Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

tricky D wrote: »
    Further developments on the USS Guardian, from The Guardian no less!

US navy will dismantle minesweeper stranded on coral reef

The damage to the ship that ran aground in the Philippines is so extensive the vessel will have to be cut up and removed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/30/us-navy-dismantle-minesweeper-coral

Not surprised at this, 15 or so years ago while doing a job in the Gulf of Mexico, south of Corpus Christi. A shiny new looking US minesweeper turned up and told us to leave the our work-site as we were in his mine hunting exercise area.
    He was not impressed when we told him we were aware of the navigational warnings. We knew where we were and his exercise area was 40 odd Nautical Miles to the East of us.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Another Bad day for the Cruise Liner industry, just over a Year after Costa Concordia.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0210/367053-five-killed-after-cruise-ship-accident/

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

sad news

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Carnival Triumph had an engine room fire but thankfully none of the 3,143 guests nor 1,086 crew were injured. She's 150m off Mexico and it will be Wednesday before she's alongside.

http://maritimematters.com/2013/02/carnival-triumph-engine-room-fire-quelled/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Picture on the link below of a broken cable that held the lifeboat, wonder who checked that one last time

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21403419

• Advertisement

jamesdiver wrote: »

Same vessel was involved in an aborted medevac earlier in the night. Conditions prevented the SAR Heli from reaching the Trawler, so it turned back and they continued towards Bantry Bay, and on way, lost this other crew member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It seems a bit odd though the irish times link and some others mention it was the same crewman that went overboard, it says he was injured at 4:30pm then the helicopter was unable to lift him off then he went overboard at 4am the next morning,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A nice story on the BBC website about the era of massive container ships

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21432226

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A nice story on the BBC website about the era of massive container ships

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21432226

F**k me, seems like yesterday I had a Maresk salesman pulling his hair out wondering how he was going to fill his quota, when they put 6000 TEU on that run from the Far East

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Would any of you know what stena Europe is up to off Wexford harbour. It doesn't seem to be able to dock in Rosslare (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

MissFire wrote: »
    Would any of you know what stena Europe is up to off Wexford harbour. It doesn't seem to be able to dock in Rosslare (?)

Seems to be doing a few loop-the-loops alright :D

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx

A great piece in the weekly Maritime Monday blog on GCaptain with an Irish theme. The H&W story makes particularly interesting reading.

http://gcaptain.com/maritime-monday-march-eighteen-twentythirteen-f-the-pope/

The reinstatement of a ferry link between Cork and Britain is not feasible in the current economic climate, according to a report compiled by transport experts.

Full story here http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/reopening-cork-uk-ferry-link-unfeasible-225861.html

Not while sterling is so strong against the Euro. They also need not to be competing against flights to the UK. Guess I have to keep driving to Rosslare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

A Cork-UK service would be seasonal at best. It would also have to be run by a shipping company, not be a group of well meaning people who might have been experts in their own field but not in running a ferry company. Also the improved roads to Rosslare and the impact of LC airlines would have to allowed for. I priced a trip to Swansea on the Julia, it worked out cheaper for me to do a fly-drive to Bristol with Aer Lingus than take the ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

ICG results were out last week.

http://www.icg.ie/documents/2013/full-year-results-2012.pdf

or they have a presentation :http://www.icg.ie/documents/2013/full-year-results-presentation-2012.pdf

In relation to Cork-Swansea, it is unfeasible without a subsidy or a large company taking it up to employ economies of scale to the route. Looking at the ICG presentation you can see that their fuel cost went up over 12% from 2011 with a practically identical number of sailings.

If anything is to come to Cork it will be the long proposed route to Spain. That route would be eligable for a grant/subsidy under the EU's "Highways of the Sea" plan. Although I believe if that was the case ICG may challenge such a subsidy as about 30% of their freight movements on the direct route to France go into Spain.

roundymac wrote: »
    A Cork-UK service would be seasonal at best. It would also have to be run by a shipping company, not be a group of well meaning people who might have been experts in their own field but not in running a ferry company. Also the improved roads to Rosslare and the impact of LC airlines would have to allowed for. I priced a trip to Swansea on the Julia, it worked out cheaper for me to do a fly-drive to Bristol with Aer Lingus than take the ferry.

How much did Aer lingus charge you to bring your chalet tent, baby buggy and bicycles?

How much did Aer lingus charge you to bring your chalet tent, baby buggy and bicycles?
    They quoted me €495 with a car, I could'nt believe it was reasonable plus as I wanted to go to Devon and Cornwall, it was €450 for the two of us plus car in the ferry and that's only as far as Swansea. In the end the "boss" deceided she wanted a sun holiday so we compromised and went to her sister's in New York.:(

• Advertisement

But you aren't comparing like with like. People with motorbikes, Camper Vans, Trucks, Tour Buses, Vans, they are the ones whose only option is to take a ferry.

Pedestrians can do what they want.

Ever flown with 3 kids under 5?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/30821-hsa-investigates-workplace-death-city-docks

HSA INVESTIGATES WORKPLACE DEATH AT CITY DOCKS

Always sad to hear of these incidents. Thoughts are with his family, friends and work mates.

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

But you aren't comparing like with like. People with motorbikes, Camper Vans, Trucks, Tour Buses, Vans, they are the ones whose only option is to take a ferry.

Why don't you just take a private helicopter? I mean, it's probably about as financially viable for an average family of five to run their own helicopter as it is for any company to run a cork Swansea ferry

I was comparing what I would be doing, and giving it as an example. Most people I think would rather spend 3-4 hours on a ferry rather than 10+ hours, even if it means 2-3 hours driving to Rosslare and the same again when you get to the other side before you get to Swansea. My point is that the price was high. I know it's a bit like pricing Ryanair, the initial price is was people go for, add in the petrol and it might be closer to the mark. And no,thankfully I never had the "pleasure" of trying to fly with 3 kids under 5.

roundymac wrote: »
    I was comparing what I would be doing, and giving it as an example. Most people I think would rather spend 3-4 hours on a ferry rather than 10+ hours, even if it means 2-3 hours driving to Rosslare and the same again when you get to the other side before you get to Swansea. My point is that the price was high. I know it's a bit like pricing Ryanair, the initial price is was people go for, add in the petrol and it might be closer to the mark. And no,thankfully I never had the "pleasure" of trying to fly with 3 kids under 5.

I'm not being critical, but your answer summarises, unfortunately the mindset of those who tried to run the ferry. The only advantage Cork-Swansea had over cork-rosslare-fishguard-swansea was less time driving, but a longer overall trip, weather dependant.
    If they had a more efficient ship, and concentrated on ro-ro freight rather than a fickle tourist market, they may have had more success.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

seanmacc wrote: »
    If anything is to come to Cork it will be the long proposed route to Spain. That route would be eligable for a grant/subsidy under the EU's "Highways of the Sea" plan. Although I believe if that was the case ICG may challenge such a subsidy as about 30% of their freight movements on the direct route to France go into Spain.

I was not aware there was ever plans for this,would make some sense.The last few years I have gone to France with Irish ferries and from talking to people on the boat a good chunk of them were heading down south in France or to Spain.

The amount of fish from Irish waters that is shipped direct to Spain by road is shocking. It's a long route though, probably over 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

The amount of fish from Irish waters that is shipped direct to Spain by road is shocking. It's a long route though, probably over 24 hours.
    I agree that the Cork - Spain route would be over 24 hours but the Rosslare - Cherbourg route is 16 hours at best then add in the drive from Cork - Rosslare + the drive from Cherbourg to Spain + a driver would have to take a daily rest period. If there was a Cork - Spain ferry the driver could have his weekly 24 hour break.
    The idea of the Cork - Spain ferry sounds like a good idea but IMO I don't think there would be enough freight traffic to justify it. I would also doubt that there would be enough tourist traffic in the peak season let alone in the off season. Of course I'm open to correction on any of the above, just my opinion, I don't have any hard facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Bagenal wrote: »
    I agree that the Cork - Spain route would be over 24 hours but the Rosslare - Cherbourg route is 16 hours at best then add in the drive from Cork - Rosslare + the drive from Cherbourg to Spain + a driver would have to take a daily rest period. If there was a Cork - Spain ferry the driver could have his weekly 24 hour break.
    The idea of the Cork - Spain ferry sounds like a good idea but IMO I don't think there would be enough freight traffic to justify it. I would also doubt that there would be enough tourist traffic in the peak season let alone in the off season. Of course I'm open to correction on any of the above, just my opinion, I don't have any hard facts.

The freight traffic would be there alright. There's already a massive lack of capacity on the direct route from Ireland to France for freight. A report I heard about over 30% of traffic going on the direct route to France ends up in Spain. But then again there may be no need to introduce a route to Spain if freight capacity directly into France was increased.

Long haul ferry routes are a risky venture in this day and age though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How long is the one from Plymouth...?I presume we would be looking at around the same time.

Advertisement