Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JonT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Going to throw my hat in for this, although I'm not long an EO so probably haven't got a shot! The experience will hopefully stand for me next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Going to throw my hat in for this, although I'm not long an EO so probably haven't got a shot! The experience will hopefully stand for me next time around

I've not been a HEO a wet week but what the hell!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Americaninexile

We go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Just spotted this. Going to try for it. Any pointers? Hoping to eventually get back to something near my previous levels in work!!

But I'm still waiting for a start date for my EO position, clearance taking forever.

I'm not even in a position and I'm going to try for it!

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I've not been a HEO a wet week but what the hell!
    :p

Congrats on the HEO

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Hey all

I'm an AO in the Public Sector and have 3 years of a semi-public job. Wouldn't have huge amounts of experience in managing people but am interested in it. I have always worked in education admin (phd). Wondering should I go for it or would the culture be hiring within the CS?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

WAW wrote: »
    Congrats on the HEO

Thank you! And to you too on EO! Best of luck!

never_mind wrote: »
    Hey all

I'm an AO in the Public Sector and have 3 years of a semi-public job. Wouldn't have huge amounts of experience in managing people but am interested in it. I have always worked in education admin (phd). Wondering should I go for it or would the culture be hiring within the CS?

Thanks

I would apply for it. I know that years ago I was hired from private sector for a public sector job for my outside experience that I could bring to the public organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Uuuuuugh, here we go again with the aptitude tests and e-tray... not to mention interviews.

Anyone got any advice on how to practice for the etray?

I heard last time round loads of people failed the etray so any help appreciated.

• Advertisement

WAW wrote: »
    I would apply for it. I know that years ago I was hired from private sector for a public sector job for my outside experience that I could bring to the public organisation.

Why not, I may as well! Salary is good too! Wonder how crazy of a job it is stress-wise but prob depends on your PO and what dept you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Uuuuuugh, here we go again with the aptitude tests and e-tray... not to mention interviews.

Anyone got any advice on how to practice for the etray?

I heard last time round loads of people failed the etray so any help appreciated.

You’ll find people on this thread will be mega-helpful to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Threads merged covering the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Here we go, again.

Got to interview on last AP competition but didn’t get it. Did AO competition after it and got that. Took the serious pay hit and am now an AO and hopefully will be better prepared for the AP this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CavanGilly

Gonna throw my hat into the ring for this.

Anyone any links to practice tests? Failed the numerical reasoning before but passed the other 2. Need too practice. Any tips would be great x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

quad_red wrote: »
    Here we go, again.

Got to interview on last AP competition but didn’t get it. Did AO competition after it and got that. Took the serious pay hit and am now an AO and hopefully will be better prepared for the AP this time.

Gonna give it a go myself. I'll chance AO if it comes aswell but not mad on the thoughts of a pay cut. How did you find the transition?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Does the stage-one assessment typically involve a questionnaire, in addition to the psychometric tests? The information booklet lists this as a possibility but does not give a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

I cant find it anywhere in the information booklet that you have to be in the service two years to apply for interdepartmental - as is normal with these competitions. Does anyone know if this is an oversight, or are we to assume that you still have to be two years in the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

R777B wrote: »
    I cant find it anywhere in the information booklet that you have to be in the service two years to apply for interdepartmental - as is normal with these competitions. Does anyone know if this is an oversight, or are we to assume that you still have to be two years in the service?

This is an open not inter-d so no service requirements.
    Anyone can apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I'm gonna go for this one; let's see what happens.

• Advertisement

This is an open not inter-d so no service requirements.
    Anyone can apply.

There is also an interdepartmental stream

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

There is also an interdepartmental stream

Exactly, when you go to apply you are asked if you want to apply for open or interdepartmental, or both. But I cant find the requirments for interdepartmental anywhere

R777B wrote: »
    Exactly, when you go to apply you are asked if you want to apply for open or interdepartmental, or both. But I cant find the requirments for interdepartmental anywhere

DPER may issue a separate circular today about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I note it states the hours would be a minimum of 43 hrs 15 mins, has this increased significantly from before, before anybody says ap always work more than the minimum I am aware of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

It's still based on a 37 hour work week exclusive of breaks, it's just working off a weird 'standard schedule' I doubt anyone actually works, where you take a 1hr15m lunch every day.

Application gone in - god I tried not to waffle but seriously that took some amount of ****e talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

DPER may issue a separate circular today about it?

circulated

the requirement is the usual two years service by 6th September

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

The interdependantal route.

In other words... The loser route

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Riskymove wrote: »
    circulated

the requirement is the usual two years service by 6th September

Is it when you apply it asks which one you want to go for?

• Advertisement

milhous wrote: »
    Is it when you apply it asks which one you want to go for?

Yes there is three streams to choose from on the online form and you just tick which ones you want to apply for

Advertisement