Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Round up

• 14-07-2020 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How much roundup will I need for 5 acres.

Reseeding the silage field after the 2nd cut.

Want to spray in with in the next few days and cut end of next week.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

Data sheets for all sprays are readily available online.

Roundup:
    https://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/documents/?document=1414

Application rate depends on what variant of Roundup you have/is available to you. eg it's 4.5l/ha in 150-250l of water for Roundup Flex:
    https://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/media/2018/roundup-flex-quick-guidevs1.pdf
    So that would work out at just over 9 litres of Roundup Flex for 5 acres.

And you don't have to get Roundup - any generic brand of glyphosate will do the same job for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious to find out this morning at my local Glanbia, the new and quite bizzare rule about purchasing Round up. I normally get a 5 litre drum, lasts me around 2 years @ €40. So this morning the guys informed me that I now need a Herd Number to purchase the 5 litre drum but if I don't have one, I can buy the 2 litre drum for €36, this is absolutely bonkers, same product, is this an Irish Rule to an Irish problem I wondered.

I'm not doubting the great team at Glanbia, so I have an Irish Solution to an Irish problem, My great farming neighbour got the 5 litres using his herd number, crazy world we live in

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just curious to find out this morning at my local Glanbia, the new and quite bizzare rule about purchasing Round up. I normally get a 5 litre drum, lasts me around 2 years @ €40. So this morning the guys informed me that I now need a Herd Number to purchase the 5 litre drum but if I don't have one, I can buy the 2 litre drum for €36, this is absolutely bonkers, same product, is this an Irish Rule to an Irish problem I wondered.

I'm not doubting the great team at Glanbia, so I have an Irish Solution to an Irish problem, My great farming neighbour got the 5 litres using his herd number, crazy world we live in

5l drum is classified as professional use only.
    Professional use means you need the pesticides spraying course completed.

If you’ve not go the course completed then you can’t buy it on a professional basis.

As far as I know there is no restriction on who does the course. Probably about €260

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What will end up happening will be your neighbour will be asked to show his records of where he sprayed or disposed the sprays they bought. If it doesnt tally with the records of purchases there'll be bigger questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

e200 for the course , im booked in on

Bought last Gallop up the north. €22.50 for the 1 gallon drum, absolute no questions asked.

Last year I was spraying a few weeds at home and running out and herself went to local hardware to get a drum. Lad said no to her as she hadn't the herd no. I called him and told him sure didn't you sell her fertiliser and silage wrap.

Actually the silage bale plastic recycling crowd now want your herd number and not the 6/7 digit plastic number

_Brian wrote: »
    5l drum is classified as professional use only.
    Professional use means you need the pesticides spraying course completed.

If you’ve not go the course completed then you can’t buy it on a professional basis.

As far as I know there is no restriction on who does the course. Probably about €260

• Advertisement

e200 for the course , im booked in on

Bought last Gallop up the north. €22.50 for the 1 gallon drum, absolute no questions asked.

Last year I was spraying a few weeds at home and running out and herself went to local hardware to get a drum. Lad said no to her as she hadn't the herd no. I called him and told him she didn't you sell her fertiliser and silage wrap.

I can understand restrictions on use but it's a farce to permit a customer without a herd number purchase a 2 litre drum for €36 and not a 5 litre drum for €40, if the intention is to restrict usage for non industrial use, then don't permit any purchase of it without a herd number. What's to stop someone being stupid enough to purchase 2 x 2 litres for €58 without a herd number. Just silly I think, I got around this rule with a helpful neighbour and his herd number.

ganmo wrote: »
    What will end up happening will be your neighbour will be asked to show his records of where he sprayed or disposed the sprays they bought. If it doesnt tally with the records of purchases there'll be bigger questions asked.

Who is going to ask? We have never once been asked for anything like that.

Agreed, I seriously doubt a farmer with 100s of acres is going to be questioned over a 5 litre of round up, just sillyness, as stated I use 5 litres over 2 years, it's not the quantity I'm questioning it's the absurdity of consumers with no herd number being told no to 5 litres, but yes (show me the money) to 2 litres at twice the price and no herd number required.

I can understand restrictions on use but it's a farce to permit a customer without a herd number purchase a 2 litre drum for €36 and not a 5 litre drum for €40, if the intention is to restrict usage for non industrial use, then don't permit any purchase of it without a herd number. What's to stop someone being stupid enough to purchase 2 x 2 litres for €58 without a herd number. Just silly I think, I got around this rule with a helpful neighbour and his herd number.

Charging more for smaller quantities actually restricts its usage.

Technically yes but in reality no if its so simple to get around the intended restriction, it's seems to me its more about price gouging although, I also discovered price gouging on an epic scale in woodies, 1 litre, yes I litre €60, its quite a mad world we live in, off to spray now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Gallup is the same ingredients at half the price

My auld lad got bought a 5 gallon drum of gallop in Mullingar 2 years ago for €80 no questions asked. Reckons at 58 years old at the time it will see him out .

My auld lad got bought a 5 gallon drum of gallop in Mullingar 2 years ago for €80 no questions asked. Reckons at 58 years old at the time it will see him out .

Brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's already on bord bia inspections and with proper tracking of who's buying it will likely be, or already is, on department cross compliance inspections as well

Agreed, I seriously doubt a farmer with 100s of acres is going to be questioned over a 5 litre of round up, just sillyness, as stated I use 5 litres over 2 years, it's not the quantity I'm questioning it's the absurdity of consumers with no herd number being told no to 5 litres, but yes (show me the money) to 2 litres at twice the price and no herd number required.

yes he might not be questioned about one 5L drum, but if he does it too many times his SFP might get a bit nervous

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's already on bord bia inspections and with proper tracking of who's buying it will likely be, or already is, on department cross compliance inspections as well

Not everyone is on board bia and 5 litres is nothing when spraying land, we are going through gallons of it every year as we are reseeding the farm step by step. Just point at any field you sprayed and say it was used in that.

We have had one inspection in recent times and were asked for nothing about sprays, wouldn’t have had anything to show then if they had bar empty drums and reseeded fields.

Not everyone is on board bia and 5 litres is nothing when spraying land, we are going through gallons of it every year as we are reseeding the farm step by step. Just point at any field you sprayed and say it was used in that.

We have had one inspection in recent times and were asked for nothing about sprays, wouldn’t have had anything to show then if they had bar empty drums and reseeded fields.

the dept have started inspecting at the top, importers and distributors can only sell to registered retailers, that happened over the last year. The next step will be to follow a batch of spray down through the system to a field.

This WILL happen. Don't get caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

What percentage of farmers are currently compliant?

How many have completed the PU course? How many have a sprayer that’s been tested and in compliance? I suspect the number is low enough for the average beef farmer, maybe a little better for dairy and better again for tillage.

893bet wrote: »

How many have completed the PU course? How many have a sprayer that’s been tested and in compliance? I suspect the number is low enough for the average beef farmer, maybe a little better for dairy and better again for tillage.

I've done the course, hardy boom sprayer hasn't been used so not gonna get it tested, all spraying has been done by knapsack.

ps anyone looking for a 200L hardy sprayer :P

Im finally getting to do my course next month, over 2 years and 5 cancelled courses since I looked into it

I don't know any one around me that tests sprayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Course done and sprayer tested. Would only use it 4 or 5 times in the year usually but prefer to have it right.
    Got it all sorted to do a bit of hire but when lads expect you to put on twice the recommended dose of chemicals and there is no persuading them otherwise I knocked that idea on the head.

"Sure a double dose will kill them better surely" was one guys mantra

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Course done and sprayer tested. Would only use it 4 or 5 times in the year usually but prefer to have it right.
    Got it all sorted to do a bit of hire but when lads expect you to put on twice the recommended dose of chemicals and there is no persuading them otherwise I knocked that idea on the head.

That kind of messing will only put further restrictions on Roundup, MCPA etc. as more and more of it turns up in water supplies via EPA testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

PoorFarmer wrote: »

Well obviously a double dose will just kill them twice

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Birdnuts wrote: »
    That kind of messing will only put further restrictions on Roundup, MCPA etc. as more and more of it turns up in water supplies via EPA testing.

That's why I stopped hire work. I actually left that job after me and he is a next door neighbour and he is still sore over it. I know the guy that did it afterwards just did as he was told as he wouldn't give a sh1t either way once there's money in his pocket.
    Was MCPA he was spraying with and didnt want to know about buffer zones for the watercourses either. We are in one of the big problem areas for MCPA in water and it's easy to see why

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Well obviously a double dose will just kill them twice

Yes Donald, plants die, people die, it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

tanko wrote: »
    Yes Donald, plants die, people die, it is what it is.

:D
    They're doing too many tests, we have to slow the testing down.
    If we didn't do as many tests we wouldn't have as many positive results!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

:D
    They're doing too many tests, we have to slow the testing down.
    If we didn't do as many tests we wouldn't have as many positive results!

Get them to stand in front of Really bright uv lights doing shots of dettol while waiting to test in the ques.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Get them to stand in front of Really bright uv lights doing shots of dettol while waiting to test in the ques.

I might recommend shots of roundup next...*

*Don't actually do this ya thicks if any yanks are reading this....You'd think it wouldn't need to be stated...

I might recommend shots of roundup next...*

*Don't actually do this ya thicks if any yanks are reading this....You'd think it wouldn't need to be stated...

Obviously this idiot springs to mind 🙄🙄🙄😂

https://youtu.be/ovKw6YjqSfM

• Advertisement

I’d say it’s a mix really with people compliant on bits and not on others. Father has the course done, I don’t but I would do some of the spraying too but once he has it we are covered. We don’t test the sprayer and being honest we are bad at keeping a log of batch numbers, what day spraying was done and that sort of thing though. I sprayed a good bit of roundup on my own separate land that was bought by the father in his name too so would be no different to the op nearly in that. It wasn’t done intentionally as I could buy it myself was just was left over so I used it up.

Advertisement