal lower brace put on. Had the usual power chains and elastics throughout the treatment. That was september 2008, May 2010 my upper brace came off and then the first week of september the lower came off. It is unbelievable the difference. My teeth are perfect and still are coming up to two years later (I only have a plastic retainer).

To those of you nervous about doing it, there is no need to be. Find a good orthodontist who makes you feel comfortable and it will be fine. Yes there is pain at times but its really not that bad plus the effects are visible almost immediately.

smallerthanyou- i was nervous about having my brace taken off too but it was completely fine. It didnt hurt, all thats uncomfortable is having hands in your mouth when they're trying to get the back brackets. It'll be off in literally 5 minutes.

Good luck to everyone having it done, it's so worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 red one

Its been great to hear your stories. I'm motivated now to go for it! Can anyone recommend a good ortho in Dublin by pm? I know I can check the website for a registered one but a personal recommendation would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Hi,

I'm in the process of looking for somewhere good in Tallaght (or surrounding areas) for braces. I've been to one place so far for a quote but I just want to go to another one for a comparison. Anyone know anywhere good, PM me please!

Also, when I went for my first consultation the orthodontist basically recommened 18 month braces (Damon braces) but I only have a mild over crowding on the bottom and a crossover on one tooth on the top. Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering if I'd just be better with 6 month braces...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Had my braces tightened yesterday, last one. They're off in 5 weeks! Yay! Have two appointments that day!

Morning for getting them off and gum reahaping and bonding then in the afternoon getting my retainer fitted

I'm getting a bonded retainer and also the clear ones!!! Excited! Will post a pic when I get a chance. Only have top 6 wired which feels odd and all bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ How exciting! I have ages left :( Oh well!

Had an adjustment today. Went grand. He said my lowers have moved a lot...which I can't really so but I'll take his word for it!

Here is what they look like today! (No lowers...because they look the same really)

Photo422.jpg

And this is what my teeth were like 5 months ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Had another appointment this week. So got additional brackets on my very back bottom two teeth. Keep chewing holes into my inside cheeks with these when I'm eating. Pretty much have to chew with mouth open. It's terribly attractive! Also have a tighter wire and an elastic that runs along the wire as well as around the brackets so feeling tender the last few days.

Still going well though. The ortho mentioned again the potential for jaw surgery to correct an overbite (I think it's overbite, my top teeth are where they should be but bottom teeth too far back). I'm still unsure on this. Part of me thinks if I've gone this far and spent this much why not get things perfect, and part of me thinks it's major surgery for appearance sake, why take the risk. All I can do is gather all the info I can and make decision when the time comes. Anyone had this type of surgery that can advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

I have my braces 7 weeks now and the movement which has taken place already is incredible. My bottom teeth were pretty overcrowded and they're now straight and I had an over lapping canine which has now slotted back into it's rightful place. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

I'm planning on getting braces this summer yikes! I was just wondering if someone could give me an idea of how many appointments and how often they are required? I'm a full time student up in the north but my ortho will be down south and am very busy in college so just wondering if I'll realistically have time for all of these appointments.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

hey guys had my lower braces fitted thursday. dear sweet jeebus im in agony :( nurofen plus is my friend the last few days
    got my top ones tightened too but no pain up there woo hoo

2 weeks till I hopefully get mine off! Can't come quick enough!! :D

• Advertisement

Another problem for the adult brace wearer! This made me laugh.

Not really that safe for work!.

http://omg.wthax.org/553325_377281738983041_249469905097559_1121063_204579158_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 braceface22

I have the 6 months smile braces, I'm 3 months in and delighted so far so fingers crossed they stay straight! I'm keeping a blog of my progress and experience if anyones interested! http://6monthsmile.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Another problem for the adult brace wearer! This made me laugh.

Not really that safe for work!.

http://omg.wthax.org/553325_377281738983041_249469905097559_1121063_204579158_n.jpg

Safe for work??? Are you a hooker??

Safe for work??? Are you a hooker??

That made me laugh out loud. And no point editing my post cos it's preserved in your's for internet eternity!

Ah well. Lovely new elastics on today. Starting a new job on Monday (no, not as a lady of the night!) so wanted clean ones.

Scheduled to get my braces off tomo! I just hope that it goes ahead and they look as well as expected.!!!

Very nervous! Last time I had two brackets removed felt like my tooth was being cracked off! Not looking forward to the pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Good Luck Hun.
    Just think of your gorgeous smile :)

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Scheduled to get my braces off tomo! I just hope that it goes ahead and they look as well as expected.!!!

Very nervous! Last time I had two brackets removed felt like my tooth was being cracked off! Not looking forward to the pain!

auntyweeze wrote: »
    Good Luck Hun.
    Just think of your gorgeous smile :)

Thanks. Can't stop thinking about it! Driving myself insane! Feel ill at the thought!!

Got my braces off today! So excited!! Wasn't painful at all!! Delighted!! Cannot stop smiling! :D Have to go back at 5 to get my retainers! :)

Heres some before and afters!
    BEFORE

img0282ge.jpg

img0348ck.jpg

AFTER!

img1450ex.jpg

Getting fixed retainers and some crown lenghtening in two weeks, my gumline isint very even!

^ Looking great! Although I think they looked fine to begin with..

Glad it didn't hurt!

Can't wait to get mine off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Looks fantastic Jwacqui, I'd say you're delighted. Super jealous of you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Lochlan Thousands Shop

Good stuff Jwacqui a smile to be proud of. Look after them.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    ^ Looking great! Although I think they looked fine to begin with..

Glad it didn't hurt!

Can't wait to get mine off :)

Its an amazing, can't believe they're my teeth!
    lexa wrote: »
    Looks fantastic Jwacqui, I'd say you're delighted. Super jealous of you!

So happy! :D Can't stop smiling!
    Good stuff Jwacqui a smile to be proud of. Look after them.

Thank you, I will!

Well I spoke too soon about no pain! Got retainers at 5 and wowsers! Whole mouth is aching! So painful to take out and put in! I have the clear essix retainers and will be fitted with bonded retainers in 2 weeks.

Mouth has that throbbing feeling like when your braces are tightened! I just hope that it eases off cause I have to wear it 23hours a day. Think I'll have to go and get some painkillers!

Anyone know if the pain will ease off as my teeth get used to it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

When I got my retainers I don’t recall them hurting as such. Is it possible yours are too tight? I know I had several retainers made as first one was too tight; second one too loose and finally third one was ok. I was only wearing mine at night though and I found it took a while to get used to them as they made me feel a bit unwell.

If they are hurting, I imagine the pain will go away in a day or two like when you got your braces adjusted.

Will you need new retainers after your bonded retainers are fitted? I know I had bonded retainers placed first, and then new impressions made for the essix retainers once these were in place. Maybe your existing retainers will just fit over the bonded retainer?

When I got my retainers I don’t recall them hurting as such. Is it possible yours are too tight? I know I had several retainers made as first one was too tight; second one too loose and finally third one was ok. I was only wearing mine at night though and I found it took a while to get used to them as they made me feel a bit unwell.

If they are hurting, I imagine the pain will go away in a day or two like when you got your braces adjusted.

Will you need new retainers after your bonded retainers are fitted? I know I had bonded retainers placed first, and then new impressions made for the essix retainers once these were in place. Maybe your existing retainers will just fit over the bonded retainer?

I am hoping it will go away over the next week, feels very tight on the top so maybe it is too tight. He said I will get a second set for over my fixed retainers thats why I'm not too keen on causing a fuss or ringing cause at worst its only 2 weeks.

When they are in its totally bearable but taking them out and in is so painful.
    I suppose no pain no gain! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

When I got my retainers I don’t recall them hurting as such. Is it possible yours are too tight? I know I had several retainers made as first one was too tight; second one too loose and finally third one was ok.

They must have made you a Goldilocks retainer.

Got stronger wires put on today! My ortho said that my progress is a lot better than he ever expected :D

I wonder how long the extraction gaps will take to close.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Got stronger wires put on today! My ortho said that my progress is a lot better than he ever expected :D

I wonder how long the extraction gaps will take to close.

Ooo exciting!! How long are you In them? And how long left?

I'm loving being brave free but ye retainers are a major pain!

^ I've had them for about 6 months now...and was originally told I'll need them for 2 years. This could be cut shorter though because they're moving so fast :)
    I have a lot of work to be done on my bite, but that won't be till the end of the treatment.

Yeah I had an appliance that was kinda like a hawley retainer when I was younger...it was wayyyy sorer than braces!

Well just to update! Retainers are much Better than the last day! Still tight on top and a tad difficult to get out I'm just hoping that this won't affect any teeth movement.

Back next Wednesday for my fixed retainers, think il get new essix retainers so hope I don't have to start from scratch!!

• Advertisement

How's everyone getting on?
    Had my bonded retainer fitted on lowers today! Feels a bit bulky but I'm sure il get used to it!

Had some crown lengthening done. My lip is huge!! So swollen and bruised from the injection! Hope goes down before work at 5!

Gettin upper retainer in two weeks because my retainer is not a perfect fit and my front tooth has moved slightly so I need a new retainer for 2 weeks to fix it!

Advertisement