Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

All, any reason you are using the UK site over IE site? I have compared my specs on both and see minimal difference with exchange rate about 1.14.

Default specs for 4500 except removed windows, 16gb, backlit keyboard, metal palmrest, upgraded power cord, updated wireless.

I'm seeing £515 v €585 before any discount codes.

For discount codes, is it just the 10% newsletter sign-up one to use or are you using anything else? I make my specs above to cost e527 from Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxirl

BLUEYK wrote: »
    All, any reason you are using the UK site over IE site? I have compared my specs on both and see minimal difference with exchange rate about 1.14.

Default specs for 4500 except removed windows, 16gb, backlit keyboard, metal palmrest, upgraded power cord, updated wireless.

I'm seeing £515 v €585 before any discount codes.

For discount codes, is it just the 10% newsletter sign-up one to use or are you using anything else? I make my specs above to cost e527 from Irish store.

Use link on page 2 to get another 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

10% off works on the Irish site too....the Irish site was better for my config.....I think

you can get both the newsletter 10% discount and another 10% student or NHS discount (if you can get it to work) on the UK site

see hotukdeals thread for more / current details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

glasso wrote: »
    you can get both the newsletter 10% discount and another 10% student or NHS discount (if you can get it to work) on the UK site

see hotukdeals thread for more / current details

But you get 10% off and then you add the email 10% off on the Irish site. :confused:

or you did yesterday at least.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I see where I was going wrong, link and code on page 2 not working when using my tablet but working fine from my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Bought maxed out spec with Ryzen 7 for 630.

great takeup from this thread anyway, how many is that ordered from us alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

sapphade wrote: »
    EXCLUSIVEWRKIT!
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/ierewards/gatekeeper/showpage?toggle=PasscodeGateKeeper

that's the Irish store and passcode . hope it works for those interested

Had ordered through UK site before seeing your post. Cancelled and ordered on Irish instead. Saved me a Parcel Wizard fee, but more importantly, much more straight forward customer service I'd imagine for any issues.
    Also, seems to be dependant on what model you start with as to whether you are given an option of metal palmrest or not. Got it this time around anyway. Cheers to you and the OP.
    Went with mid range Ryzen 5 4500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, best screen and all the fiver specials! 95W USB C charging is a bargain, and WiFi upgrade essential for using 2.4 I think?
    All in, savage value at €498.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Anything similar going bargain wise that's:
    • i5 or i7 processor
    • 16Gb Ram
    • 15" screen
    • Trustworthy brand
    • Pretty lightweight/nothing bulky
    • Not an Apple laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

dos29 wrote: »
    Had ordered through UK site before seeing your post. Cancelled and ordered on Irish instead. Saved me a Parcel Wizard fee, but more importantly, much more straight forward customer service I'd imagine for any issues.
    Also, seems to be dependant on what model you start with as to whether you are given an option of metal palmrest or not. Got it this time around anyway. Cheers to you and the OP.
    Went with mid range Ryzen 5 4500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, best screen and all the fiver specials! 95W USB C charging is a bargain, and WiFi upgrade essential for using 2.4 I think?

Is the 95w usb c charging a must though? It means that you can't use it for anything else then?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Anything similar going bargain wise that's:

i5 or i7 processor

Why are you limiting yourself to a particular brand of processor?

If you remove this requirement then the laptops being discussed will suit your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Why are you limiting yourself to a particular brand of processor?

If you remove this requirement then the laptops being discussed will suit your needs.

i5 or i7 keeps getting mentioned as the minimum needed for the project I want to do on a new laptop

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    i5 or i7 keeps getting mentioned as the minimum needed for the project I want to do on a new laptop

It's likely being mentioned by people who don't know anything about processors. i5 and i7 are just particular processors by a particular company and have many generations that would not be considered great today. They are in no way special or superior compared to comparable AMD processors.

Thanks OP and other posters with advice. Below ordered from IE store at e474. Delighted with that.

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor (2.30GHz, Max Boost up to 4.00GHz, 6 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    Operating System : Free-DOS
    Operating System Language : Free-DOS
    Memory : 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Color : Graphite Grey
    Keyboard : Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment : Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest : Metal
    Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 70Wh
    Power Cord : 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless : Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

dos29 wrote: »

Get your refund yet? Still waiting, even for confirmation that the order is cancelled and that's two days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

glasso wrote: »
    don't forget the best screen option for colour accuracy. (last one on the list)

15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel

15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 2.6mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel

Is the 2.6mm much better than the 3.2mm (non touch) m8.
    I ordered the 3.2mm, just wondering is it worth cancelling and re ordering.?

Get your refund yet? Still waiting, even for confirmation that the order is cancelled and that's two days ago

Haven't got it yet, took a bit of a chance.
    According to an earlier post by Francobegbie, it was acknowledged as cancelled within 3 days having cancelled the day after ordering. I'm in a similar boat, but ordered Wednesday night, cancelled Thursday, but did it by phone and recorded the agent telling me I'm free to order on Irish site. Cheeky, considering I had ordered from Irish site just beforehand!

15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel

15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 2.6mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel

Is the 2.6mm much better than the 3.2mm (non touch) m8.
    I ordered the 3.2mm, just wondering is it worth cancelling and re ordering.?

On the HotUKDeals chat someone mentioned the colour gamut specs. Can't find them now, but I think it was something like 46%/48% for all the 3.2mm, and high 90's%, maybe 100%, for the 2.6mm.
    Don't go by me though, I'm going by someone else's recommendation.

Is the 95w usb c charging a must though? It means that you can't use it for anything else then?

Do you mean can't use the Type C for anything other than charging while charging?
    Can plug it out if I need that connection, and 2 x USB 3.1 should do for almost anything I need I'd say. Flexibility of only needing a Type C for power suits me if that works out how I hope it does, and fast charge suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My last laptop is getting on a bit so decided to go for a new one. Picked up the below for €432. I got the unidays discount through my sister and 10% discount from the newsletter. I think it would have cost €513 without the discounts. It's just for the basics. Won't be doing anything fancy on it.

Processor  -  AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Processor (2.70GHz, Max Boost up to 3.70GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache)
    Operating System  -  Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language  -  Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Productivity Software  -  Microsoft Office Trial
    Memory  -  8GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive  -  256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display  -  15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 250nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card  -  Integrated Graphics
    Color  -  Platinum Grey
    Keyboard  -  Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera  -  720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment  -  Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader  -  Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest  -  PC/ABS
    Battery  -  4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 70Wh
    Power Cord  -  95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless  -  Wireless 2x2 AC, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack  -  Publication-English
    Warranty  -  1 Year Courier or Carry-in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

My last laptop is getting on a bit so decided to go for a new one. Picked up the below for €432. I got the unidays discount through my sister and 10% discount from the newsletter. I think it would have cost €513 without the discounts. It's just for the basics. Won't be doing anything fancy on it.

Processor  -  AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Processor (2.70GHz, Max Boost up to 3.70GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache)
    Operating System  -  Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language  -  Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Productivity Software  -  Microsoft Office Trial
    Memory  -  8GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive  -  256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display  -  15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, Anti-glare, 3.2mm Thickness, 250nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphic Card  -  Integrated Graphics
    Color  -  Platinum Grey
    Keyboard  -  Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera  -  720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Surface Treatment  -  Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader  -  Fingerprint Reader
    Palmrest  -  PC/ABS
    Battery  -  4 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 70Wh
    Power Cord  -  95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
    Wireless  -  Wireless 2x2 AC, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    Language Pack  -  Publication-English
    Warranty  -  1 Year Courier or Carry-in

What's the "unidays" discount and how does one get it? I'm a bit confused as to how many discounts you can apply and don't want to miss out on one.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

bfa1509 wrote: »
    What's the "unidays" discount and how does one get it? I'm a bit confused as to how many discounts you can apply and don't want to miss out on one.

Unidays is a discounts website for students. If you know any third level students they might be able to sort you out with one.

I don't suppose anyone has a spare unidays code they don't need?
    Also, the metal palmrest option appears to be gone. Had one in my cart overnight but its 30 dearer than one without now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Unidays is a discounts website for students. If you know any third level students they might be able to sort you out with one.

I see, thanks. I just noticed that it only allows one ecoupon per purchase anyway. I have already applied the email subscription coupon.

Managed to get a unidays code from a UK student but it doesn't work here. The UK codes are generic. I'm assuming that the Irish ones aren't.

Managed to get a unidays code from a UK student but it doesn't work here. The UK codes are generic. I'm assuming that the Irish ones aren't.

My sister's code worked on the UK Lenovo education store and not the Irish one for some reason even though she is based in Ireland. Order from the UK education store and do Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizzard. Pay with Curve or Revolut. That's what I did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

It's likely being mentioned by people who don't know anything about processors. i5 and i7 are just particular processors by a particular company and have many generations that would not be considered great today. They are in no way special or superior compared to comparable AMD processors.

Agreed. But I'd go one further.

The current generation of AMD processors are more powerful per clock and per watt, run cooler, and have more cores and threads at any price point than their intel equivalents.

They are superior chips in pretty much every way.

My sister's code worked on the UK Lenovo education store and not the Irish one for some reason even though she is based in Ireland. Order from the UK education store and do Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizzard. Pay with Curve or Revolut. That's what I did anyway.

Just tried that, it was 60 euro more expensive than here plus parcel motel and the code still didn't work. They must've plugged the double discount.

• Advertisement

For those wondering on codes, which site, etc, the link to the Irish rewards store on page 2 I found best to use. The rewards store auto gives 10% off and then when you spec your machine and put it in your basket apply the emag sign up 10% discount code. No need to worry about unidays, UK site or PM that way. I was confused with this myself yesterday and other posters helped me out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement