Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-01-2020, 19:21   #241
wgman

I've become very interested in the Irish War of Independence recently so I'll post some of books on that subject that I've obtained in the last couple of years.

"Kerry's fighting story, 1916-21 : told by the men who made it : with a unique pictorial record of the period"
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 19:24   #242
wgman

Another good book on the period of the Irish War of Independence about a figure from the war who should be much more well known.

"Rebel Heart: George Lennon: Flying Column Commander" by Terence O'Reilly
Thanks from:
09-01-2020, 14:51   #243
Captain Havoc
English, Deutsch, Francais.

I'm slowly going through Kilkenny in revolutionary times by Eoin Swithin Walsh. It's good and easy read, I'm just stuck for time to read it in.
(2) thanks from:
23-01-2020, 18:58   #244
Nika Bolokov

Found the Nigerian History Quiz Book a fun way to navigate the history of Africa's most populous and diverse country.
Thanks from:
10-03-2020, 20:07   #245
BalcombeSt4

I have a ton of books on Northern Ireland conflict. The Best ones I have are

A great series by Henry McDondald, Jim Cusack & Jack Holland on the non-IRA paramilitaries which include.... "INLA - Deadly Divisions" I have both the 1994 & 2007 versions, the updated version of "UVF - Endgame" & "The UDA - Inside The Heart of Loyalist Terror" - Great books, I love all the little details about dates, times, places, how exactly an action happened etc... I don't like the political tone, but it's a very well written book.

"The Road to Balcombe Street: The IRA Reign Terror in London" by Steven P. Moysey - Very interesting book, badly written in that there's spelling mistakes on every second page, but even still a fascinating book.
Advertisement
10-03-2020, 20:55   #246
BalcombeSt4

Peter Taylors book on the IRA, "Provos: Behind The Mask" - I thinks that's the best book written on the Provisional IRA. Peter Taylor unlike a lot of other authors really understands the the Republican movement & it's culture, and he has a great insight into it.

"Big boys Rules: The SAS and the Secret Struggle against the IRA" by Mark Urban is briliant. Again I love the little details he goes into, for example like explaining the IRA's digger bomb attack on The Birches, from planning stages, right up until the IRA Volunteers got back to safety, explaining how man men were used & how they were used, that a small bomb attack on Pomperoy barracks wa just a diversion, how the IRA vols escaped into Belfast b boat through Lough Neagh which is only about a mile from the Birches. Details like that in it were great.

Anne CadWallader's books "Lethal Allies: Britih Collusion in Ireland" is a great book on the activities of the Glenanne Gang from 1972 - 1978.

And both Don Mullan's & Joe Tiernan's books on the Dublin & Monaghan bombings are both very good.
(3) thanks from:
17-03-2020, 18:30   #247
Manach

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.
Re-reading this for the excellent sections on how the crew survived months of social isolation on limited rations during the time they were trapped on the ice-flows.
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 23:01   #248
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

I mentioned in another thread that I'd read Marc Morris' three books, A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain, King John: Treachery, Tyranny and the Road to Magna Carta & The Norman Conquest. I highly recommend all three books. Morris seems to have really done his research and constructs an excellent and compelling narrative for all three books.

I recently finished Dan Jones' The Plantagenets: The Kings Who Made England. It's a good primer to the subject but I do think that, for myself at least it's better to read a whole work about a specific monarch or historical figure as even a few chapters only really scratch the surface. I think this book was originally only intended to chronicle the life of Richard II but it evolved to cover the entire Plantagenet line beginning with Geoffrey of Anjou and finishing with Richard II's deposition by Henry of Bolingbroke.

Today, I've started Lauren Johnson's Shadow King: The Life and Death of Henry VI. My housemate has been raving about this one and he's quite well read on English history. So far, I'm impressed. Johnson writes a very engaging narrative. So far, I'm still on the introductory material about Henry V but I think I'm going to really enjoy this. The Wars of the Roses is a very complex topic but to read the Yorkist side, I've picked up Thomas Penn's The Brothers York: An English Tragedy, again at the recommendation of my housemate.
Thanks from:
12-04-2020, 23:18   #249
BalcombeSt4

Homage To Catalonia.

It's still so relevant to our world today.

It's a little more to do with the revolution rather than the civil war & a lot on the in-fighting between the the CNT, the POUM, The Stalinists & other left groups. It paints a grim picture of war, Orwell points out that the poorer people in Barcelona looked upon the Francoist Assault Guards "as something rather resembling the Black and Tans"
He goes on to say that...
"when I see an actual flesh & blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman , I do not have to ask myself which side I am on (the workers).

^ Shades there of the conflicts in Ireland, in the 1920's the RIC & the Auxies, in following decades the RUC & B-Specials and later UDR. And their enemy was mostly poor, working class Irish people.

Like Noam Chomsky I think this is Orwells best book, along with "Burmese Days".

Last edited by BalcombeSt4; 12-04-2020 at 23:23.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-04-2020, 09:44   #250
BloodyBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Homage To Catalonia.

It's still so relevant to our world today.

It's a little more to do with the revolution rather than the civil war & a lot on the in-fighting between the the CNT, the POUM, The Stalinists & other left groups. It paints a grim picture of war, Orwell points out that the poorer people in Barcelona looked upon the Francoist Assault Guards "as something rather resembling the Black and Tans"
He goes on to say that...
"when I see an actual flesh & blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman , I do not have to ask myself which side I am on (the workers).

^ Shades there of the conflicts in Ireland, in the 1920's the RIC & the Auxies, in following decades the RUC & B-Specials and later UDR. And their enemy was mostly poor, working class Irish people.

Like Noam Chomsky I think this is Orwells best book, along with "Burmese Days".
Ah the 'working class' get way too much homage. The working class are always in the heart of conflict with the law..its followed on to the Guards from the RIC .I d agree with that assertion..Luckily most people are middle class now . If I see a policeman keeping the peace against a bunch of trots or vandals I want to lend a hand.
13-04-2020, 11:42   #251
Manach

Mod Note: @BloodyBill - Please keep posts on topic, i.e. recommended historical resources.
(2) thanks from:
06-05-2020, 15:21   #252
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
Today, I've started Lauren Johnson's Shadow King: The Life and Death of Henry VI. My housemate has been raving about this one and he's quite well read on English history. So far, I'm impressed. Johnson writes a very engaging narrative. So far, I'm still on the introductory material about Henry V but I think I'm going to really enjoy this. The Wars of the Roses is a very complex topic but to read the Yorkist side, I've picked up Thomas Penn's The Brothers York: An English Tragedy, again at the recommendation of my housemate.
This one's a recommendation I think.

I'm going to read Penn's Yorkist book next and his biography of Henry Tudor.

Has anyone here read anything good about Henry VIII? There's a few books focusing on his wives and one by Alison Weir who's not a historian.
10-05-2020, 01:32   #253
Batrachotox

I’ve started on “The Boer War” by Thomas Packenham - very much enjoyed the Scramble for Africa which is the last book of his I read so hoping this will be of a similar standard
10-05-2020, 01:37   #254
Batrachotox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
Has anyone here read anything good about Henry VIII? There's a few books focusing on his wives and one by Alison Weir who's not a historian.
Tracy Borman has one on Henry VIII himself, might be a good place to start. I believe she also has an upcoming book covering all the Tudors.
(2) thanks from:
24-05-2020, 20:28   #255
Manach

For the period of the Old West of the US, "Dreams of El Dorado" by W. Brands was an excellent read.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion