Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor rules again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think Katie could give Bernard some trouble in the ring:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

She would beat his Ass
    and David Haye's too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

I think Katie could give Bernard some trouble in the ring:)

No...no....Bernard is an elite fighter.:D

Dodge wrote: »
    You couldn't be further from the truth. However continue to think what you like about me based on internet postings on Sport....

Listen ignoramus- Womens acheivements in sports are not as significant as mens. Period. Nobody cares what the "Arsenal Ladies" are up to. How do I know? Cos a benchwarmer at the Emirates earns more in 1 week than they do in a year, thats how I know. Cos a benchwarmer at the Emirates is a household name, and the ladies who play for Arsenal Ladies aren't even household names in their own households.

End of story.

Katie Taylor has never even fought at the Olympics.

You know why? Cos there is NO OLYMPIC BOXING FOR WOMEN {yet}

You know why?

Cos nobody cares. Its all about the best men from Central Asia, Cuba, Russia and America.

Womens Football is called Womens Football cos to call it "FOOTBALL" would be misleading.

Now go back to yer Arts faculty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Listen ignoramus

Right so. Usually this means either you can't argue my point, or you're simply a ****. Either way...
    Nobody cares what the "Arsenal Ladies" are up to. How do I know?
    Please point out where I said anythign about women's football
    You know why? Cos there is NO OLYMPIC BOXING FOR WOMEN {yet}

You know why?

Cos nobody cares
    So the fact its going to be in the next Olympics obviously means people care?

Any other rubbish points you want to make about significance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, if there is any woman in the world to make people care, it is Katie Taylor, and I think if she holds form until 2012, she will be a real GOBAL star, woman or no woman!

Hero, lose the aggression in the posts. Let's tone it down and try debate with a little more civillty

Who are the biggest names in world athletics for the past few years on this side of the pond ? Kelly Holmes , Paula Radcliffe , Sonia o Sullivan where are all the men?
    What about tennis Nadal and Federer are matched if not surpassed by the Williamses and Sharapova in recognition.

buck65 wrote: »
    Who are the biggest names in world athletics for the past few years on this side of the pond ? Kelly Holmes , Paula Radcliffe , Sonia o Sullivan where are all the men?
    What about tennis Nadal and Federer are matched if not surpassed by the Williamses and Sharapova in recognition.

Could Serena or Penis Williams beat Federer in a game??

Thank you and good night.

David Haye...he's a pretty good name:D:D

And this is what we call the Muppet Show

buck65 wrote: »
    And this is what we call the Muppet Show

I think Kermit could kick the sh!t out of Miss Piggy.....whether Miss Piggy weighed in the same or not.

Katie Taylor is a girl. She could become the UNDISPUTED Champeen of the World in 10 divisions and it would make no difference. Its girls fighting. Not boys.

Who cares who the WOMENS champion is? I know I don't.

Who cares about Laila Ali the same way they do about Roy Jones? Who cares about Jackie Frazier Lyde the same way they do about Joe Frazier?? Nobody.

• Advertisement

I care and I follow here career and think she is superb, but I also do agree that womens sport is always going to lag behind mens.

walshb wrote: »
    I care and I follow here career and think she is superb, but I also do agree that womens sport is always going to lag behind mens.

Especially in boxing, if for no other reason than MEN do it better.:P

Women shouldn't be allowed to box as Pros, for several reasons that have nothing to do with sexism.

For a start, they don't offer the same level of competition. Their participation in the sport approaches irrelevancy as no matter what a woman does, it will always be found wanting when compared to the skill, talent, power and speed of a male comparator.

Secondly, as I have already illustrated, the degree of opportunity for gimmickry and novelty is far too high. Women "fighting" "men":rolleyes: is one example, where, in some fukced up attempt to recreate the Bobby Riggs vs BJ King "Battle of the Sexes" farce of the 1970's is made.

Riggs, an ancient, thoroughly unsuccessful {and washed up to boot} player, who insisted on playing through the opening set in a vinyl top which sweated him to death to get sponsorship money, was outplayed by the greatest Female player of her era who just so happened to be on top of her game.

Invariably, boxing, as with tennis involves an aged, decrepit excuse of a non-fighter, who is shipped in to be out-moved and out-jabbed by a far younger, fitter female opponent with some degree of boxing nous. This is then held up as "proof" that the "gender divide" is a "fabrication" intended to keep women "down":rolleyes:

I don't want to see the game degraded to suit the neo-fascist agenda of some fukcing lesbian dyke feminist who entertains impossible fantasies of swinging-cock Amazons defeating puny men. Let Germaine Greer and her ilk satisfy themselves through writing about men with wombs.:rolleyes:

Last but not least-, When a serious injury finally occurs to a woman in the ring, or one is killed in a high profile situation, it is not "womens boxing" that will be scrutinised, but ALL boxing. In other words, the MENS game, in effect the ONLY TRUE BOXING, will find itself coming under attack, because some out-of-condition mom of 5 with a beer belly was hurt fighting a real fighter.

http://ballardboxing.tripod.com/id48.html

This fight involved no less than a "College Professor"........and she had a 6-4 record....in an amateur fight.:eek: Whats gonna happen when some female pro gets her chest all horribly busted up and is killed live on the undercard of a big fight in Vegas???

I find that vision intolerable.

Women, by dint of their own physical makeup, run the risk of incurring injuries which are peculiar to the female form, swollen breasts, damage to internal organs that men don't have etc. They are also more prone to suffer more lasting facial damage and bad cuts too. In short, they will attract the attention of the "Ban Boxing Brigade" which will insist that ALL boxing be shut down.

Of course, the Pro-Female outfit have their own arguments, One valid argument, particularly valid in the case of one famous Appellant, Jane Couch, is that your tits don't swell if you don't have tits to begin with.:eek: Throw in the whole "Gender Testing" problem and you have some real sordid embarassment in store for the future.:mad: Steroid taking Females with clits like bananas who want to be famous failing gender tests.

Always be mindful of JUST WHY the Marquess of Queensbury had GLOVES introduced- Polite, Prudish Victorian Society, thoroughly ignorant of anything, insisted upon the prevention of the facial injuries suffered by men in bare-knucke bouts.Such disfiguration offended polite society, the same way alcohol consumption offended Middle America:rolleyes:

PC people always know best.:rolleyes:

Of course, nobody knew that the gloves would allow fights go on for longer, allowing people to get their brains pounded for longer. Allow Lenny to explain, you can contradict him if you want....:D

So fellas....are we, the Boxing Public, going to make our own mind up, or allow some Lawyers/FemiNazis/Lesbians do it for us.???

No matter what spin you put on it, Taylor is a talent unheard of IMO. Yes she's a woman, and yes she is not as known as her male counterparts; but she is still awesome.
    Just watch her with an open mind. She is really superb!

No matter what spin you put on it, Taylor is a talent unheard of IMO. Yes she's a woman, and yes she is not as known as her male counterparts; but she is still awesome.
    Just watch her with an open mind. She is really superb!

Dude...I fight out of her gym in Bray.

She's still a girl.;)

I know, but for a girl, she is damn good, don't you think. I am not expecting her to beat men or be as agile or as strong as men. She cannot be, nature will not let her; but it doesn't take away from the fact that she is absolute class!

Take her for what she is, a woman competing against other women in boxing at the highest level there is for women. Why all the negativity and why do you keep stating the obvious, ie, that she's a girl and girls aren't as good as men at sport etc. We all know that.

Take her for what she is, a woman competing against other women in boxing at the highest level there is for women.

Thats like saying so-and-so is the greatest wheelchair basketball player of all time.

Then some 7 foot dude goes flying through the air and slam dunks it.

Its kind of hard to stay focused on how "good" the guy in the wheelchair was.

Yes, you can say "Damn, he's pretty good, for a guy in a wheelchair"..... because in your heart and your head you know he is only as "good as he is" cos he is performing against similarly handicapped opponents and that if he were to take his talent to the logical conclusion, he would be horribly and shockingly outclassed.

For me, I watch Katy fight and I say to myself...."Damn...what a boy would do there".

I understand, you want me to look at her in the abstract, and appreciate her for what she is. I am, trust me, but its hard to call her "Irelands Greatest Athlete"....because, well, she isn't:o

So basically women shouldn't be allowed compete in sport?

And your analogies are farcical and laughable.

You are biased against Katie and women in sport. It has zero to do with their ability as women with you. You don't think she's much because of her sex

So was or is Steffi Graf useless, Jackie Joyner Kersey, Serena Williams, Sonia O'Sullivan,
    Martina Hingis etc etc.

Forget the fact they are women and simply judge them on what they do as WOMEN, not on the whole sport aspect.

Oh, an how about those amazing female gymnasts?
    Are you going to dismiss them as well simply because they are women.

Again, I am not comparing sexes, but I think the women elite gymnasts are every
    bit as good as the men and actually prefer watching them, just slightly.

I am not comparing Taylor or any other great female athlete with their male counterparts; but you don't seem to realise this, otherwise you wouldn't be replying with the same negative posts.

Do not compare against the great male athletes. We are simply judging her on her ability as a female competitor.

To be honest, I think my time is wasted on you, as you repeatedly are focusing on Taylor from a male standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think she might have turned hoc down when he met her in the gym in Bray:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

If you box out of Bray, have you ever sparred her ?

In my opinion, no matter how big you are, there's a strong possibility that a small, weak girl could beat the sh!te out of you !

She regularly spars with the senior champs in St. Michael's Athy, as there isn't good enough sparring most anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

They are also more prone to suffer more lasting facial damage and bad cuts too.

Hang on, your a doctor and make a statement like this? womens skin and flesh is the same organ type as mens, why would it have a different damage possibility than mens?

there is plenty of women boxers out there with no facial damage, actually i dont know 1 that has any! im sure there is but my point still stands.

im not going to say im a big fan of girls boxing but i think if they want to do it then they should have the same rights as everyone else, and i'll always support irish in any event regardless of sex or sport type.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

So basically women shouldn't be allowed compete in sport?

And your analogies are farcical and laughable.

You are biased against Katie and women in sport. It has zero to do with their ability as women with you. You don't think she's much because of her sex

So was or is Steffi Graf useless, Jackie Joyner Kersey, Serena Williams, Sonia O'Sullivan,
    Martina Hingis etc etc.

Forget the fact they are women and simply judge them on what they do as WOMEN, not on the whole sport aspect.

Oh, an how about those amazing female gymnasts?
    Are you going to dismiss them as well simply because they are women.

Again, I am not comparing sexes, but I think the women elite gymnasts are every
    bit as good as the men and actually prefer watching them, just slightly.

I am not comparing Taylor or any other great female athlete with their male counterparts; but you don't seem to realise this, otherwise you wouldn't be replying with the same negative posts.

Do not compare against the great male athletes. We are simply judging her on her ability as a female competitor.

To be honest, I think my time is wasted on you, as you repeatedly are focusing on Taylor from a male standpoint.

The typically outraged response of modern Irish do-gooders. I met a tonne of people like you at the Special Olympics. "LABEL THEM ABLE"..roared McAleese...."NO" says I. "WHY!!!! YOU RACIST"..says she...."COS HE IS IN A ****ING WHEELCHAIR" said I.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I never said they shouldn't be "allowed to compete in sport"...where did I say that???

I said it was hard to regard Taylor as "Irelands Greatest Athlete" when it was perfectly obvious that she was nothing of the kind. Same for Michelle Smith.

Do you work for Magill Magazine? The Irish Refugee Council?? One of these organisations whose job it is to seek out the last shred of free opinion and destroy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

This debate is farcical.

Men's sport is Men Vs Men, Women's sport is Women Vs Women.

To say Katie Taylor shouldn't box because she is a woman and would be beaten by a man is idiotic in the extreme.

Hero - what about featherweights? Should they not be allowed box either because if they were to get in a ring with a heavyweight they'd be destroyed.

You are a clown, and I'm sick of reading your diatribes.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Hang on, your a doctor and make a statement like this? womens skin and flesh is the same organ type as mens, why would it have a different damage possibility than mens?

there is plenty of women boxers out there with no facial damage, actually i dont know 1 that has any! im sure there is but my point still stands.

im not going to say im a big fan of girls boxing but i think if they want to do it then they should have the same rights as everyone else, and i'll always support irish in any event regardless of sex or sport type.

It just does. Why can kids spin around without ever getting dizzy like adults do? Just happens. Also, you have to factor in the effect of long-term cessation of menstruation. This brings its own problems. A womans chest contains glands and fatty tissues that a mans doesn't.

Just to reiterate:- I am not one of these "stop them for their own good" types- I am saying stop them for the GOOD OF THE SPORT.... Like I say, when a woman gets killed in a high profile circumstance, and the media have a field day, then you'll see.

joker77 wrote: »
    This debate is farcical

Which one??
    Men's sport is Men Vs Men, Women's sport is Women Vs Women.

No, it isn't always that simple. Like I said, one of the spin-offs of "professional":rolleyes: womens "boxing" is that gimmickry such as "man" vs woman fights creep in. Its like the cat and the cream. People can't help themselves.

So you see, there are debates within debates.
    Joker wrote:
    To say Katie Taylor shouldn't box because she is a woman and would be beaten by a man is idiotic in the extreme.

Never said that. Where did I say that, you defamtory clown?? I said I can't regard her as Irelands greatest ever athlete, because she's a girl. There were better boxers out there who boxed at a higher level. She can fight all she likes and she can win all she likes and Carruths Gold in Barcelona will still RULE.
    Joker wrote:
    Hero - what about featherweights? Should they not be allowed box either because if they were to get in a ring with a heavyweight they'd be destroyed.

What? What? WHat?
    Joker wrote:
    You are a clown, and I'm sick of reading your diatribes.
    #

You haven't read a single word I said. If you did, you would see my point. Now put down the latte, the Guardian Newspaper and go back and read them again, Suburban do-gooder!!!:pac:

theone wrote: »
    if she stays amateur we should get a gold in 2012 fingers crossed on women's boxing being let in.

She's turning pro...she's not waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It just does. Why can kids spin around without ever getting dizzy like adults do? Just happens. Also, you have to factor in the effect of long-term cessation of menstruation. This brings its own problems. A womans chest contains glands and fatty tissues that a mans doesn't.

Heroofcollege, im not been smart, im a personal trainer and learned lots about anatomy and physiology and also myology! as a doctor i would expect you to know a bit more than me now, your statement is wrong, and your response is just a cop out, menstruation? maybe! chest? your right, thats why they where padding for this.

oh and why some kids dont get dizzy where adults might!
    thats got to do with the nervous system, if you spin a lot you will get used to it, kids do spin a lot, adults dont spin a lot, simple really.
    She's turning pro...she's not waiting.

No she's not!
    she's on record for saying she wants to fight in the olympics, if they wont be included well the she may just go pro!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Which one??
    Just the usual trolling you're doing here
    No, it isn't always that simple. Like I said, one of the spin-offs of "professional":rolleyes: womens "boxing" is that gimmickry such as "man" vs woman fights creep in. Its like the cat and the cream. People can't help themselves.
    I'm afraid it is that simple. "Gimmickry" isn't sport, and you should try to not confuse the two.
    So you see, there are debates within debates.
    So there is a debate now is there? Make up your mind jackass
    Never said that. Where did I say that
    I'm sorry, I must have misread this:
    Women shouldn't be allowed to box as Pros
    you defamtory clown??
    I have read your posts, maybe you should reread them.... you seem to have the memory of a child. Oh I forgot, trolls have a short memory with regard to their own posts.

I said I can't regard her as Irelands greatest ever athlete, because she's a girl.
    I think this really sums you up.

I'm not saying I regard Katie Taylor as Ireland's greatest athlete, because I don't. But I wouldn't discount here for the simple fact she's a girl. There's no other way to describe that except blatantly sexist.

I think she might have turned hoc down when he met her in the gym in Bray:D

Ha ha....actually she is very shy and receeding. Even her Dad is very quiet. She is involved so heavily in boxing that Prince Charming could walk in and I doubt she would pay him an ounce of attention. Years ago I shook her hand and it was the most timid little mitt I ever squeezed. The kid is so reserved its unreal.

Oddly enough, while we are on the subject, I think Steve Bunces last show on Setanta {Just before Frankie went to Planet Hollywood and couldn't make the weight} there was a segment devoted to Womens Boxing.

Cathy Brown was on, talking about how women have to be "media whores" before they will get the attention they deserved. She basically suggested that Women, before they even get in the ring, have to have some sort of a "Handle" or an "outside the ring" reputation.

This coming from a woman who features in one of the old "Title Fitness" catalogues under the name Cathy "THE BITCH" Brown.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So not only does she acknowledge the incumbent degree of HORSESH!T attendant upon womens boxing, she then plays along with it.:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Maybe if the women got it on in short shorts or thongs..... Just thinking out loud here :D

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    No she's not!
    she's on record for saying she wants to fight in the olympics, if they wont be included well the she may just go pro!

She will turn pro. Her dad told me.

As for the medical stuff...I will say my thing and you will say yours, so its pointless really.

And I'm not being smart. People in Court do it all the time, they drag in their medical experts, on both sides.

Advertisement