Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Greece, Malta, Crete and Cyprus which ticks the most of these boxes ... ?

• 04-08-2020 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Edit: Crete should say Croatia in title, if a Mod can edit

I'm looking to stay long term in one of these 4 places for upto 6 months, likely early November to early April

Out of Greece, Malta, Croatia and Cyprus which one ticks the most of these boxes, keeping in mind that in these Covid times I won't be staying in a shared room

Cheap! Both for accommodation and food. I'm not a huge drinker so I'll save money there. It's for 6 months so I need to stretch my cash as far as possible. This is among the most important factors in my choice

Warm - one of the main reasons I'll be leaving Ireland is to get away from the Winter. I'd normally do this in South East Asia, but that's not looking like it'll be back open any time soon. 15 Celcius and above is ok. 25 Celcius would be even better

Greece, for example, looks beautiful and cost effective. But their Winters are cold I think?

EIHC cover - are all four countries covered with EIHC? No travel insurance company, last I checked, is covering Covid

Country must have Covid reasonably under control so far - I understand this is a very dynamic thing, what is now won't be the same in November. But I'd like to know that wherever I choose has had a good/great track record so far

Other things that'll factor into my choice include:
    • Nice locals
    • Great (and cheap!) local food. I love things like outdoor Night Markets. I'm hoping these things are safer by November
    • The usual reasons we all love travel, like: great scenery, clean beaches etc

It doesn't really matter which of the above is on the Green List, by November I expect all four countries will be. And if they're not, I'll do 2 weeks of quarantine on my return

My plan is to find one nice base and not move around too much in these times

So far I'm loving the look of Malta

Thanks

PS - I'm be interested in the The Balkans too if they tick enough of the boxes above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Firstly, there’s only 3 countries in your list. Crete is not a country, it’s an island of Greece.

The Greek Cycladic islands are pretty cheap, as long as you stay away from Santorini or Mykonos. I’d assume Crete is similar.

You won’t get 25+ daily in Winter in any of your 3 countries.

The EHIC would be accepted in all, with the exception of Turkish Cyprus, though presumably you want to stay in the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Firstly, there’s only 3 countries in your list. Crete is not a country, it’s an island of Greece.

The Greek Cycladic islands are pretty cheap, as long as you stay away from Santorini or Mykonos. I’d assume Crete is similar.

The EHIC would be accepted in all, with the exception of Turkish Cyprus, though presumably you want to stay in the other side.

Crete should say Croatia, bit of a typo there
    I'm looking for 15 Celcius minimum if possible. I said 25 would be nice but it's not essential

I'll do some more research on the The Greek Cycladic islands, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Crete should say Croatia, bit of a typo there

I'm looking for 15 Celcius minimum if possible. I said 25 would be nice but it's not essential

I'll do some more research on the The Greek Cycladic islands, cheers
    Croatia is pretty cheap too by the way

Greece, Malta & Croatia are not warm in the winter. You mention the Balkans, definitely not warm, can go as low as -20 in some bad winters.
    Which leaves Cyprus, not hot, but warmer then the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If you are staying more than 90 days in Greece you need to register for a residency permit. Have a Google on the requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cyprus... drive on the same side of the road as here.
    Nicosia is a pretty international capital and always busy year round.
    Everyone speaks good English there.
    Rent is 1/4 the price of Dublin.

Malta... One of the most densely populated countries in the EU.
    - Too Crowded!

Crete - Well unless you plan on living in Heraklion it's pretty much a farming/Tourism driven island outside of the city.. So smaller towns like Chania or Rethymno would be very quiet during the winter months.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    If you are staying more than 90 days in Greece you need to register for a residency permit. Have a Google on the requirements.

Thanks for the heads up

How strict is it adhered to? Maybe a quick hop to a nearby country, stay there a few days and then fly back to Greece would renew it for another 90 days?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Cyprus... drive on the same side of the road as here.
    Nicosia is a pretty international capital and always busy year round.
    Everyone speaks good English there.

Malta... One of the most densely populated countries in the EU.
    - Too Crowded!

Crete - Well unless you plan on living in Heraklion it's pretty much a farming/Tourism driven island outside of the city.. So smaller towns like Chania or Rethymno would be very quiet during the winter months.

Thanks for the feedback

I've highlighted your comment re: Malta above. Densely populated places aren't a good thing in these times

But I've just Google'd their figures there, they've had just 890 cases from a population of a Million. With very rough Maths applied that's a quarter of the cases per capita compared to Ireland

There's something lovely looking about Malta that has it in the lead so far for me. it's size makes it look like a nice place to chill for a few months

Their January weather is showing an average high of 16 degrees Celsius and a low of 9 degrees, I'm presuming the 9 degrees showing on Google is at night. Both temps are a huge improvement over an Irish Winter

I've highlighted your comment re: Malta above. Densely populated places aren't a good thing in these times
    But I've just Google'd their figures there, they've had just 890 cases from a population of a Million. With very rough Maths applied that's a quarter of the cases per capita compared to Ireland
    There's something lovely looking about Malta that has it in the lead so far for me. it's size makes it look like a nice place to chill for a few months
    Their January weather is showing an average high of 16 degrees Celsius and a low of 9 degrees, I'm presuming the 9 degrees showing on Google is at night. Both temps are a huge improvement over an Irish Winter

Also keep in mind there's A LOT of refugees there arriving on boats daily or awaiting to be processed to get into the EU, around 10,000+ from what I remember last so the population is increasing on an already crowded island.

It's fine for a holiday, but for something more long term i'd prefer the Greek Islands/Cyprus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Also keep in mind there's A LOT of refugees there arriving on boats daily or awaiting to be processed to get into the EU, around 100,000+ from what I remember last so the population is increasing on an already crowded island.

It's fine for a holiday, but for something more long term i'd prefer the Greek Islands/Cyprus...
    100,000? Ouch!
    Their own population is only 500,000, with highest populaiton density in Europe for a country.

Many of the ticks another mentioned for Cyrus could better suit Malta e.g.

Drive on the same side of the road as here (even have ire/uk 3pin plug sockets)
    Valetta is a pretty international capital and always busy year round.
    Everyone speaks (very) good English there.
    Slightly shorter flight time also than Greece.

• Advertisement

100,000? Ouch!
    Their own population is only 500,000, with highest populaiton density in Europe for a country.
    Many of the ticks another mentioned for Cyrus could better suit Malta e.g.
    Drive on the same side of the road as here (even have ire/uk 3pin plug sockets)
    Valetta is a pretty international capital and always busy year round.
    Everyone speaks (very) good English there.
    Slightly shorter flight time also than Greece.

Sorry, think I added too many zero's it's more like 10k

Per capita Malta have 20 refugees per 1,000 inhabitants. Just below Sweden and South Sudan but just above Djibouti.

It's a highly populated island so accommodation would be expensive if you want something a bit more central to Valletta.

Traffic is also a major Nightmare on the Island, you will need the use of a car to get around so if you think Dublin traffic is bad... wait til you see around Valletta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sorry, think I added too many zero's it's more like 10k
    Per capita Malta have 20 refugees per 1,000 inhabitants. Just below Sweden and South Sudan but just above Djibouti.
    It's a highly populated island so accommodation would be expensive if you want something a bit more central to Valletta.
    Traffic is also a major Nightmare on the Island, you will need the use of a car to get around so if you think Dublin traffic is bad... wait til you see around Valletta...
    Sounds more like it, but still a high number, Italy has closed it's doors so that 1000:20 ratio will likely only increase in the future, to the detriment of Malta.

Traffic isn't too bad, besides the regular buses cost next to nothing per week for commutes, the only traffic concern is the driving. Some really wreckless drivers, and folks that ended up worse for wear after their rented moped met up with the typical white taxi driver. Weather is ideal for walking anyway.

Traffic isn't too bad, besides the regular buses cost next to nothing per week for commutes, the only traffic concern is the driving. Some really wreckless drivers, and folks that ended up worse for wear after their rented moped met up with the typical white taxi driver. Weather is ideal for walking anyway.

Drivers are nuts but with the volume of traffic around Valletta you can understand.. though there's a new bridge/motorway/bypass near the airport which should be finished by now.

I wouldn't get the busses over there at the best of times, and certainly not these days, the busses while cheap are very popular with the new residents over there...

Not sure where these festival owner's heads were at tbh
    Malta festivals cancelled due to rise in Covid-19 cases

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53642430

Has anyone here been to Malta?

Gozo in particular looks stunning. I think I'll give the famous Blue Lagoon a miss though. Even recent videos show it extremely crowded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I spend a lot of time in Cyprus including in winter. You can get Irish summer type days all year round, but the sun starts to go down from about 2.30/3pm and it gets colder. Buildings are not really set up for winter either in general, poorly insulated and no central heating in many cases. You can also get cold and rain, and it snows in the mountains.

Has managed Covid relatively well, although cases are gone back up this week.

I'm not sure what it would be like to move there short term alone though. The locals are nice but not sure how approachable they are to outsiders. You do have a lot of expats but these are more in Limassol or Paphos than Nicosia. I wouldn't advise the Ayia Napa side of the island outside of tourist season, quite dead.

Food is very good although I get fed up of it after a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Gozo in particular looks stunning. I think I'll give the famous Blue Lagoon a miss though. Even recent videos show it extremely crowded

Don't go to Gozo. It's one of the best places in the whole world and I want it all for myself eventually, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP are you going to be working remotely during this six months or just kicking back relaxing? If working then a good internet connection is going to be important so something else to think about.

And do you intend to rent an apartment and stay in the same spot for the entire six months or move about locations? If the latter then I would Croatia has the most variety as I think sitting on a small island for 6 months would drive me stir crazy. Malta is tiny and you would drive around the whole island easily in a day with not a whole lot to see.

If it is proper winter heat you want then the countries listed will have their warm days in winter but not really warm. Its also winter so they'll be dark around 6-7pm or so. If heat is the main consideration along with staying in the EU then the Canary Islands are way down off the coast of Africa and would see higher temperatures than the others. Thousands of apartments will be lying empty on the islands like Gran Canaria and Lanzarote so it wont be difficult to find something for cheap.

If you would go outside the EU but not to SE Asia then Id look to somewhere in Africa that is dirt cheap like Malawi which has lots of tourist facilities on Lake Malawi where you could kick back and live for cheap. Another option could be Argentina, they're going through an economic collapse at the moment so things will be cheap there too. Buenos Aires a great city that is very European in feel.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Don't go to Gozo. It's one of the best places in the whole world and I want it all for myself eventually, thank you very much.

;)

It's beautiful looking online

Thanks to the rest of the replies, some great facts in there and I'll reply to you later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Pre-covid: about every 6 weeks for work. Ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Malta is small, Cyprus is big enough to have some variety and you can to the North for further variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I have and if you are not a partygoer it is a nightmare. Extremely overcrowded anywhere you go. Without a doubt the worst place I ever visited.

Go to the south of Greece. Anything on the Peloponnesus is good, from Corinth in the North to Kalamata in the South.

bigar wrote: »
    Without a doubt the worst place I ever visited.

Wow, you're the first person online or off I've seen to say they didn't love Malta

I appreciate what you're saying about it's density in terms of population and tourists though. It certainly needs a lot of consideration in 2020

Wow, you're the first person online or off I've seen to say they didn't love Malta

I appreciate what you're saying about it's density in terms of population and tourists though. It certainly needs a lot of consideration in 2020

My mother, in her 60s didn't like it. Also, my cousin & her partner, 40s didn't like it either.
    I'm not really sure why.
    I haven't been

My cousin has a house in Cyprus and locals are absolutely 100% fine with foreigners/outsiders. In fact they feel very safe leaving their house abandoned as they have good neighbours keeping an eye etc. They have t been over in ages due to Covid, but don't worry about the place. I have been over in October and it has been pretty hot at times then, but prone to thunderstorms which I don't like, which is why I tend to keep to Canaries for off-season warmth.

Personally I’d opt for Puglia.

Southern Italy ticks all of your boxes, has very friendly locals, excellent scenery and friendly locals and IMO the best food you will find anywhere in Europe.

Hell of a lot cheaper than the rest of Italy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Before I went friends warned me that is was bad but I went anyway. Big mistake!

You do have the attraction that when it rains, all roads turn into rivers and water seeps through the walls bordering the road. It is almost like a wild water ride in your own car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is this a semi permanent move Shine?, were discussing it here, if we're moving want it to be mainly English speaking and good work opportunities hopefully somewhere with multinationals.
    All depends on winter here and how it goes... concerned it'll be a mess and will want to move to a warner climate for the kids and our own quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I spent some winters in Southern Italy (very close to Greece) and I guarantee you it can be way colder than Ireland with heavy snows. Greece is about the same weather, Croatia? Even colder as it is close to Northern Italy. Why not look at Cape Verde? If you are a man you would have easy fun there. Summer all year round, very cheap country and safe. And not too far.

Is this a semi permanent move Shine?, were discussing it here, if we're moving want it to be mainly English speaking and good work opportunities hopefully somewhere with multinationals.
    All depends on winter here and how it goes... concerned it'll be a mess and will want to move to a warner climate for the kids and our own quality of life.

Not so much a semi permanent move Monkey, more a "this Winter in Ireland is going to be horrible if I stay - so let's leave!" ;)

The research continues and I've added Alicante as an option if Spain get their act together over the next 2 months (and I think all of EU will)

I try these days to never to repeat a country and I always want to see new ones, so Spain wasn't even a thought as I've been several times. But then I randomly saw a travel vlogger's 20 min video of it on YouTube and it looks very, very nice. I then put it into the Air BnB app and central private rooms are showing for as little as 10-12 euros a night

Lots to think about and research (including Cape Verde) and thanks for the suggestions so far

More input welcome. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement