Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-05-2020, 13:56   #106
nacho libre

The burnt grass will soon be all gone from my lawn.
Advertisement
23-05-2020, 15:26   #107
RobertKK

I know some think we all want dry with warm to hot weather, but the problem remains as many parts of the country have not received enough rain and water restrictions or wells going dry is going to be a real possibility.
(3) thanks from:
23-05-2020, 17:47   #108
SouthWesterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
I know some think we all want dry with warm to hot weather, but the problem remains as many parts of the country have not received enough rain and water restrictions or wells going dry is going to be a real possibility.
Farmers are struggling with the lack of water. No water, no veg, no grass for cattle.
(2) thanks from:
24-05-2020, 11:11   #109
Oneiric 3

Chart showing running 28 day runnig percentage totals (blue) compared with the running 365 day average for the country as a whole:

(data c/o Met Eireann)

Despite the recent rain (which did help bring roughly near average amounts over the last 7 days) we still, as many have noted above, remain in a what is now pretty long running dry spell, and if this meteogram for Kilkenny, based on the latest ECM run, is anything to go by the very little if any useful rain is in the forecast for this coming working week for these harder hit regions:

And countrywide rainfall total forecast up to Friday evening from the same model:

And pretty similar story with regards the latest GFS rainfall total forecast out to the same period, but with more of a chance of higher totals (mainly due to potential showers breaking out during the midweek period) in the drier regions.

Let's see.

Charts and maps taken from here: https://meteologix.com/ie
(3) thanks from:
24-05-2020, 11:40   #110
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWesterly View Post
Farmers are struggling with the lack of water. No water, no veg, no grass for cattle.
They really should try and have some system in place to store water for the year for times like this, we had 8 months of deluges and more rain than we could handle between August last summer and the start of March just gone. Dry spells like the current one are not that uncommon in Ireland, a bit of planning for times like this would go along way!.
Advertisement
24-05-2020, 11:58   #111
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
They really should try and have some system in place to store water for the year for times like this, we had 8 months of deluges and more rain than we could handle between August last summer and the start of March just gone. Dry spells like the current one are not that uncommon in Ireland, a bit of planning for times like this would go along way!.
Back in February passing flooded fields, i said to my mother the farmers should be storing this water in case we go from one extreme to the other. On the upside, anyone doing Turf is saving plenty in these times.

Last edited by nacho libre; 24-05-2020 at 13:36.
(4) thanks from:
24-05-2020, 13:11   #112
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
Back in February passing flooded fields, i said to my mother the farmers should should be storing this water in case we go from one extreme to the other. On the upside, anyone doing Turf is saving plenty in these times.
An inch of rain equates to about 80k litrees per acre, land is short about 2 inches now.

That is a lot of water
24-05-2020, 16:08   #113
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzy View Post
An inch of rain equates to about 80k litrees per acre, land is short about 2 inches now.

That is a lot of water
At easier and cheaper to feed out silage during droughts to cattle than try store that sort of volume of water.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 10:57   #114
sryanbruen

The brown grass at the moment in Dublin, about a month earlier than 2018 from what I remember.

Pic at Sutton Strand yesterday afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E7D35C9-C344-4372-A3C7-E12AE25B2323.jpeg (3.76 MB, 91 views)
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:21   #115
RobertKK

Quote:
One inch of rain falling on 1 acre of ground is equal to about 27,154 gallons and weighs about 113 tons
102,800 litres is one inch of rain over 1 acre.

Yeah so a 100 acre farm for the equivalent of an inch of rain would need about 10.28 million litres and that would be in one go and if over 8 weeks of dry weather and one needed let say 5 inches of rain over that period, that would be 51.4 million litres of water!
Yesterday, 17:29   #116
Gaoth Laidir

I'll raise you:

To average 1.0 mm of rainfall over the whole country requires 84.4 trillion litres of rain. That's 84.4 billion tonnes or 34.5 million Olympic swimming pools.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion