Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

When I'm sending two parcels to two different parcel motels I assume that I'm not allowed to put them into the same locker?

Also, I assume it's okay to send two parcels on the same day to different people?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    When I'm sending two parcels to two different parcel motels I assume that I'm not allowed to put them into the same locker?

Also, I assume it's okay to send two parcels on the same day to different people?

No you cannot put them on the same locker because each parcel will need to be scan to open a locker. Yes you can send on the same day to different people

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TimTom

Despite having contacted Parcel Motel support via twitter, a support ticket and a phone call my package is now residing with them for 8 days.

Any suggestions for a 3rd party I can contact to put pressure on them? Who regulates courier services?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TimTom wrote: »
    Despite having contacted Parcel Motel support via twitter, a support ticket and a phone call my package is now residing with them for 8 days.

Any suggestions for a 3rd party I can contact to put pressure on them? Who regulates courier services?

In practice nobody except the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Got contacted by parcel motel. Operations team are still looking into it and will contact me ASAP.

Meanwhile using Find Parcel option I located my package and have already picked it up a day or two ago.

It's actually quite awful just the level of incompetence.

Just curious how this will play out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

hi guys,
    it looks like a parcel i ordered on ebay shipped from japan and is now stuck in royal mail newtownabbey after attempting delivery to parcel motel (i'm guessing there's vat owed on it)

i tried to see if i could pay online but the tracking number isn't enough,

would parcel motel have received the card with the reference to pay on it?

is there a number i could call ?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The parcel motel on Clonkeen road in Dublin was broken into this morning and a number of parcels were stolen. Only insured up to €100.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

punchdrunk wrote: »
    hi guys,
    it looks like a parcel i ordered on ebay shipped from japan and is now stuck in royal mail newtownabbey after attempting delivery to parcel motel (i'm guessing there's vat owed on it)

i tried to see if i could pay online but the tracking number isn't enough,

would parcel motel have received the card with the reference to pay on it?

is there a number i could call ?

thanks!

What company was it shipped with? I had something similar happen me with one from the states and I ended up getting in touch with British customs, who were very helpful. I think an online search and a couple of phone calls eventually got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cazale wrote: »
    The parcel motel on Clonkeen road in Dublin was broken into this morning and a number of parcels were stolen. Only insured up to €100.

Is that Texaco Deansgrange?
    Glad I took our delivery from there yesterday afternoon in the first 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cazale wrote: »
    josip wrote: »
    Is that Texaco Deansgrange?
    Glad I took our delivery from there yesterday afternoon in the first 24 hours.

Yes, 'Deansgrange Texaco' is the PM name for the collection point which for those who aren't familiar with it is at the N11 end of Clonkeen Road. I had a parcel available for collection from late Wednesday and was planning to collect it on Thursday around lunchtime but at 09:50 on Thursday they sent me an e-mail ........

'We are currently investigating a report of vandalism at the Parcel Motel at Deansgrange Texaco last night and our engineer is checking for damage. Please do not attempt to collect your parcel from this location until further notice. We will update you on the situation later today and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. '

At 15:13 they sent an e-mail saying that my parcel had not been collected and it was going back to their depot. I assumed this meant that they were shutting down the whole collection point but 30 minutes later I got a new 'available for collection' e-mail and SMS with the original PIN so I collected the package later and there was no visible sign of damage to the collection point.

I should add that that collection point is under severe pressure on account of the time of year. Earlier this week PM diverted two of my packages to Kilmacud GAA club where they had a 'popup' collection point consisting of two PM lads sitting in a small dressing room with loads of packages sitting in boxes on the benches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Toots wrote: »
    What company was it shipped with? I had something similar happen me with one from the states and I ended up getting in touch with British customs, who were very helpful. I think an online search and a couple of phone calls eventually got it sorted.

it was sent via japanese post and handed over to royal mail in the UK,

I would have thought they would hand a delivery note over to parcel motel so i could pay the tax etc on it- that's really my problem, I could pay it on the royal mail site if I knew the docket reference!

is there a number for the parcel motel centre up north that i could call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I've been using ParcelConnect instead of ParcelMotel over the Christmas period and its been brilliant. Accidentally had a parcel sent to ParcelMotel. Was redirected from my locker and instead sent to the Kilmacud GAA location. Ain't happy at all. Have to email them to get them to put it back in the queue for the locker but haven't heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Parcel Motel have now sent another of my parcels to Kilmacud.
    And changed my preferences again to set my preferred delivery to Kilmacud.
    And charged me for the last 'missed collection' in Kilmacud that they redirected there after I told them not to.
    Don't use Parcel Motel.

Zt7oLS6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still fine in the west, delivery occurs a few hours later than usual, but it is still arriving the next day, I have had problems in the past, boy have I had problems, but this is the best Christmas period in years so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

josip wrote: »
    Parcel Motel have now sent another of my parcels to Kilmacud.
    And changed my preferences again to set my preferred delivery to Kilmacud.
    And charged me for the last 'missed collection' in Kilmacud that they redirected there after I told them not to.

Their system is relatively customer-unfriendly in that you can't ask them to divert a package that's being held up if your nominated collection point has a backlog but they reserve the right to divert without giving you the option to wait it out or nominate a different collection point.

I was waiting and waiting last year for a notification to pickup from Deansgrange Texaco so I asked them if they could redirect my package to one of two or three (named by me) alternative collection points which might be less busy but they said their system didn't allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doomshine

Xenji wrote: »
    this is the best Christmas period in years so far.

Agreed, been using them every week and only once, 2 weeks ago, my parcels were delayed by more than 12 hours. Delivered to PM on Saturday morning, in the lockers Sunday morning (instead of the customary Saturday night), can't complain.

If only they fixed the touch-screen in Rathmines! It's been an ongoing issue, it always stalls and it's hard to even put your phone number in as some parts of it are very unresponsive.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

punchdrunk wrote: »
    it was sent via japanese post and handed over to royal mail in the UK,

I would have thought they would hand a delivery note over to parcel motel so i could pay the tax etc on it- that's really my problem, I could pay it on the royal mail site if I knew the docket reference!

is there a number for the parcel motel centre up north that i could call?

AFAIK if there's any sort of duty/tax due on it, parcel motel won't accept delivery, so they most likely refused delivery of the note as well. I'd emailed them before ordering something from the states one time to ask what would happen if there was customs due on it and they said they wouldn't take the delivery if there was, so I just had it sent to my home address instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Toots wrote: »
    AFAIK if there's any sort of duty/tax due on it, parcel motel won't accept delivery, so they most likely refused delivery of the note as well. I'd emailed them before ordering something from the states one time to ask what would happen if there was customs due on it and they said they wouldn't take the delivery if there was, so I just had it sent to my home address instead.

According to their website, they do accept non EU parcels which require customs clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

PM definitely do accept parcels which have duty. Had a package come to the NI depot. They paid the duty, then they phoned me and said I needed to pay the duty they had paid, paid it via debit card, and package made its way down to me. Either its they always do it or its a luck thing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol_

amazingly my parcel got delivered on friday aftre taking 11 days to make its was back up from limerick and 3 days in transit from dublin to my depot.. think thats me done with parcel motel though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

PM definitely do accept parcels which have duty. Had a package come to the NI depot. They paid the duty, then they phoned me and said I needed to pay the duty they had paid, paid it via debit card, and package made its way down to me. Either its they always do it or its a luck thing maybe?

They didn't pay the duty for me. But it was in the Dublin depot, so maybe they have different rules. It also happened over a year ago so it might be different now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

They’re asking me to top up my account by €91 to cover cost of a bike. Way way more than I expected. I could have driven to Belfast and collected it for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They’re asking me to top up my account by €91 to cover cost of a bike. Way way more than I expected. I could have driven to Belfast and collected it for that?

IIRC its dimensional weight, you could have predicted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

For anyone who had PM pay the vat or duty, did they charge an outrageous admin fee like UPS and the rest of the crooks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PickleJar

Just wondering if anyone has used their returns service for online retailers and had problems? Or am I the unluckiest person in the world? Two parcels sent on different days 4 weeks ago - both put safely in lockers and PM have no record of them after that...and the retailers haven't received them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

shocksy wrote: »
    For anyone who had PM pay the vat or duty, did they charge an outrageous admin fee like UPS and the rest of the crooks

UPS owns Parcel Motel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

shocksy wrote: »

Anyone who does customs clearance and lays out Vat/Duty on your behalf will charge. If you can do that yourself for €15 go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

waiting on a package since the 11th that was received by ParcelMotel but states in Transit since - annoyingly I've received other packages in the meantime to ParcelMotel which were ordered after the 11th and are "medium" size also. Really annoying.

Anyone know if the packages return to the Depot each night ? i.e. can I just head out an collect in person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

ondafly wrote: »
    waiting on a package since the 11th that was received by ParcelMotel but states in Transit since - annoyingly I've received other packages in the meantime to ParcelMotel which were ordered after the 11th and are "medium" size also. Really annoying.

Anyone know if the packages return to the Depot each night ? i.e. can I just head out an collect in person ?

In the same boat myself. I've 4 parcels in limbo at present and a newer one arrived in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In the cycling forum today...
    Parcel motel trying to charge me €91 for a bike. Is this the norm?
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I think they go by volumetric size after a certain point so probably not far off it. They done the same to me as the box was larger than expected (and mostly air, the dimensions I was given by the company where way off). I negotiated them down a bit as I simply could not afford it, think I got mine down to about 50euro from just north of 100euro. This was about 5 years ago now though.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    I've heard of people negotiating them down so worth a punt.
    guanciale wrote: »
    Happened to me.
    If you collect the bike as oppose to delivered to a motel it is much cheaper - i did this last year.

Bring a blade to get rid of the packaging - the folks at the Dublin base (near Ikea) were fine with me leaving the packaging with them.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I done that as well, the PM crowd let me leave it in one of their bins outside the depot.

Phone is the best way, or at least, the way that worked for me. Sorry I forgot to mention I collected mine, which may have helped with the reduction.

I only see now Harry posted in this thread, still relevant replies though.

Advertisement