Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parcel motel introducing a peak season surcharge

• 30-10-2020 4:26pm

Just got the email below from parcel motel. I wonder what the investments their making are?

Edit: never offered my opinion. If the service is visibly improved then I don't have an issue (saying that I use it a lot and have never had any issues but if the reason for the increase is to provide a better service then I'd like to get a better service). Part of me wonders if its a blt of a cash grab as well though. With no one really knowing what's going to happen with Brexit I wonder if buying from the UK will be as lucrative next year.

"With the holiday season around the corner, the number of parcels moving through our network will grow exponentially over the coming months. During this busy period, we strive to provide our customers with the reliable and timely service they have come to expect from Parcel Motel.

We continue to maximize the efficiency of our business processes in order ensure that our prices remain among the most competitive in the market. Our focus has always been on providing excellent value and we have work diligently to offer the same prices to our customers since 2013.

As always our highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers while meeting our service commitments. The surge in online shopping due to the pandemic coupled with the busy holiday shopping season will necessitate that we invest more in workspace in order to properly service our business, ensure social distancing and maintain the safety and wellbeing of our people throughout the peak season.

Please be advised therefore, that effective from 4th November until 31 December 2020, when collecting a parcel a peak season surcharge will be applied to the base price, changing the price from €3.95 to €4.50. All other prices will remain the same.

During this time, we can no longer process very large items measuring more than

95 X 48 X 55cm (roughly the size of a wheelie bin) and such items will not be accepted in our receiving centres in Newtownabbey or Dublin.

Our priority is to continue providing the best possible service to our customers during the season. We value your business and look forward to delivering your shopping this Christmas."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

That really means 'we have a chance to gouge you for Xmas shopping and we're going to do it'. I never heard of a business increase prices just because they were busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got a deliverybox from An Post which means between that and amazon prime deliveries with notifications of how many stops away they are, I rarely need to use parcelmotel now.

But not getting replacement wheelie bins via PM is going to be a huge issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

It's certainly an interesting move considering the huge upturn in internet shopping and demands on couriers and these types of services. Even in previous years Parcel Motel were swamped in the run up to Christmas and their reputation did suffer as a result.

I am sure they do have additional costs to provide the same service we are used to at Christmas. I use the Newbridge PM and I know at times they had 2 Parcel Motels there along with 2 vans full of parcels because the lockers were full. So this all introduces extra cost they do not have during the year normally.

Also interesting that they are dropping the larger packages. Nobody likes a price increase, but even for 4.50 I think its fair to say it does represent value for money and is a very reliable service.

I got a deliverybox from An Post which means between that and amazon prime deliveries with notifications of how many stops away they are, I rarely need to use parcelmotel now.

Does the delivery box allow you to order items that don't ship to Ireland or to skip the exorbitant delivery charges some UK suppliers charge to send stuff over here?.........Didn't think so.

People like to give out about PM, when the reality is they are an absolute godsend. If you don't like the increased price, change to Address Pal and wait an extra week for your stuff. I'll pay the extra 55c for the convenience and savings that a PM account normally brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't mind it once it means my parcels are not stuck for nearly a week because they have no free lockers to put them in. I presume they will offer more locations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It could be worse but they didn't really give too much notice. I reckon they will be hammered altogether this year, all postal systems and couriers will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just received an email from Parcel Motel about price changes and sizes.
    Please be advised therefore, that effective from 4th November until 31 December 2020, when collecting a parcel a peak season surcharge will be applied to the base price, changing the price from €3.95 to €4.50. All other prices will remain the same.
    During this time, we can no longer process very large items measuring more than
    95 X 48 X 55cm (roughly the size of a wheelie bin) and such items will not be accepted in our receiving centres in Newtownabbey or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

As someone said in other thread. Give incentives to get your package quicker so more space.

They just don’t want more business is what it says to me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Trampas wrote: »
    As someone said in other thread. Give incentives to get your package quicker so more space.

They just don’t want more business is what it says to me

I'd suggest they are expecting more business so need more people to work with them, more vans to lease, arrange additional temp lockers for areas receiving a high rate of packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does the delivery box allow you to order items that don't ship to Ireland or to skip the exorbitant delivery charges some UK suppliers charge to send stuff over here?.........Didn't think so.

People like to give out about PM, when the reality is they are an absolute godsend. If you don't like the increased price, change to Address Pal and wait an extra week for your stuff. I'll pay the extra 55c for the convenience and savings that a PM account normally brings.

You didn't think so?
    Perhaps try thinking so.
    Who do you think runs AddressPal?

At busy times, I've gotten a notification from PM that my parcel has arrived in their depot and yet it'll be days before a locker is free. the only advantage of PM is that I can get deliveries on a Saturday night, but even Amazon delivered stuff to me both on Sunday and bank holiday Monday this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are getting loads more business so they are going to charge more. Ok I will move to another service. That's too much of an increase. If they can't handle more business I am happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why would someone use Parcel motel over Parcel wizard? especially now when there is more likely someone to be at home to take the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I don't have an issue with a business increasing a price but they need to hire someone with a bit of sense. Not the best email to read, basically we're going to be busy.
    Costs may be more but they should be factoring those into their business model originally.
    It is a good service so an extra 55c per parcel won't kill me.
    If they use that 55c to hire some good customer service staff then that'd be pretty awesome

You didn't think so?
    Perhaps try thinking so.
    Who do you think runs AddressPal?

I'm well aware who runs address pal, I even mentioned them in my post. It wasn't obvious that you were using address pal for your new delivery box, but now that it is clear, your original post makes even less sense.

You're effectively saying that, now that you have this box you don't have to pay PM their exorbitant €4.50 charge and instead can get it delivered to your house fir the low, low price of €6.95 (not to mention the extra 5 days it takes to arrive).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

When you factor in their top-up bonus of €4.50 on €35, the actual cost is €3.99 versus Parcel Wizard's €3.85 and AddressPal's €3.95. It's not a matter of price. It comes down to which service you prefer or which location is more convenient.

It's a bit ridiculous to storm off in a huff over €0.14.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

14 cent ?

They are increasing their prices 20% , They are doing this on the back of an already abysmal service. They are simply not the service provider they used to be. Between crap check in images and major delays in stuff getting to their boxes. Not to mention simply losing stuff.

The 20% makes no sense.

On top of might i ad, an actual freefall in their fuel prices since January.

This is nothing more than gouging. Id suggest their management team have their heads up their arses tbh.

And i used them since they opened the service. Ive been an absolute solo advertising for their services to family and friends.
    Wont be back, im moving elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

What's going to happen with PM after Brexit?

I mean if there's duty to be applied to a package from the UK will PM charge you this before they leave it in the locker? If you buy from Amazon US they charge duty when you buy the thing but Amazon UK won't be able to do this as they will assume it's a package being delivered to another part of the UK.

I agree that PM has been a god-send for getting stuff from the UK but if deliveries start attracting duty the demand for PM could plummet next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

listermint wrote: »
    And i used them since they opened the service. Ive been an absolute solo advertising for their services to family and friends.
    Wont be back, im moving elsewhere.

How could they do this to you?! You're absolutely right to flounce off like a drama queen.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Cyrus wrote: »
    why would someone use Parcel motel over Parcel wizard? especially now when there is more likely someone to be at home to take the parcel.

I was just happy with parcel motel tbh, but with major delays getting parcels, poor customer support on a couple of issues recently and not the sudden no notice increase I’ll be trying out parcel wizard. Have address pal already. Parcel motel been very good for 100s of delivery’s in all the years but going downhill a bit, upping price while service is getting worse is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness, the rise is enough to get me to look at the alternatives.

That combined with the suspicious coincidence of non tracked deliveries strangely always going missing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Cyrus wrote: »

I have 2 Parcel Motels within 5 mins walk of me, both open 24 / 7.

Nearest Parcel Wizard is 20 mins walk away with shorter opening hours (closes at 19:00 at the weekend).

Plus I would need to go into a shop that always seems busy and the clientele don’t strike me as caring too much about social distancing and mask wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The others won't be shy about upping their prices if they see people are happy enough to pay extra. I use parcel wizard these days because they have a drop off garage 5 minutes from my house and are much less strict about how long I have to pick them up. Have had parcels there for four or five days and not paid extra.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How could they do this to you?! You're absolutely right to flounce off like a drama queen.

You fearful of a jobloss?

It seems so.

Maybe start thinking about the customers a little more. You have gone completely off the boil. Used to be the best in the game for this type of service but flew too close to the sun. Believing your own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

pissed wrote: »
    Just received an email from Parcel Motel about price changes and sizes.

Pure gouging. They will lose a lot of custom for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have 2 Parcel Motels within 5 mins walk of me, both open 24 / 7.

Nearest Parcel Wizard is 20 mins walk away with shorter opening hours (closes at 19:00 at the weekend).

Plus I would need to go into a shop that always seems busy and the clientele don’t strike me as caring too much about social distancing and mask wearing.

Parcel wizard deliver to your house though ? I can understand if home delivery doesn’t suit but apart from that parcel wizard , in my experience at least, is far quicker and better. Drivers generally sound as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Got one also. I put a smart things motion sensor in mine so it plays a song on my echo dot when the postman/lady drops something off. It has given me a little bit of joy over the last few months to hear "Stop Mr. Postman" play for 10 secs. Only a bit morto that it happened one day one day he tried to put the parcel in but it wasn't big enough so set it off then knocked on the door, I answered and the song started to play. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

ec_pc wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting move considering the huge upturn in internet shopping and demands on couriers and these types of services. Even in previous years Parcel Motel were swamped in the run up to Christmas and their reputation did suffer as a result.

I am sure they do have additional costs to provide the same service we are used to at Christmas. I use the Newbridge PM and I know at times they had 2 Parcel Motels there along with 2 vans full of parcels because the lockers were full. So this all introduces extra cost they do not have during the year normally.

Also interesting that they are dropping the larger packages. Nobody likes a price increase, but even for 4.50 I think its fair to say it does represent value for money and is a very reliable service.

Their reputation suffered because they were not providing the service. They could reward customers who collect their parcels early...maybe half price if collected within 6 hours of drop off and 15% discount if collected within 12 hours of drop off.

They could also bundle items, but again, they do not. I often collect 4 or 5 items at a time and all parcels would fit into the same locker. PM choose to store each item individually and charge me full price for every single item.

I receive 15-25 parcels per week at my locker. This increase makes a difference, but the bigger issue is the refusal to accept larger items. That's just not good enough, as Amazon often send larger boxes than necessary.

I am looking into parcel wizard now.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

If you purchased the credit prior to the price increase are they not breaking the contract.

I mean its like filling your car up with petrol marked 1.15 at the pump then when you go inside to pay they say they have just increased their price to 1.20 and you have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

AlfaZen wrote: »
    If you purchased the credit prior to the price increase are they not breaking the contract.

I mean its like filling your car up with petrol marked 1.15 at the pump then when you go inside to pay they say they have just increased their price to 1.20 and you have to pay it.

Good point. I had purchased credit before i even received the email

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

I really feel this is gouging they are getting more business than ever with the huge increase in online shopping so they should be making more

It's typical of most irish companies though and it's why amazon are relentlessly making huge inroads into Ireland and with them opening a distribution center here their delivery is much quicker and better I have also been a PM user since the start but this price increase which they are quite entitled to do will definitely make me look at all other options

Advertisement