Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

For anyone who needs the UK mainland delivery address that addresspal offer, but would prefer the parcelmotel/parcel wizard/(what's the 4th competitor somebody mentioned??) benefits too, why not just get addresspal to deliver to your pm/pw/? address. Double the price I know, but could be worth it for those "free UK mainland deliveries" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

cormie wrote: »
    For anyone who needs the UK mainland delivery address that addresspal offer, but would prefer the parcelmotel/parcel wizard/(what's the 4th competitor somebody mentioned??) benefits too, why not just get addresspal to deliver to your pm/pw/? address. Double the price I know, but could be worth it for those "free UK mainland deliveries" ;)

Fastway's Parcelconnect is the 4th.

You can't use addresspal to get it delivered to somehwere, it's collect in Post Office only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Its a good point about sorting offices,since stuff that gets there is basically earliest point-for such locations as dublin etc,but dont imagine they would opt in for that too much stuff to sort in general.

That said some post offices have different branches as well,say if you have registered letter or parcel and they dont find you at home you need to go to sorting place,which is usually based in business parks-so thats a major drawback.

So if i get it correctly people might be able to choose post office of their choice or location,now thats sort of handy,since in smaller towns they have them central or split evenly-and perspective i see here is that such service is more of bringing in business to post offices.
    As people who comin will be buying envelopes stamps/sending/paying bills so more revenue generated and it will cost little to none to implement since an post is whole logistics when it comes to mail handling,thus dropping/collecting packages is like twice a day routine .

So more competition the better.only drawback i see while services like PM,PW and others offer similar things,its usually sellers on amazon and any other sites and restrictions on size weight or even not shipping items past 25kg to NI is issue.

So until one of them steps up and makes UK address,lifts restrictions on size weight,and also would be nice to see being able to to get stuff delivered from outside EU thus,in such instance rather then getting mail to to pay up vat+post=doing it straight at location thus saving time,thus an post would be able to get extra benefit compared to competition if they did smth like that.

Cabaal wrote: »
    An awful lot of PO's are open until 12 or 1pm on Saturdays,

My local Post office even used to be open on Sundays, but that stopped a couple of weeks ago, now it's the 9:00 - 6:00 and Sat 9:00 - 1:00 routine which is great, unless it's Social Welfare Day, than the Post office is a no Go area with queues outside. They tried a queuing system and now have 1 counter reserved for postal services but it's a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

NeVeR wrote: »
    As a business model i don't see how it can work for the majority of the public who work a normal 9/5 .. they are closed in the mornings / at lunch / after 5 and at weekends ..

Im more inclined to say that as a business model I dont see how it can work as competition for Parcel Motel who's biggest draw is 24/7 access.

I mean, if I was not employed I would just have things delivered to home and pay the extra postage then use PM for a UK address.

Ive very very rarely found something that wont deliver to NI.

• Advertisement

Im more inclined to say that as a business model I dont see how it can work as competition for Parcel Motel who's biggest draw is 24/7 access.

I mean, if I was not employed I would just have things delivered to home and pay the extra postage then use PM for a UK address.

Ive very very rarely found something that wont deliver to NI.

A mainland address is with a lot of online retailers either cheaper or faster than Northern Ireland.

However speed is out of the window in light of the quoted 3 day delivery time.

So the only advantage is possible cost savings as a retailer might charge less to a mainland address, however the risk to be hit potentially for 50€ when the seller pulls an Amazon and used a too big box is dangerous.

Having said that, unless we actually use it and try it out it's all speculation. Let's see what happens when it's up and running and what the actual experience is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I can't ever see them lifting the oversize/overweight restrictions, once you get into bigger items, it's a whole different delivery game. Addresspal limits seem reasonable enough I thought.

Having said that, unless we actually use it and try it out it's all speculation. Let's see what happens when it's up and running and what the actual experience is going to be.

I await news of your experience as I cant get to a PO during working hours!

cormie wrote: »
    I can't ever see them lifting the oversize/overweight restrictions, once you get into bigger items, it's a whole different delivery game. Addresspal limits seem reasonable enough I thought.

AnPost
    72cm X 31cm X 25cm
    20 kg

DPD
    40cm x 40cm x 60cm
    20 kg

PM
    41cm x 38 cm x 64 cm
    10 kg

I'm not sure if 25 for one dimension is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Finally managed to confirm the account,

[...]

How, if you don't mind me asking? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

joujoujou wrote: »
    How, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Tried logging in numerous times and each time it sent me a new confirm e-mail mail, by about the 6th one the link in the email finally just worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Tried logging in numerous times and each time it sent me a new confirm e-mail mail, by about the 6th one the link in the email finally just worked :)

You're 100% accurate: 6th email worked!

apal.png

Well for me it worked in the first attempt.

Registered, received "confirm email address" mail, clicked the link and was able to log on.

Received second "An Post’s AddressPal Application" mail telling me that my application has been successfully processed providing me with all details (address, post office address etc.).

Holding off ordering a test parcel until I have the card because that is required to collect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

AnPost
    72cm X 31cm X 25cm
    20 kg

DPD
    40cm x 40cm x 60cm
    20 kg

PM
    41cm x 38 cm x 64 cm
    10 kg

I'm not sure if 25 for one dimension is great.

Pity about the sizes for Oversize items, some shops they put items in big boxes so even if the box is just 35x35x35cm we will be charge €50 according to the sizes? When they mention local Delivery Service Unit do the mean sorting offices? Because I don't think they are the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Holding off ordering a test parcel until I have the card because that is required to collect.

According to the FAQ you don't need the card.
    FAQ wrote:
    6. Can I use the service before I get my card

Yes. We will send you a temporary authorisation that you can use immediately.

nava wrote: »
    Pity about the sizes for Oversize items, some shops they put items in big boxes so even if the box is just 35x35x35cm we will be charge €50 according to the sizes? When they mention local Delivery Service Unit do the mean sorting offices? Because I don't think they are the same.

That would be the same depot you need to collect parcels from when you get the attempted delivery notice.

And as to oversize, reading the FAQ yes a 35x35x35 is oversize and cost you 50€.

nava wrote: »
    According to the FAQ you don't need the card.

Yes the e-mail states:
    You can use this e-mail, which is valid until 15 February 2016 or until you receive your physical AddressPal card in the post.

And while I like to take risks, I really don't want to have an argument at the Post Office because my local postmistress can hold a grudge. She is still mad at me for attempting to purchase a currency card with an ID card she never had seen before and that was long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Good to finally have a way to get items that only ship to Mainland UK.

But man the address they give you is a bit of a mouthful.

They need to find a way to make the address small like Parcel Motel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Placed an order on Amazon for an item they wouldn't dispatch to northern Ireland so lets see how this goes. due for delivery to addresspal on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

I would be very afraid of maximum size 72cm X 31cm X 25cm unless they can be multiplied to .558 cubic metres as the maximum size and are somewhat flexible.

As previously mentioned by others 25 and even 31 cms are very small dimensions.

Was going to order a printer and try it out but think I'll wait and see now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ei9go wrote: »
    I would be very afraid of maximum size 72cm X 31cm X 25cm unless they can be multiplied to .558 cubic metres as the maximum size and are somewhat flexible.

As previously mentioned by others 25 and even 31 cms are very small dimensions.

Was going to order a printer and try it out but think I'll wait and see now.

Also remember and note that places like Amazon often pack small items in ridiculously large boxes, just the other day I got one of those micro stick PCs (size of mobile phone box) delivered in a box measuring 406mmx305mmx105 which very close to what is allowed.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Also remember and note that places like Amazon often pack small items in ridiculously large boxes, just the other day I got one of those micro stick PCs (size of mobile phone box) delivered in a box measuring 406mmx305mmx105 which would be larger than what is allowed.

How is that larger than what is allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

How is that larger than what is allowed?

post edited.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    post edited.

Ah I get ya, I thought I was missing something!

I agree with you, very easy to go over the An Post dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So I play Russian Roulette with 50 quid when ordering, and I have to take time off work to collect a parcel during hours that are convenient only for An Post. OK then, best of luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

delahuntv wrote: »
    a company comes out witha servcie and the whingers search for negatives.

Here's a positive - the last 2 items I got sent to parcel motel were too big for the lockers and I had to go to finglas to collect (from Kildare).

And another - some sites won't send to Northern Ireland, so PM no good for that.

and finally , you can have BOTH a PM account and an addresspal account. Imagine that!! - YOU get to choose what way to send your parcel.

Great to see more choice in the market - and that can only be a good thing. (but sure, that won't appease the whiners)

Well said and great to see an option from an Irish company,If people want to stand at a box in a petrol station at midnight then go knock yourselves out,me,I'll happily queue in my local po to collect. Well done An Post.

jno547 wrote: »
    Well said and great to see an option from an Irish company,If people want to stand at a box in a petrol station at midnight then go knock yourselves out,me,I'll happily queue in my local po to collect. Well done An Post.

Delighted for you but some of us have jobs and cant be queueing in post offices during office hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Delighted for you but some of us have jobs and cant be queueing in post offices during office hours.

Delighted for you to have a job but not all of us work during 'office hours',happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

hmmm wrote: »
    So I play Russian Roulette with 50 quid when ordering, and I have to take time off work to collect a parcel during hours that are convenient only for An Post. OK then, best of luck with that.

then use a different service - dreadfully simple solution for you.

You seem to think that any service anyone offers must work with YOUR life and your life only

My local PO is open til 5.30 everyday and til 1pm Saturday - If I happen upon a product that I can get delivered to a UK mainland address and not to Ireland, then I say THANK-YOU to anpost for giving me the option.

But some people will only ever ever search for negatives. :confused:

Advertisement