Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Its not 200 fans either, its 200 people total and afaik about 100 will be accounted for by both teams, mentors, officials, stewards etc leaving 100 for both sets of fans. My local club's first cship game on Aug 2nd and after season ticket holders are catered for there will be 25 tickets is what im hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭shmeee

Out of curiosity, was there any reluctance from your club in streaming the game? As I am sure you are aware, sometimes club videos can be guarded very closely as they worry about opponents getting their hands on it. Thankfully, this is changing now, more slowly in some clubs than others.

None, and the opposition team also recorded the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

<snip> Interesting to see no comments from you on the lack of social distancing in Walkinstown today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ReginaldSmythV and JoeBloggs32 interesting to see no comments from you on the lack of social distancing in Walkinstown today

Only catching up now.
    It was ridiculous.
    There ya go

I presume it was organised on Facebook or other social media platforms without anyone really in charge.

I'm all for 500 going into a match, but it needs to be done safely and properly. No half measures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

This thread has been quite peaceful since the start but it took a turn yesterday and a number of posts were deleted.
    Please stop getting pissy with each other just because people have different opinions.

• Advertisement

<snip> Interesting to see no comments from you on the lack of social distancing in Walkinstown today

I was working. I can’t make comments on things while I’m driving a car for 4 hours but regardless, I can’t imagine how you’d fathom someone who doesn’t think 500 at a match is a good idea would be in favour of a disorganised protest. So no, there’s nothing “interesting” about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The GAA are talking a good game alright. They have plenty of procedures and protocols in place to cover themselves but the reality on the ground is they are being ignored in most clubs and not implemented. In typical GAA fashion it's all turning into a nod and a wink set up.

I'm covid supervisor for teams in both Camogie & Football. The amount of non compliance and disregard among visiting and guest clubs is shockin. We try to do things fairly on the button but it's patently obvious from the behaviour of the players and mentors from visiting teams that nothing is being done at club level.

We went to a few clubs for challenges and even basic things like sanitiser is non-existant and social distancing doesn't exist either.
    A visiting team arrived at our club for a challenge. We were all set up ready. I asked the coach who and where was their Covid supervisor was, his answer was who?:rolleyes: The players rolled their eyes when given sanitiser.

A ref at our Camogie on Wednesday evening told us that he reffed a game the evening before and had to warn both clubs about their non compliance. Crammed into dugouts and the cardinal sin af sharing waterbottles provided by the coaches. Both teams continued to do it.

John Horan spoke very well on the Sunday Game a few months back but lately it's full steam ahead.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The GAA are talking a good game alright. They have plenty of procedures and protocols in place to cover themselves but the reality on the ground is they are being ignored in most clubs and not implemented. In typical GAA fashion it's all turning into a nod and a wink set up.

I'm covid supervisor for teams in both Camogie & Football. The amount of non compliance and disregard among visiting and guest clubs is shockin. We try to do things fairly on the button but it's patently obvious from the behaviour of the players and mentors from visiting teams that nothing is being done at club level.

We went to a few clubs for challenges and even basic things like sanitiser is non-existant and social distancing doesn't exist either.
    A visiting team arrived at our club for a challenge. We were all set up ready. I asked the coach who and where was their Covid supervisor was, his answer was who?:rolleyes: The players rolled their eyes when given sanitiser.

A ref at our Camogie on Wednesday evening told us that he reffed a game the evening before and had to warn both clubs about their non compliance. Crammed into dugouts and the cardinal sin af sharing waterbottles provided by the coaches. Both teams continued to do it.

John Horan spoke very well on the Sunday Game a few months back but lately it's full steam ahead.

You’ve everyone involved that has any sort of a voice in the media just backing up this behaviour anyway, looking for exceptions to be made and crying the poor mouth. So no wonder it’s happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Really hate when people present anecdotal evidence of about 3 examples and say that guidelines are being ignored "by most".

An awful lot of clubs have done a huge amount of work to accommodate teams in a manner compliant with the guidelines. That is on top of the normal activities of the club, all of which have to be done in a compressed timeframe and as always carried out on an entirely voluntary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Really hate when people present anecdotal evidence of about 3 examples and say that guidelines are being ignored "by most".

An awful lot of clubs have done a huge amount of work to accommodate teams in a manner compliant with the guidelines. That is on top of the normal activities of the club, all of which have to be done in a compressed timeframe and as always carried out on an entirely voluntary basis.

I could list more if you like and it's not anecdotal...I have it all documented and sent into the club executive and these non-compliance reports from our other coaches and supervisors. Next step for me is to send all to Croke Park but I know I'm wasting my time.

You're right though. there are plenty of clubs like ours doing everything right but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Even our own club we can see complacency creeping in but it's nipped in the bud.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I could list more if you like and it's not anecdotal...I have it all documented and sent into the club executive and these non-compliance reports from our other coaches and supervisors. Next step for me is to send all to Croke Park but I know I'm wasting my time.

You're right though. there are plenty of clubs like ours doing everything right but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Even our own club we can see complacency creeping in but it's nipped in the bud.

No fairplay you should follow up on it, especially if a club doesn't have a Covid supervisor. My gripe was just the "most" thing, and in fairness in your case it was probably just a turn of phrase. But I see too many people saying thing's like that when a lot of people are putting in an extraordinary effort to keep things open and safe at the same time. Yourself included from what I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

shmeee wrote: »
    All went off without a hitch, streamed to Facebook live and held up nicely. Ended up getting a power adapter for the laptop that plugged into the car and gave it a charge up midway through the game.

We needed to get a Video Capture Card for the laptop and then encoded the video via OBS and onto Facebook. Used a Eir phone as a hotspot and it worked without any lag, which was a surprise. Over 2,000 views.

Any particular reason why you used the laptop and not a phone running the Facebook app for a live broadcast?

Has anyone done anything useful with ticketing systems like Eventbrite for managing the 200 attendee limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭shmeee

Any particular reason why you used the laptop and not a phone running the Facebook app for a live broadcast?

Has anyone done anything useful with ticketing systems like Eventbrite for managing the 200 attendee limit?

Because we had a HD camera as the video source, not a camera on a phone. A phone camera wouldn't be near the same quality. A few clubs I see used the app and only for a bit of commentary from the lad holding the phone (not even on a tripod) you won't make out what was actually going on.

Tipperary GAA run all their club tickets through Future Ticketing webiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

With the news of GAA club games not allowed 500 in attendance until 3 weeks at least i won't be surprised if HQ call the 2020 inter county season off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

With the news of GAA club games not allowed 500 in attendance until 3 weeks at least i won't be surprised if HQ call the 2020 inter county season off now.

Ya looks that way theres no way they will run the championship behind closed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

naughto wrote: »
    Ya looks that way theres no way they will run the championship behind closed doors

There would be no point.

Gate receipts are the main revenue driver.

How are the counties going to meet the cost of preparing teams with no revenue?

A very disappointing outcome when we needed a bit of a boost to keep the morale of the country on the up once the summer comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

BPKS wrote: »
    There would be no point.

Gate receipts are the main revenue driver.

How are the counties going to meet the cost of preparing teams with no revenue?

A very disappointing outcome when we needed a bit of a boost to keep the morale of the country on the up once the summer comes to an end.
    If there was no gate revenue games would have to be shown on tv and subscription charge at nominal fee for games could help cover costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

If there was no gate revenue games would have to be shown on tv and subscription charge at nominal fee for games could help cover costs.
    I think once they're allowed to run a championship by government regulations they will, imagine the uproar if a championship was allowed to be run even with reduced or no crowd and the opportunity was passed, a behind closed doors championship is far better than no championship in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Little or no chance HQ are going to run with a behind closed doors championship. One of the prime reasons why the All-Ireland senior championship has been pushed back to November is the hope that 1000s would be allowed to attend games by then. That's highly unlikely to happen now unless A) vaccine arrives or B) the government stop making overly cautious decisions.

What I could see played with restricted capacities this winter is the U21 championship (3 games to play) NFL (2 rounds to play) and the minor championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd take a behind closed doors championship and its something the players deserve for all there effort before lockdown

Untimely its the suites who will make the decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think it will need to be behind closed doors. No chance in hell that GAA grounds in term of accessing and exiting could be done 100% safely... also the social aspects of the ‘day out’ too, it would be impossible to curtail...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just waiting for a lockdown for Dublin then we can proceed with championship

Just waiting for a lockdown for Dublin then we can proceed with championship

In fairness, they already had one for 3 months as did all of us

I wonder will Moneygall gaa club be able to compete in Tipperary over the next few weeks.
    As Moneygall is in Offaly, even though they compete in Tipperary, playing games there would mean the players would be going against the advice of the Government for residents of Offaly to limit their activities to within their own counties for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I wonder will Moneygall gaa club be able to compete in Tipperary over the next few weeks.
    As Moneygall is in Offaly, even though they compete in Tipperary, playing games there would mean the players would be going against the advice of the Government for residents of Offaly to limit their activities to within their own counties for the next two weeks.

A definite no as such sporting activities would be considered non essential travel.

seligehgit wrote: »
    A definite no as such sporting activities would be considered non essential travel.

The gaa announced a shutdown for all Laois, Offaly and Kildare GAA clubs as of midnight last night. All pitches closed. Not even non contact training allowed.
    Within seconds of the government announcement yesterday, Offaly GAA instantly cancelled all fixtures, even those due yesterday evening at 7.00.
    However, a look on social media showed Moneygall played a Junior B fixture yesterday evening. Now that was OK as it was before midnight, but it will be interesting to see what happens going forward from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Why do they compete in Tipp and not Offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why do they compete in Tipp and not Offaly?
    village straddles the border but the clubs pitches are in tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

aah yes, I know of similar situations near where I am. It is an interesting point. Hard to see how they can actually let them compete in Tipp championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

So the lads who live in Tipp can play but not the lads in Offaly?!

Advertisement