Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

Realising that I haven't been touched by another human being since February. Stupid virus. I want a cuddle dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Phoenix32 wrote: »
    Realising that I haven't been touched by another human being since February. Stupid virus. I want a cuddle dammit.

Virtual hugs will have to do...besides...you haven't showered since Thursday ya smelly article!

Virtual hugs will have to do...besides...you haven't showered since Thursday ya smelly article!

How did you know! :O :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Phoenix32 wrote: »

I really don't have much to complain about over this fcuking virus but I really feel for people cooped up with kids (and for the kids, of course) and I really feel for people who are on their own - and people in toxic relationships.
    I don't know which would be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Road distance signs.

Every sign to Ballykissmearse or Back End of Nowhere having the km marked, but the ones to larger towns and cities having no km on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think I'm having the biggest existential problem ever! I can't find the remote control!!!!

In other news, me Mammy called me when I was on a work call to London and Berlin. (Stop ringing me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Don't know your circumstances, but if you're in the house by yourself, make as much noise as possible in your bedroom when you wake up. They'll be asleep at that stage, but not for long! If possible (with the windows closed), blast out Friday by Rebecca Black, every morning. They won't be long saying it to you, and you can in turn say it to them. Just a thought.

TA'd that I can't figure out what to do with myself in general.

Heh, I thought of that but it seems really petty. I just don't know how people can be so completely lacking in self awareness. Perhaps because they don't hear me (because I go out of my way to be considerate), they think I can't hear them. Maybe I'll stop going out of my way for a few days, and make as much noise as I feel like when I get yup at 6. Radio on, coffee machine on right away, call my colleagues in another time zone. All the stuff I'd like to do but don't, because I'm aware it will probably bother others.

Do some people just not ever get taught about an 'inside voice'?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I should be enjoying a mini break abroad starting this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think I'm having the biggest existential problem ever! I can't find the remote control!!!!

I found it, without even looking with my eyes. I 'felt' for it. :confused: But it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

All this talk of Blooms day is making me homesick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Heh, I thought of that but it seems really petty. I just don't know how people can be so completely lacking in self awareness. Perhaps because they don't hear me (because I go out of my way to be considerate), they think I can't hear them. Maybe I'll stop going out of my way for a few days, and make as much noise as I feel like when I get yup at 6. Radio on, coffee machine on right away, call my colleagues in another time zone. All the stuff I'd like to do but don't, because I'm aware it will probably bother others.

Do some people just not ever get taught about an 'inside voice'?

Some people definitely don't know what an inside voice is. It might be petty to treat them to some noise and I guess the danger is, it will make them worse, but I would be tempted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

In other news, me Mammy called me when I was on a work call to London and Berlin. (Stop ringing me!!)

I feel your pain! I'm having a crisis over 'strong' bin liners I bought for the kitchen bin. They are useless!
    :D

Regarding recent posts - I'm annoyed with the reason/s given by posters for their annoyance :o, although those annoy me too similarly, but, what's written below annoys me more. This is not to diminish or denigrate posters' annoyance - merely this poster's take on it is different so for that I apologise.

My reason for the same annoyance is that normal living noises, regardless of time of day, like talking, washing machines, coffee-makers, walking etc can be heard moreso than are heard.

Whispering and crawling-shuffling in socks around one's pad is no way to live.

I don't blame the neighbours for that type of noise even though I do get annoyed at them as well as stressed for making them, at, well any time of the day really.

Sh1t fcukin construction. If the noise can't be heard by someone walking past/by 5-10 yards away then it shouldn't be heard by the occupants of adjoining apartments imo. The ones who make noise that can be heard 100+ yards away; well that's a whole nother thing :mad:. We've come to accept mediocrity in this Country. Chronic mental cases are oft locked for a spell in rooms from where no sound eminates. Hows about some of that innovation be used in the construction of apartment blocks lest we all end up sectioned brought about by neuroses from this sort of cr*p existence! :(

It's good to rant and also to know how to use bold :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Don't know your circumstances, but if you're in the house by yourself, make as much noise as possible in your bedroom when you wake up. They'll be asleep at that stage, but not for long! If possible (with the windows closed), blast out Friday by Rebecca Black, every morning. They won't be long saying it to you, and you can in turn say it to them. Just a thought.

TA'd that I can't figure out what to do with myself in general.
    Probably against the Geneva convention, that song did really well in the worst song ever contest.

BBC don't have any ads but they show so many promos and such between shows that they might as well have them.

:D Gonna hijack another annoyance... sorry. Last one :p

The Geneva Convention - rules against war crimes and whatnot. Hard to get my poor uneducated noggin around this one... If war is okay then how are war crimes even a thing?

Regarding recent posts - I'm annoyed with the reason/s given by posters for their annoyance :o, although those annoy me too similarly, but, what's written below annoys me more. This is not to diminish or denigrate posters' annoyance - merely this poster's take on it is different so for that I apologise.

My reason for the same annoyance is that normal living noises, regardless of time of day, like talking, washing machines, coffee-makers, walking etc can be heard moreso than are heard.

Whispering and crawling-shuffling in socks around one's pad is no way to live.

I don't blame the neighbours for that type of noise even though I do get annoyed at them as well as stressed for making them, at, well any time of the day really.

Sh1t fcukin construction. If the noise can't be heard by someone walking past/by 5-10 yards away then it shouldn't be heard by the occupants of adjoining apartments imo. The ones who make noise that can be heard 100+ yards away; well that's a whole nother thing :mad:. We've come to accept mediocrity in this Country. Chronic mental cases are oft locked for a spell in rooms from where no sound eminates. Hows about some of that innovation be used in the construction of apartment blocks lest we all end up sectioned brought about by neuroses from this sort of cr*p existence! :(

It's good to rant and also to know how to use bold :pac:

Sorry, but no.

Normal living noises are absolutely grand. I don't care about washing machines, loud talking, dancing around or whatever, in the daytime. Even if someone were hammering nails into a wall for hours, it's annoying, but in the daytime you just tolerate it. You can put some music on, the radio on, try to cover up the sound.

Talking loudly late at night when you live in a flat is just rude and inconsiderate. Yes, ideally there would be better soundproofing which blocked everything out, but if there isn't, then the onus is on people to just be considerate. It really isn't hard. I don't think being aware of other people is 'tip toeing around' or 'whispering'. When you choose to live in a flat which is converted from a bigger house, you know rightly that the soundproofing isn't going to be the best and that you need to think of others. It's just part of city living.

People who want to have loud chats and music on until 2.30am should go and live in a detached house in the countryside. It's not acceptable behaviour when you live in a dense apartment block or converted house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Any decent amount of rain has bypassed my area again. Of course if I go and water the garden it will spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Joking about not being able to pronounce someone's foreign sounding surname.

"I've worked with Kaleb for so many years but not even going to try pronounce his surname!"

Try, it's probably not that hard.

Sorry, but no.

Normal living noises are absolutely grand. I don't care about washing machines, loud talking, dancing around or whatever, in the daytime. Even if someone were hammering nails into a wall for hours, it's annoying, but in the daytime you just tolerate it. You can put some music on, the radio on, try to cover up the sound.

Talking loudly late at night when you live in a flat is just rude and inconsiderate. Yes, ideally there would be better soundproofing which blocked everything out, but if there isn't, then the onus is on people to just be considerate. It really isn't hard. I don't think being aware of other people is 'tip toeing around' or 'whispering'. When you choose to live in a flat which is converted from a bigger house, you know rightly that the soundproofing isn't going to be the best and that you need to think of others. It's just part of city living.

People who want to have loud chats and music on until 2.30am should go and live in a detached house in the countryside. It's not acceptable behaviour when you live in a dense apartment block or converted house.

I hear what you're saying but I still stand by everything I said. Proper, adequate soundproofing should be a must in apartment blocks/flats etc even more important than ruddy BER ratings. Sorry for disagreeing with you but I think that's somewhat of a brainwashed mindset. Just because we're used to this rubbish in Ireland doesn't make it right. Plus, what about shiftworkers and the like who might come home at 3/4 0'clock in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I should be enjoying a mini break abroad starting this morning.

Texas by any chance? :)

• Advertisement

:D Gonna hijack another annoyance... sorry. Last one :p

The Geneva Convention - rules against war crimes and whatnot. Hard to get my poor uneducated noggin around this one... If war is okay then how are war crimes even a thing?
    There's certain weapons not allowed in modern war, biological, chemical, DEWs etc.

You can't intentionally target innocent civilians. Also you can't annex your enemy's territory after an invasion, can't torture or starve or deprive POWs of sleep etc.
    Of course these rules are still being broken by the most 'civilised' countries on Earth. That TAs me :mad:

I have now learnt that senior mustang shelly has signed up for a third dating site, was born in the sixties, is freakishly tall and was an alcoholic 20 years ago.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Texas by any chance? :)

:D:D

Knowing that the next 17 days will determine the course of the rest of my life and being powerless to actually do anything about how it turns out.

Tinnitus annoying me.

I have a million things to organise and yet if none of it goes ahead I have nothing to organise so I just hang around in this awful limbo.

Clothes I ordered going missing and I really need them because nothing fits me.

Nothing fitting me because I've gotten so massively fat.

*rocks back and forth in a corner* :pac:

I hear what you're saying but I still stand by everything I said. Proper, adequate soundproofing should be a must in apartment blocks/flats etc even more important than ruddy BER ratings. Sorry for disagreeing with you but I think that's somewhat of a brainwashed mindset. Just because we're used to this rubbish in Ireland doesn't make it right. Plus, what about shiftworkers and the like who might come home at 3/4 0'clock in the morning.

I live in England but the houses here are equally sh1te.

I agree about the soundproofing but again, when the soundproofing is poor or non existent, then the onus is on the people making the noise to be quieter, not for others to put up with it.

What do you mean about shiftworkers? Don't see how that's relevant. You can come home at any time in the morning without being a selfish idiot and waking up the entire building. I have spent years living in flatshares and very rarely had a noise problem, despite people coming and going at all hours.

I was getting up at 5.30am for a while, out for a run and back at 6, then started my work day. Flatmates said they never heard a thing. I'd often make breakfast as well, just avoiding using the noisy coffee machine. It's really not that hard to be quiet and keep in mind that people are asleep.

Some people just love the sound of their own voice and have no ability to modify it to suit the circumstances. The vast majority of people will automatically whisper and limit noise as much as possible after 11pm. It's common decency. I do it when staying in hotels and other places where I wouldn't have any real consequences if I keep the people next to me awake. It's just not being a d1ck really, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭A Consonant Please Carol

Phoenix32 wrote:
    Nothing fitting me because I've gotten so massively fat.

Just roll with it... :pac:

Just roll with it... :pac:

Ha, this is me now

King-Size_Homer.png

I live in England but the houses here are equally sh1te.

I agree about the soundproofing but again, when the soundproofing is poor or non existent, then the onus is on the people making the noise to be quieter, not for others to put up with it.

What do you mean about shiftworkers? Don't see how that's relevant. You can come home at any time in the morning without being a selfish idiot and waking up the entire building. I have spent years living in flatshares and very rarely had a noise problem, despite people coming and going at all hours.

I was getting up at 5.30am for a while, out for a run and back at 6, then started my work day. Flatmates said they never heard a thing. I'd often make breakfast as well, just avoiding using the noisy coffee machine. It's really not that hard to be quiet and keep in mind that people are asleep.

Some people just love the sound of their own voice and have no ability to modify it to suit the circumstances. The vast majority of people will automatically whisper and limit noise as much as possible after 11pm. It's common decency. I do it when staying in hotels and other places where I wouldn't have any real consequences if I keep the people next to me awake. It's just not being a d1ck really, isn't it?

I agree regarding decency and consideration for any flatmates and neighbours.

I've never used a coffee machine and I don't know how noisy they are. I would think that a toilet flushing or an electric shower would be close enough to what one/you perhaps might consider excessive noise in that case.

And then there's floorboards/stairwells etc... Some are so poor that even a ninja wouldn't be able to sneak up on someone.

I believe in peaceful enjoyment of one's home. The way some on here share your opinion; if you want to live in a flat/apartment it's somewhat akin to being in a prison with all the restrictions imposed, especially the ones a person places upon themselves.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. No offence intended but I just think it's a fcuked up state of affairs and am pretty much amazed because it appears to be the general consensus.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the countryside and never had to take my neighbours into consideration if I wanted to do anything noisier than scratching myself when I was younger - family maybe, but that's about it.

I guess the majority of people grew up in built up areas so that's probably the reason they are gaslit/brainwashed into believing there's no other way of behaving/carrying on when indoors especially at nighttime. They most likely don't even consider soundproofing to be important. :(

The morning thunder in my gaff could wake the dead. CMT has been using it as an alarm clock for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nokotan wrote: »
    Joking about not being able to pronounce someone's foreign sounding surname.

"I've worked with Kaleb for so many years but not even going to try pronounce his surname!"

Try, it's probably not that hard.

That’s the ‘auld Doob’ for you.Aaaahhh Jaysus...

Calling Frank Lampard, Frank Lambert.

Had a ‘solth of deee aaahert’ Doob introduce a lad (Italian)called Luigi.

“Did iss Luigi but we call him Louis!!!

Why don’t you call him Luigi you thick kernt, not that difficult.

Aaaaaargn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement