Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is this townland please?

• 22-07-2020 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I am trying to find this townland but I cannot read it. Can you translate for me please?.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Townland image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

enfield wrote: »
    Townland image
    Not sure but I went on a random Internet search and found this site. Scrool down to find a huge list of town lands listed alphabetically. Might help, but hopefully someone will give a more helpful answer than this for you.

https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/

Thank you JP, much appreciated. I did try that site but nothing suitable in there.
    Thank you for trying.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lollipop19

Is it Corristoona? Have you any further information that might help identify it?

Thank you Liolliopop. Corristoona sounds good!
    This man died in 1921, and I cannot find him in any Census 1901. No clues as to where he was born but he was buried in deans Grange Cemetery. I tried online to see if there was an image of his headstone without success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lollipop19

Corristoona is near Ballintubber, Castlerea if that's of any help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thank you Liolliopop. Corristoona sounds good!
    This man died in 1921, and I cannot find him in any Census 1901. No clues as to where he was born but he was buried in deans Grange Cemetery. I tried online to see if there was an image of his headstone without success.

Go onto the regional section on here and ask someone around deans grange to walk the cemetery if they are near it and see can they find the headstone and send you a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Go onto the regional section on here and ask someone around deans grange to walk the cemetery if they are near it and see can they find the headstone and send you a picture.

You'd want a pretty good map?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

DublinCJM wrote: »
    You'd want a pretty good map?

The locals would have a good idea.

Thank you everyone, great ideas altogether. I would never have found Corrastoona without Lollipops suggestion. It is a hard place to find. They are listed in the 1901 Census but not in 1911 for some reason.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Ballintober/Corrastoona_More/761810/
    Thank you all again for all your help.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thank you everyone, great ideas altogether. I would never have found Corrastoona without Lollipops suggestion. It is a hard place to find. They are listed in the 1901 Census but not in 1911 for some reason.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Ballintober/Corrastoona_More/761810/
    Thank you all again for all your help.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

If you have a name and date of death ( even approx) the cemetery office staff should be able to pinpoint the grave location

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

The locals would have a good idea.

I've lots of relatives buried there. It's a massive cemetery. You'd need to know where you were looking.

Though it sounds like the staff could pinpoint it from an above post.

Advertisement