Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

• 08-05-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Just wanna put the word out on this in case u aint heard, I was gonna stick this in tac shooter/sim section but its not either really.

DayZ : http://dayzmod.com/

- Persistent Character/RPG Zombie Mod for Arma 2. It is the best zombie experience you will ever have without actually having to wipe the brain goo of you real life clothes.

I'm an Arma nut, stumbled across this new mod (2 weeks old?) the other day and I cannot stop playing it.

It is amazing. Dont let the fact its 'Arma' put u off, its not Arma really.

I could describe it all night but you'd best just watch these vids, BTW bad language in vids:

You start of on your own in the middle of nowhere, 1 pistol, 8 shots, no map, no torch. If its dark in real life where the server is then its dark in game. The only goal is to scavenge and survive. Be good or evil, up to you. you have to eat and drink, full medical system. I've managed to live for 5 hours so far and thats pretty good!

The best thing about it is the other human players, they can be good or evil, you don't know. they can buddy up with you or shoot you straight off. Its like a live psychology experiment in the Arma engine.
    Ive never played anything like it. Really captures the end of world, trust no one feel. And then there are Zombies, thousands of em.

I could blubber on all night but if you like Stalker etc then this is for you. Arma 2 is gone back into the top sellers on steam cause of this mod in last few days, it was dead pretty much.
    It is about to go nuclear I reckon.

The bad- Its in alpha so a bit rough. Its got so popular its bloody hard to get into a server and the master server cannot handle all the folks trying to play. the dude who made this did not expect it to explode the way it did. but when you finally do get in, oh my god....

Just check it out if you like survival/ Zombie/horror/RPG/ Apocalypse games.

Advice- head north and keep your head down, be quite at night and dont use a light unless you have to.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I know of one particular forum that would be really delighted to see that post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I was gonna put in the usual Arma type forum but this aint Arma, its Zombie terror gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

do you need just arma 2 or do you need the addon pack too?

You need the Arma 2 only , not Arrowhead. If you have Private Military Company Add on you get hi res models but not required.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Holy crap that's amazing. We need to get a boards.ie group going to see how long we can survive :P

• Advertisement

Please join me, Im on my own out there, damn bandits hunting me....

Need and Irish server soooo bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sad i know where they are at the start of that video and could find my way to the radio tower easily :o

man the website must be swamped with visitors I cant get it to download :(

Yeah, Webby is borked but the DL is only 100MB.

If you played Arma before then that will be a big help just as you will know the 'feel' of the game.

I think this mod is a bit of gaming history in the making. The dude that made this mod had this idea turned down a bunch of times by studios they said it would never work, and he works for BI, so he just modded arma and its exploded in the last week. It really not about Zombies but about how the players react to eachother. and you can kill and eat goats for food.

Sad i know where they are at the start of that video and could find my way to the radio tower easily

You will do well in the new Arma Zombie World man!

• Advertisement

it's an odd download process Do I extract all the rar's into their own folders and put them in /@dayz/addons or do I keep them all in the same folder?

you can use the @DayZ folder method or I just have them all straight into my Arma 2 /Addons at the mo and it works fine. Extract ALL files into Add ons folder or your @DayZ folder .Thats it.

After about midnight you should be able to get into a EU server, Peak times is pretty much impossible at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looks fairly cool. Must pick up a copy of Arma 2, loved the original Flashpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I am all kinds of up for a Boards server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

That looks so good

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    it's an odd download process Do I extract all the rar's into their own folders and put them in /@dayz/addons or do I keep them all in the same folder?

use this to manage your mods

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?89731-ArmA-2-Game-Launcher

handy launcher.

quick warning. You need Arma 2 Combined Arms for this to work. Not just vanilla arma 2 :(

One more thing, apart from dreamer75 you absolutly will need this map:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/chernarus_big_hq.jpg

get to a town, look for road signs, alt tab to this map and that will give you a start, happy Zed hunting

quick warning. You need Arma 2 Combined Arms for this to work. Not just vanilla arma 2

Ahh, fek ,sorry man, I thought u just needed vanilla :(

If you have Arrowhead and Arma 2 bought separately you can run it as Combined Ops if that helps anyone

I didnt have arrowhead, but it's only 15 quid and I've been meaning to pick it up for a while anyway.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I didnt have arrowhead, but it's only 15 quid and I've been meaning to pick it up for a while anyway.

Its full of Zombie goodness now, not just politically dodgy desert destruction!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Combined Operations has topped Skyrim on steam top sellers, most of the games above it are discounted or new releases, not bad for a sales drive from a mod.

The mod itself its pretty fun if not a bit CPU taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I have never heard of this arma, I really need to scrape together enough dosh to become a PC gamer :( damn those expensive rigs!

Finally got it working.

Wow, very slick for an alpha. Pain in the ass to get working but once you are in it feels like someone made a walking dead version of elder scrolls. Sort of screwed as I ran into quite a few zombies already and got almost no ammo left. Found shotgun shells but no shotgun. Got a 2nd water bottle but its empty and I got a toolkit but no car. It all looks rather hopeless...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was sure i bought Arma back when it was released, but i can't seem to find it :( Might buy the combined pack, as this looks fantastic and i love a good zombie game. Would love to see this get developed more, as it's a fantastic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This really is a brilliant game. Its like how i imagine S.T.AL.K.E.R multiplayer should be. I found a pair of binoculars yesterday and almost wept for joy. Over binoculars. In any other game youd be like "**** that ****, give me gold, or a gatling gun, or a magic wand" or some ****. In DayZ looting a bottle of water and a binoculars is like all your christmases came at once.

I was playing it voer the weekend and had this 3 way encounter with me, zombie, and a bandit in a barn. At night. :(

Anyone installing use the @ method, droppping files into the main Addons can cause issues if the game is patched or the mod is patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd almost buy the game just for this. Watching those videos in the OP are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

The only enemy worse than the zombies and other humans are the horrific ladders which do their best to kill you every time you use them.

You may also get indefinitely stuck in them and not be able to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cheapest I've found Combined Ops is on the Bohemia store itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement